SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Astrozap Baader Solar Filter ... Best with 130P Newt` or 90mm `Frac

I made one and put it on my 8" Dob - it wasn't difficult and much cheaper.  If you want to look at the sun take a trip over to the solar observing forum area and find out what you need to do so safely.

Here's a thread on home-made ones:

Choose whichever you think will be easiest/most comfortable. The views will be similar.

Although aperture will always play a part (regarding resolution), greater light gathering properties are fairly unnecessary when looking at the Sun. ?

And, with the vagaries of UK weather, you're best to have something you can just grab and sneak a peek between clouds.

It does also help if there's a spot or two on the surface to look at ... and the monster that was AR2665 looks as if it's coming back round. If that spot has remained anything near as impressive as it was before it 'turned the corner' you're in for a treat when you get first light with the filter. Enjoy. ☀️☀️?

p.s. I have three of these filters and have used them with a 150 Dob and 76 and 102 fracs. They perform well enough; like all astronomy kit there is always something better ahead...??

Archived