Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

The one and only object photographed during my recent holiday to Poland in Zakopane.
Still testing my new QHY168 Color camera and trying to learn MaximDL...
Scope: Skywatcher EVOSTAR 80ED DS-Pro
Mount: HEQ5Pro
Camera: QHY168C
Filter Optolong L-PRO MAX Luminosity
Guiding camera: ZWO ASI120MM
Guiding scope: Panagor 400mm
27x300s exposure at -10°C (135min total)
binning 1x1
8xdarks
5xbias

Andromeda SD mask 2 sml.jpg

• Like 12

23 minutes ago, Allinthehead said:

Beautiful m31. Background sky is looking a tad purple on my screen but looks to be easily sorted. 

I've tried to remove it but I think I'm too tired to see the right colors.. :D

Andromeda SD mask 2 sml.jpg

• Like 5

Huum, the first one is another example of an image that looks green / purple on my home PC but when I view it at work looks fine. Either way the second on is the better. Really nice natural looking image :)

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By stevewanstall
      Celestron 9.25 at f6.3, SW EQ6R pro, Canon 550 D modded
      The galaxy group Hickson 44 in Leo. This is based on 29 x 240 s, plus bias and flats.

Hickson 44 in Leo:

There are some other galaxies near by, some of which are names in this overlay from Astrometry.net:

Overlay from Astrometry, naming the other objects:

The main ones are NGC 3190, NGC 3185, NGC 3187 and NGC 3193. NGC 3190 has a well defined dust lane. NGC 3187 is a barred spiral galaxy with two arms. NGC 3193 is an elliptical galaxy.
      The light captured by my camera last night left these galaxies just after the extinction event killed the dinosaurs on Earth.
      From APOD: Galaxies, like stars, frequently form groups. A group of galaxies is a system containing more than two galaxies but less than the tens or hundreds typically found in a cluster of galaxies. A most notable example is the Local Group of Galaxies, which houses over 30 galaxies including our Milky Way, Andromeda, and the Magellanic Clouds. Pictured above is nearby compact group Hickson 44. This group is located about 60 million light-years away toward the constellation of Leo. Also known as the NGC 3190 Group, Hickson 44 contains several bright spiral galaxies and one bright elliptical galaxy on the upper right. The bright source on the upper left is a foreground star. Many galaxies in Hickson 44 and other compact groups are either slowly merging or gravitationally pulling each other apart.

Abell 1367
      This image is based on 19 x 300 s , plus flats and bias. It shows a LOT of galaxies, in a grouping called Abell 1367. In this image you are looking at part of one of the biggest structures in the Universe, the Great Wall.

Wikipedia:
      The Leo Cluster (Abell 1367) is a galaxy cluster about 330 million light-years distant (z = 0.022) in the constellation Leo, with at least 70 major galaxies. The galaxy known as NGC 3842 is the brightest member of this cluster. Along with the Coma Cluster, it is one of the two major clusters comprising the Coma Supercluster, which in turn is part of the CfA2 Great Wall, which is hundreds of millions light years long and is one of the largest known structures in the universe.
      The overlay from Astrometry gives some of the galaxies visible in the image.

• By spikkyboy
      Hi all,
      I got a new HEQ5PRO mount last week and as expected have a few issues.
      I have read and re read the manuals.
      So I get that my position on earth will change the angle at which I am viewing Polaris.
      51.5 degrees according to my GPS.
      So I set the dial on the side to 51.5.
      I see the polar scope and remove the end cap from the mount and the black plastic plug from the body, so with the counterweight shaft fully extended I can see all the way through. GREAT!
      I am expecting to look through this polar scope and if it is aligned to polaris and I have adjusted the left and right azimuth bolts so that we rotate around said star all is peachy?
      No.
      My mount is only a week old. It has arrived with an updated reticle and not as in the manual.
      There is an addendum referring to this and the dates have been marked where Polaris will be for years to come.
      When I look through the polar scope it is illuminated bright orange, I am not looking through and seeing Polaris so here I am stumped.
      What exactly am I supposed to be aligning and what was the point of looking right through the shaft if I am not?
      Does anybody have the latest version of this mount that can advise?
      Am I supposed to have the power on? maybe with power off the reticule is not illuminated?
      To be fair the manual is pants and does not explain at all well what is needed.
      Answers on a postcard please.........
    • By Lancebloke
      So, although I had some issues with my auto guiding (which I found out afterwards) I did manage to get 9x180s exposures and 5 darks of Andromeda and give both stacking (using DSS) and processing (using GIMP).
      My first attempted DSO....

I am pretty sure that people could get far more information out of the TIFF file from the stack.
      Hopefully I will get another clear night soon. I am in a heavily light polluted area so I do have a clip in filter on my DSLR which I think took a lot away.
      More practise needed!
      Lance
    • By beka
      Hi All,
      Having had to move to an apartment where I could not use my CPC 1100, I decided that I have to see what I could do with my NexStar SLT 102 (alt-az achromatic 102mm f6.47 refractor). Setting up on my narrow balcony was challenging and the altitude bearing was so loose that it almost moved from the weight of the Canon 700D. I could not see M31 in the estimated 3.5 magnitude sky so I did a two star alignment and used the live-view to focus on a bright star. I then took a 15 second exposure after slewing to M31 which allowed me to see that I had it in the field of view. After a few more 15 second exposures and playing with the motion controls I managed to get it centered. The resulting picture is from 39 subs of 30 seconds at ISO 1600, 9 flats. The images were stacked and stretched with Siril and then I played with the curves on Gimp, cropped and scaled. Not too unhappy.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.