Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Whirlpool spot!

Fozzie

Morning,

Just checked on Helioviewer the progress of my weekend photo opportunity and she's (am I allowed to infer gender in to a sun spot?) looking excellent, a perfect round spot surrounded by swirling faculae, reminds me of a whirlpool..

59817f81f08aa_sunspotwhirlpool.thumb.jpg.a21b05cbd59d0fa1b27f6e11eedd19a7.jpg

Hoping some of our usual imagers get a chance today, my next forecast clear skies are at the weekend!

Ta

Fozzie

A rare gap in the clouds today revealed that the new {old 2665?) "whirlpool" spot is still whirling nicely. A faint but large prom that appeared to be lifting off yesterday is still clinging on for dear life. Several other smaller features round the edge. Good transparency and seeing but hampered by the strong wind shaking the telescope.   :icon_biggrin:

I got a look at this earlier this afternoon, very nice. The small double spot above to the right I split but it came and went with the seeing. Then a thunderstorm brought things to an abrupt end.

I viewed this in white light yesterday morning (10:00) and got some cracking views, and what looked like the start of a light bridge across the umbra of the main spot and the second small spot to the north-east(?) was clearly visible, though the seeing came and went as others have commented.  

I looked again at about 18:00 and could see no trace of the small second spot.  This is why I'm enjoying Solar, things change so quickly.

Ade

Archived