SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Scutum nova 4 August 2017

Moonshane

Finally caught up with this. Not as easy as I first expected and needed careful comparison and a sketch beforehand to allow me to confirm. Here's my sketch done st the eyepiece over two nights of chasing sucker  holes.

20170805_003518.jpg

Amazing stuff. I spent three hours just observing tonight, I was planning on imaging but my dad came up so we just looked at the sky.  On my pc in the observatory I've starting googling for sketches eg m57 sketch. Because just like this sketch it gives a much more realistic view of what can be seen in the eyepiece.  I was then able to show him what to expect to see and it really helped him find stuff in the EP. 

Cheers all. There are a number of reasons I do sketches including to concentrate my observing, to illustrate me notebook so I can look back and enjoy reading them occasionally and also to encourage others to look for things and do the same. I also agree completely that the sketched eyepiece view is vastly different from the images you'll often see and more useful especially to beginners. Basically though, I just enjoy it! :icon_biggrin:

The amazing thing with this one is that other than the sketch which was done on white paper with black pens, the image, the reversal and the upload were all done on my phone!

Clear night at last. Set up the Orion VX8 solely to view the Nova again and to determine its magnitude. Since my last observing session this Nova has gone fainter. Checking the nearby stars I would estimate the magnitude to be around 9.3. I used my Ethos 13mm giving 69X mag and a FOV of 1.4 degrees.

22 hours ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Clear night at last. Set up the Orion VX8 solely to view the Nova again and to determine its magnitude. Since my last observing session this Nova has gone fainter. Checking the nearby stars I would estimate the magnitude to be around 9.3. I used my Ethos 13mm giving 69X mag and a FOV of 1.4 degrees.

Well done Mark - the moon was not far from Scutum last night so it would have been quite challenging I reckon !

We had a society public observing session last night but I was assigned other objects to show folks so didn't get around to the nova, unfortunately.

Archived