Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher Star Adventurer

Hi All

After debating on buying one of the new Alt Az mounts, motorised or non-motorised, I decided that I'm an imager at heart.

The Star Adventurer astro package arrived yesterday.  One of the main guys in the local astro club is a dealer and pretty much price matched but minus the delivery charges that mainland dealers charge to send to us over here.

Its a wee bit complicated at first glance as there are a lot of combinations of setups.

I put my Lunt on it, hopefully it's set up in a sensible and safe way!

Ive had a very brief flick through the manual, all the settings seem via several button presses etc, so hoping to get don pointers on here.

Thanks in advance 

Adam

IMG_5061.JPG

IMG_5062.JPG

IMG_5063.JPG

9 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

Nice little scope.... use it and practice and before you know it, you'll know it like the back of your hand. Those mounts are not complicated at all, quite logical... 

Been shocking weather here, but I'll try to mount it looking out the window to see how time lapse setting etc work. 

3 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Been shocking weather here, but I'll try to mount it looking out the window to see how time lapse setting etc work. 

Perhaps it is good if you have a half'n half kind of weather, you can use that time to get to know it... than when you end up with perfect clarity you'll be able to get more out of it during the night.

But weather seems to go to shot every time anyone of us get a new space toy.

3 minutes ago, Pig said:

I guess that sticker saying Manfrotto kind of gives it away ?

Hi there

Yep it's a Manfrotto 055C.  I bought it used in 2006.  I dont know much but as far as I know it's a fairly good model

24 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Hi there

Yep it's a Manfrotto 055C.  I bought it used in 2006.  I dont know much but as far as I know it's a fairly good model

I will have to look it up to see if I can get something the same or similar ? Thank you.

Here's my setup, been using it a couple of weeks in Spain. At 18mm you only need to set the latitude and point it north to get 90 sec exp with no trailing. 200mm needs the polar alignment done properly, but easy. I use the snap cable with the camera and the built in exposures work really well 

IMG_1115.JPG

IMG_1122.JPG

On 04/08/2017 at 11:40, tooth_dr said:

Hi there

After searching all over the web I have just managed to source a Manfrotto 055XPROB from WEX, thanks for the info ? Should arrive tomorrow.

7 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

How much ?

Dave

What is it they say?! If you have to ask you probably can't .... lol

Only joking, dear enough tripod but hasn't put a foot (or is that leg) wrong in years  

9 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

How much ?

Dave

£71 (customer return) I also bought a ball head with quick release adapter for £64 (new).

There are quite a few decent tripods available on EBay Dave, if you want a link to one I almost bought before seeing this one let me know.... it's pretty good.

These are very nice as well:  https://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=details&id=249&sprache=english

There is a bit larger size available, too. I got that for my Star Adventurer, both for plane travelling with a Takahashi FS-60CB
I bought this combination for the incredible low weight and portability. Using a modded Canon 750D with it and a M-gen for guiding, that a friend offered to lent me.
No results yet, but I am confident it will work out pretty good.

@Waldemar thats a nice wee tripod, like a work of art.

I've just bought suction mount for mine, may or may not work, but I figured I can give it a go.

Last night was my first half go at using the mount.  A very brief polar alignment at dusk, and 120s at 18mm was 100%.  I know this doesnt mean much, but at least it's working!

Archived