Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Takahashi TOE are coming

Piero

7 hours ago, John said:

The latest feedback on another forum suggests that the new Tak's might a touch better even than the Vixen HR's:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/575959-new-takahashi-eyepieces/?p=8026214

The screen printing on the eyepiece barrels comes in for some flack though .......

Waiting for the BillP review here :happy1:

:D I wonder whether that person was serious when he wrote that comment about the print on the barrel! Funny! :)

BillP review will be interesting.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Piero said:

:D I wonder whether that person was serious when he wrote that comment about the print on the barrel! Funny! :)

BillP review will be interesting.

It's mildly annoying when the printing flakes off I guess :dontknow:

ES seem to do it really nicely, other brands not quite so robustly.

I can sort of see the idea behind these better now. I was testing a 130mm F 6 Lzos for someone here in the village ( there was think there was only mine). This has a F/L of 780mm I think and my shortest eyepice which these days is only the Nagler zoom, weighs in at 3mm which gives me x260, conditions and scope could handle this with ease. I really wanted to push it further but could not.

I was using 300x on tight doubles last night with my ED120 and occasionally more :smiley:

I use the 2-4mm Nagler zoom for "ludicrous speed" power currently but I might like to try one of the new Taks or Vixen HR's at some point :icon_biggrin:

3 hours ago, jetstream said:

I can see you have got the UK seeing figured out Piero!

I was tired last night and fell asleep at 9pm.. then woke up at midnight. The sky was clear and very very steady. Therefore I stayed with the Tak outside until 2am. I didn't care about observing many targets, but just few good ones. Therefore I opted for M13, M57, and finally the Moon. All these targets with the Zeiss zoom, and the Moon with Zeiss zoom +/- VIP, and Vixen HR 2.4mm. M13 was stunning with the outer stars resolved. M57 was very close to Mike's sketch although I could not spot the shades on the ring. I also tried it with the Lumicon OIII and the view was also pretty, but I prefered filterless for this target. Finally the Moon. This was fantastic at all magnifications up to 308x (the highest I tested). Plato was gorgeous showing tiny dots inside without effort. 

Nowadays I just put the eyepiece on and see if it works. If it doesn't, I decrease the magnification. 

2 hours ago, John said:

Do you quite like the Tak then Piero ? :grin:

I love it! :biggrin: 

I am not used to a "so long" tube :D , so a bit of practice is needed. Rather funny actually.. I always underestimate the distance between myself and the focuser! So I end up touching the drawtube! The TV60 is really short in comparison! Lyra was just superb yesterday. The Double-Double was split very easily with the zoom ( ~90x ?). 

I believe the Tak FC-100 is a great sweet spot: enough aperture /resolution for a nice range of targets, enough focal length for pushing the magnification, superb optics for catching details of planetary and bright DSO targets, light weight, rapid cooling time, still a bit wide field (the F7.4 at least, able to offering 3 deg)... what else... aesthetically awesome? :headbang2:

mm.. no really..  Do you think this TOE is more like a rebranding of their LE / HI-LE? 

I still think it's important to hear other comments before drawing any conclusion. Said this, the tester, Ted, has some top-notch glass for comparison. And a TEC140mm too! :dontknow:

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, John said:

Anyone on here tried a Tak TOE yet ?

The initial feedback from the CN forum is very encouraging indeed - very much in the same class as the Vixen HR  Planetaries apparently :icon_biggrin:

That is encouraging!

I won't get one though. The small Nikon+ZAB is just too handy! :) 

12 hours ago, John said:

Anyone on here tried a Tak TOE yet ?

The initial feedback from the CN forum is very encouraging indeed - very much in the same class as the Vixen HR  Planetaries apparently :icon_biggrin:

Yes, Ernest's optical test surely gives more objective result

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/592290-delite-4mm-vs-takahashi-4mm/?p=8113025

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Another comment about the TOE 4mm: 

http://www.takahashiamerica.com/takahashi-toe-4-mm-eyepiece.html  (see review) 

"It is only bested by an oldie the University Optics flat top 4mm orthoscopic."

---------------------

Some other comments: https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/592290-delite-4mm-vs-takahashi-4mm/  

36 minutes ago, Piero said:

"It is only bested by an oldie the University Optics flat top 4mm orthoscopic."

I have one of those in my collection somewhere. Not used a lot to be honest. Sounds like it might save me from TOE temptation though :smiley:

I think I paid a whole tenner for it !

9 minutes ago, John said:

I have one of those in my collection somewhere. Not used a lot to be honest. Sounds like it might save me from TOE temptation though :smiley:

I think I paid a whole tenner for it !

That (the reviewer's) was a rather surprising comment, wasn't it?? 

I guess we need to wait for more comments, but for now, my wallet remain closed.. 

Archived