Narrowband

Skytee 2

Just wondering which dovetail saddles are best for a skytee2 as a replacement. I've ordered the TS optics AZ5 from TS Optics which is identical to the Skytee2, buts comes without dovetail saddles. I'm going to mount my C8 on this with Vixen dovetail bar.

Thank you

TimB

26 minutes ago, TimB said:

Thanks for your help. I have this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0018IOXXI/ref=pe_1909131_77697001_tnp_email_TE_AMZLdp_1 already so i'll try it first them maybe go for the ADM one if the Baader saddle feels iffy at all. Thanks though for the recommendations. 

Tim

The Baader that you have already is the one that I use. I had used this saddle with my 4" Frac and it held it very well - of course I needed weights to balance it.

1 minute ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

The Baader that you have already is the one that I use. I had used this saddle with my 4" Frac and it held it very well - of course I needed weights to balance it.

That's good to know. Maybe it'll hold my C8 ok then at about 7kgs with bits a bobs attached, but i'll test it well first. Will definitely need a counterweight though. Bit of a balancing act.

One of the things I like about the ADM clamp that I use is that it uses M8 bolts to connect to the Skytee head rather than the smaller M6's. My big refractor needs all the support it can get !

tmb130bbst03.JPG

I see your point John. Bigger screws can be turned tighter for more confidence. I'll see how it all fits together when it arrives. Do you know the weight of your OTA and counterweights?  

31 minutes ago, TimB said:

I see your point John. Bigger screws can be turned tighter for more confidence. I'll see how it all fits together when it arrives. Do you know the weight of your OTA and counterweights?  

The OTA weighs just over 9kg but it's the tube length that creates most of the stress on the mount / tripod. Your C8 is a lot shorter even with a dew shield so the forces on the mount head should be less.

I use 5kg of counterweights on the other side of the mount. I've tried more but there are no benefits that I notice.

I may think about a Losmandy clamp / dovetail bar in due course but my other refractors are lighter and shorter so the Vixen / Synta arrangement is fine for them.

Just realized that the Baader saddle takes the M8 screws too spaced at 35mm so hopefully this will match the holes on the TSAZ5 (Skytee 2) when it arrives. Pretty sure I've still got the required countersunk M8s stashed safely. Can't find the exact spec for the Skytee 2 /TSAZ5 anywhere. Never seen any really bad reviews, just niggles that's why i've gone for it. Fingers crossed. 

Thanks everyone :happy11:

6 minutes ago, TimB said:

Just realized that the Baader saddle takes the M8 screws too spaced at 35mm so hopefully this will match the holes on the TSAZ5 (Skytee 2) when it arrives. Pretty sure I've still got the required countersunk M8s stashed safely. Can't find the exact spec for the Skytee 2 /TSAZ5 anywhere. Never seen any really bad reviews, just niggles that's why i've gone for it. Fingers crossed. 

Thanks everyone :happy11:

The saddle should be fine. 35mm is the spacing of both the M6 and M8 holes on the Skytee II head as I recall (they are arranged in a cross formation). Baader stuff is really good :icon_biggrin:

Hi. I've just setup my Skytee 2 (TSAZ5). It all fitted well to my SGXHAL130 and seems very stable with the adapter. Just one question though. Are the slo-mo's supposed to work all the time or just when the tension levers are tightened as i've found to be the case? I'm guessing that you get to where you want using the finder then tighten the tension levers and use your slo-mo's. If you get by without slo-mo's then nothing to tighten. Will have to get some practice on holiday in the Swiss mountains soon :happy11:

Cheers

TimB

The levers are like a clutch - when loosened the mount axis will rotate freely and when tightened the slow motion controls take effect.

Some practice will enable you to find what works best for you and your scope(s). There is no right or wrong way really :smiley:

20 hours ago, John said:

The levers are like a clutch - when loosened the mount axis will rotate freely and when tightened the slow motion controls take effect.

Some practice will enable you to find what works best for you and your scope(s). There is no right or wrong way really :smiley:

So it's not a slip clutch with variable tension.  Good to know.

Hi. Yet another Skytee 2 (TSAZ5) question. 

How perfectly do i need to balance my C8? Does it need to be perfect or just to keep the setup stable. I appreciate that the better balanced it is then the movement gets smoother. My C8 plus bits and pieces might be about 6 to 7 kgs. I've tried upto 4.5ks counterweight, but can't see much improvement beyond a 2kg weight. Will I just wear out the bearings without balancing it better?

Of course I wouldn't need to ask all these questions if the manufacturers bothered to put some instructions in the box!

The Skytee II has quite a lot of "sticktion" and tends to stay put even when the clutches are off and the scope is a bit unbalanced fore and aft. With my ED120 (7.5 kg) I find that I don't need a counterweight at all. With my 130mm F/9.2 triplet refractor (9.5kg) I use a single 5kg counter weight.

The mount can seem quite stiff in action if you are used to something like a Giro but it works well with a scope on board.

Thanks once again John. Maybe I'll know better how little counterweight i can get away with once i get a clear night finally that's not a "school night" . Still, it's nice to have something left to tinker with. Achieving perfection can seem dull once you think you've found it :happy11:

Archived