SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Webcam collimation

Hi guys,

After watching a youtube video posted by astronomyshed

I decided to modify my webcam to use it as a collimation tool.

DSC_1131.thumb.JPG.4573ecfb5edf51e39afb0a360d309387.JPG

Now the thing is that I don't know if what I've done is right or not. Does the sensor have to be alligned in any way with the 1.25" tube to get a perfect reading?

I had a try ant this is what came out of it.

Collimation.thumb.jpg.8a36294d25c0a15ff6cfb6acb84da56a.jpg

Do you think that my collimation can be incorrect if the sensor is not alligned with the tube?

Emil

If you turn the webcam round in the focuser whilst watching the images on the PC screen they wont move if the camera/tube is reasonably collimated.

To me that's a really important step that was missed in the video.

I ended up finding the sweet spot of the camera in the eyepiece adapter then supergluing it to hold it then running a bead of 5 min epoxy around it - the image doesn't move at all when the camera is turned through 360º

Worth checking or you could be introducing errors - also if you used this method for squaring the focuser its worth going back after recollimating the webcam to check that the focuser actually is square.

Hope that makes sense - if not I can take some photos tomorrow.

5 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

If you turn the webcam round in the focuser whilst watching the images on the PC screen they wont move if the camera/tube is reasonably collimated.

To me that's a really important step that was missed in the video.

I ended up finding the sweet spot of the camera in the eyepiece adapter then supergluing it to hold it then running a bead of 5 min epoxy around it - the image doesn't move at all when the camera is turned through 360º

Thanks, I didn't think of that.

About the focuser squaring, I thought about looking for a tutorial or something of how to do it. Don't know how yet.

Emil

Archived