Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Clamping Adapter For Camera

Hey guys, the dark nights are soon returning here in Denmark! (The major downside of living at 57 latitude) And I am going to be buy a small upgrade, the Skywatcher 150PDS Newtonian. I am going to use it both visually and for astrophotography, hence this version. I do already have the T-ring for my Nikon and a T-adapter, BUT, I wanna know if there is an adapter that provides a better grip on the t-adapter, that is low-profile and fits the Skywatcher?
Something like the Baader click-lock? I've always been scared of the telescope dropping my DSLR, when it hangs in weird positions, and would rather eliminate that fear.

The different adapter sizes and threads confuse the hell out of me though, so I'd rather ask here on what you'd think I need. I have both a 2-inch and a 1.25inch t-adapter, but as I've heard, using the 2-inch should solve vignetting issues, so I might go for a 2-inch locking adapter. (So far I've been using the 1.25-inch, as I needed a barlow to gain focus with my current 130mm celestron newtonian.

//Mathias

Hi Mathias,

I use one of these

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/flo-compression-ring-adapter-for-skywatcher-newtonians-m54.html

It replaces the adapter in the focus tube of the 150PDS and gives a very secure 2-inch connection. 

If you're worried about the DSLR falling off then what I do is keep the neck strap on and hook it over the finder scope :-)

Vern

11 minutes ago, vernmid said:

Hi Mathias,

I use one of these

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/flo-compression-ring-adapter-for-skywatcher-newtonians-m54.html

It replaces the adapter in the focus tube of the 150PDS and gives a very secure 2-inch connection. 

If you're worried about the DSLR falling off then what I do is keep the neck strap on and hook it over the finder scope :-)

Vern

Thank you vern, that might exactly be what I am after! :)
Yes I've been doing that too, and might still do so after I've gotten the adapter. If it lost grip, it would just still swing around, which isn't a too pleasant thought! Might work as a fail-safe at least, though I don't expect the clamp to give away that easily.

It states that it also fits celestron telescopes, I don't see where that would fit then though. I guess the Skywatcher has a thread that the celestrons don't have for the 2-inch adapter. Mine is just inserted and secured with screws. Only the 1.25'' is threaded on :)

7 hours ago, vernmid said:

Hi Mathias,

I don't know much about Celestron scopes, sorry.

I found that adapter to be really good. Much better than the standard one on the 130PDS.

Hope it all works out

Cheers

Vern

Thanks again. I've ordered one, together with some other small "quality-of-life" improving equipment, then we'll see how it fairs. Even if it turns out to only be a slight improvement, then I'll still be happy. Together with a new scope that, that'll be something to look forward to!

I am looking to buy a Coma Corrector too. Is that something you have experience with? It seems that the Baarder Mark-III MPCC, is a common choice for people, although some also complain about it making the start more "bloated"? :)

Cannot the nosepiece of the T adapter been screwed off and the camera adapter itself be screwed in in the place of the eyepiece adapter?  In that way you will have a threaded connection, much better then with the use of a nose piece.

1 hour ago, Waldemar said:

Cannot the nosepiece of the T adapter been screwed off and the camera adapter itself be screwed in in the place of the eyepiece adapter?  In that way you will have a threaded connection, much better then with the use of a nose piece.

The one that I use right now is one solid piece, that connects to the T-ring. Like then inserting a 1.25 eye piece. Same with the 2 inch I believe. Haven't had that out in a while.

very often, the T-adapter and camera bajonet adapter are two pieces screwed together.

The same for the eyepiece holder. The 2" holder can be screwed out and then the camera bajonet adapter can go in it's place. That will give you a very solid connection

Archived