Dob at Zenith

i have had a little trouble getting my 130pm newt to point at the zenith as things get a little tricky turning the funny screw at back. i have to use this as i have no idea how EQ mode works i have tried but to no avail so i am stuck in ALt/Az mode.

would a dob be easier to aim at the zenith as i feel i am missing out, all the sites say objects are clearer and at their best when at zenith.

cheers for the help guys and gals

Steve

Do you mean the flexi controls are hard to turn.

If so, is it because they are hitting the tube or are they just stiff.

If they hit the tube there is not much you can do except move the tube up and down in the mount rings.

If it is just stiff then, detach it and then re-attach. This seeems to allow the metal inside them to untwist.

It's an equatorial mount and you shouldn't be trying to use it as an alt / az mount :) The altitude adjustment screw should only be used to set the alt to your local Latitude, (probably around 53 degrees where you are). This allows you to use the motor track the sky when the mount is pointed at the North Celestial Pole.

I have a 130PM and the first few nights were a struggle for me too :clouds2: The equatorial mount just doesn't feel right to begin with and trying to use it in the dark makes it even more difficult to learn.

I can only suggest;

1) Look for help / tutorials on the net, here's one I just found - http://www.astronomyboy.com/eq/

2) Practice with it in the day to get used to it. (it's always cloudy anyway)

3) Maybe read the manual again to make sure you've got it balanced properly etc.

Hope you get it sorted, it does come as second nature after a very short time.

Ian

You should defo continue with the EQ mount IMHO as they enable you to track the sky which means you don't need to constantly move it.

They are easy to use once you get used to them, it will only take a few minutes to learn the basics.

I assume the reason that the bolt you were turning would not move anymore was that it was coming to the end of its thread length. Not a good idea.

Just get the scope out with the moon up for example, point the scope north and then swing the scope round to face the moon. After that use the flexi controls for fine adjustment which you will be able to learn by simple looking at the moon as you move them.

Swinging the scope to the moon is easy as you just unlock the clutches and then move the scope in both axis at the same time, kind a diagonal movement.

Good luck.

Many equatorial mounts work very well in alt-azimuth mode and I know that Vixen show you exactly how to do that in their manual for the SP mount.

Obviously the mount won't then track the stars so easily and you will need to use the slow motion controls manually (up a bit, across a bit, up a bit etc) to do this but it's a perfectly legitimate alternative way to use the mount.

Here is a piccy of a Vixen Polaris mount (similar to an EQ3-2 mount) in that mode:

8270_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

John

yeah i have been using my mount in alt/az mode as the EQ mode just seems wrong, hard to get to grips with it, when i only need to go up and a bit across instead its swing it round 3 times, touch your toes and hope lol.

yeah i have been using my mount in alt/az mode as the EQ mode just seems wrong, hard to get to grips with it, when i only need to go up and a bit across instead its swing it round 3 times, touch your toes and hope lol.

EQ mounts do take some getting used to and to start with they never seem to want to go where you point them !.

I found practicing using the mount in daylight helped get used to how it wanted to move. The good thing about them is, once they are pointed at an astro object, you only need to move them on one axis (the right ascension or RA axis) to track the object.

John

Archived