SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Parking restrictions in US for forth coming eclipse

S.A.M

Does anyone know what parking restrictions the United States have?  Can you park anyway or only in car parks etc as I will be travelling on the day to view the eclipse.  Only going about 40 miles BUT that could take a long time to reach.

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

If you pull over along the road, your vehicle must be completely off the pavement. Local law enforcement is telling people via the news not to pull off on the roadsides, especially freeways. Private driveways require the landowner's permission to park; I don't think that would be an issue, but many people are charging spectators to use their land for viewing sites.

In many ways, I'll be glad when this is over.

Check for roads being closed off. In Aus at the Cairns eclipse the Police closed the roads leading in. Did it to prevent all cars piling in at the last moment and trouble starting from frayed tempers. I have read somewhere that the US police may do the same, however this may be an area to area decision. I would suspect that it is an option they have considered and so may impliment if the situation requires.

All the main roads will have heavy traffic, well I would expect them to. So on the day of it get going early, very early as you have 40 miles. It may be an easy trip and you get whereever early and are sat around, but at least you are there. Even if a bit bored and calling me an idiot.

For the UK one some years ago I travelled down kind of ovwernight, arrived at about dawn and the car park I ended up in was over half full of people who had done the same. Meant I could make a coffee, eat something and have a kip.

Not been said but getting out afterwards will also be a nightmare, likely worse. At least to get in people will be travelling over a slight spread of time. the get out bit is however all at once.

Go to a shopping center (centre) car park, or a public park or playground if you have a scope to set up and are worried about about paying. Traffic will be as usual, as most all of the population will be going about their business and may only have a momentary interest in the eclipse.  There is a 70 mile wide viewing corridor over 3000 miles long, so there's plenty of space to do your thing without worrying. Remember Y2K ?

I've decided to stay home, do my imaging from my backyard (Garden). And to record the Special on TV.

Let them deal with come what may.

I live in the 60% zone. It beats dealing with the weather, smoke, and crowds.

Besides, my new camera cost less than the gas (petrol) would have to drive 2,000 miles round trip. :wink:

I'm sliding right in to oldfartdom. :lol:

On 8/1/2017 at 14:38, S.A.M said:

Does anyone know what parking restrictions the United States have?  Can you park anyway or only in car parks etc as I will be travelling on the day to view the eclipse.  Only going about 40 miles BUT that could take a long time to reach.

Peter

I would caution you to be very carefull if pulling off the roads in Wyoming.

They have these wide expanses called a bar ditch. It's where the snow goes from plowing the roads. They can be very swampy and a tow to get you unstuck could cost a small fortune.

Oh, and we drive on the wrong side of the roads here.... :happy8: And our steering wheels are on the wrong side of the cars...:BangHead:

Archived