Narrowband

During both of my last couple of sessions, I've seen the sky light up with meteors. Last night, while looking for Neptune, I saw by the far the brightest meteor I've ever seen. Really bright flash of fire as a long steak across the sky. I honestly thought it was a firework to start with. Little bit of research this morning suggests this was part of the Delta Aquariids meteor shower. Apparently the Alpha Capricornids are also showing at the moment. Something else to look out for while you're under the stars :biggrin:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Used to have a link (maybe)to a great list of meteor showers, just far too many were in it and some were a bit questionable as a "shower", the number per hour was on the low side, less then 1 ph in a few cases.

This seems more useful as it classifies them by expected number per hour:

http://www.amsmeteors.org/meteor-showers/2017-meteor-shower-list/

The other one was more fun as there were paes of what they determined to be "showers" actually so many that I think more showers then days in a year.

Recall one year I went out for the Perseids, it was the peak night of the shower, clear night, waited until 12:30 to head off as all the street lights went off at 12:00 so it was dark, walked off to a nice out of the way place and there was Perseus and Cassiopeia and a host of assorted stars. Not a single flaming Perseid in just under 2 hours.

At least I had a good warm down jacket to keep warm.

I basically gave up after that since usually every decent meteor shower has been clouded out.

I remember getting out the lounger and sleeping bag  for the Perseids. My wife shook her head and headed upstairs. 

My son, being a teenager, comes into the darkened house in the wee small hours to find his dad fast asleep in the garden and thinks I've been thrown out of the house. 

My explanation only elicited a shake of his head as he headed upstairs. 

John

I think my most spectacular Perseid night was way back in 1997, I'd gone down to the Avebury area for skywatches (hundreds of peeps at some locations); at times the large and bright meteors/trails resembled the Martian invasion of George Pal's War of the Worlds movie.

2 minutes ago, Dave In Vermont said:

With the hype about the Perseids' about to be a huge, record-breaking storm - NASA has weighed-in to set the record straight:

The Greatest Meteor Show of All Time.pdf

That was linked on the Minor Planet Center's website.

Sorry if it let's you down -

Dave

Interesting read, Dave. I'd love to see a meteor STORM! I was shocked to read that I can't believe everything I read on the internet though ;) 

I saw the Leonid's in 2002. "Storm" is right! The entire sky was shooting meteors in all directions - many very large with smoke and little flames - the smoke leaving lasting contrails in the sky.

It lasted well into the early morning hours. I just stood there in awe.

May you have your chance!

Dave

Just saw one. Must be the brightest one I saw. Going to the relatives birthday in a small village (I think total population during winter months is 4), I know I'll be staying up till late. Would bring a telescope with me if it wasn't rude. Should I bring my old one as a gift and then give a kind lesson how to use it? Now that's an idea worth considering :D

1 hour ago, Erla said:

Just saw one. Must be the brightest one I saw. Going to the relatives birthday in a small village (I think total population during winter months is 4), I know I'll be staying up till late. Would bring a telescope with me if it wasn't rude. Should I bring my old one as a gift and then give a kind lesson how to use it? Now that's an idea worth considering :D

People love looking through a scope. It's only rude when you're the only one left outside because everyone else has gone home :grin:

The night of that 2002 Meteor-Storm, my neighbor's asked about seeing the meteors through one of my telescopes. I explained, without taking my eyes off the sky-show above, how the proper tool for these meteors was their eyes, while exhorting them to just look up!

Instead of following my advice, they got into an argument with their friend's about where to drive off to for the best view. I muttered a few 'idiots!' under my breath and went back to concentrating on the sky.

Where are the Triffids when you need them?

Dave

7 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

The night of that 2002 Meteor-Storm, my neighbor's asked about seeing the meteors through one of my telescopes. I explained, without taking my eyes off the sky-show above, how the proper tool for these meteors was their eyes, while exhorting them to just look up!

Just being outside too. I've spent a lot more time out under the stars this summer versus last summer just through owning a telescope. As a consequence I've seen a lot more meteors. I'm sure I've misssd even more at the eyepiece or some that were simply pulling faces behind my back :happy7:

Clear skies in Cardiff last night. I saw two Perseid meteors in about 3 hours out in my back garden. The forecast for Saturday is clear for a few hours after dusk and if this doesn't change then I'll be going to the Brecon Beacons to get a better view. I think that I read that Friday night/Saturday morning would be the better time but it looks like it's going to be cloudy here then.

Archived