Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/11/2017 at 07:30, David Levi said:

Clear skies in Cardiff last night. I saw two Perseid meteors in about 3 hours out in my back garden. The forecast for Saturday is clear for a few hours after dusk and if this doesn't change then I'll be going to the Brecon Beacons to get a better view. I think that I read that Friday night/Saturday morning would be the better time but it looks like it's going to be cloudy here then.

Yup, off up the hills too with a family member who has always wanted to see the Perseids as a birthday pressie. Sneaking the 10X50s out too... :D 

Wonderful night here. Milky way nice and clear through Cygnus and Cassiopeia and M31 and the double cluster naked eye visible :icon_biggrin:

I've seen a handfull of Persieds so far as well as some nice DSO's with the scope. Need more nights like this !!!

Just spent 5 mins  outside, facing North, head tilted back till no more - perfectly aligned to Polaris (the only Star visible just now) and notice that cloud layer is shallow at present, was hoping to see some light above the clouds from any brighter meteors, but won't hold my breath, in-fact a large dark mass is approaching from the West, more rain or clear skies, here's hoping. Its 7 oktas now!

I've never been a huge Perseid fan. Always been underwhelmed by them. 

Anyway,  I noticed that it was very clear between the passing cumulus sky invaders just before midnigbt so spent a while gazing. 

I bagged 5 meteors in about 15 mins but only 3 were Perseid's. The other 2 were both slow and bright. One was almost an anti-Perseid, starting in the square of Pegasus and running the length of and just above Andromeda. The other non Perseid had a broadly similar direction but started near Altair and ended in Cygnus. It was very slow with a broad persistent trail with a definite reddish tinge. A very peculiar meteor that I'm now thinking might have been some polar orbiting space junk re-entering. 

Was out before for about an hour and a half in the Lancashire countryside. Bagged around 35+ which is better than what I saw last year. I think tonight my group (3 of us) saw some from the alpha-capricornids. I observed a slow moving meteor which disintegrated into small orange speckles moving from east to west near Aquila and my brother earlier observed a nice bright leaving a train of smoke going from west to east through the lower half of pegasus. In the international meteor organisations annual pdf on the years showers is does state that capricornids are usually slow and although the ZHR is low they are can often be bright fireballs.

"The other non Perseid had a broadly similar direction but started near Altair and ended in Cygnus. It was very slow with a broad persistent trail with a definite reddish tinge. A very peculiar meteor that I'm now thinking might have been some polar orbiting space junk re-entering. "

I think we observed the same one I think as that description does closely matches what I observed. I have seen many break up like over the years, it's nothing unusual at all and in fact it was the second one we observed to break up into bits.

6 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

at least there's no dew.

Its very mild tonight! and yes the moon has just come out from behind the clouds. 
I may have glimpsed one quick meteor, but saw a bright satellite heading North, I try for a little longer then a coffee before retiring for the night.

Well what an absolute stroke of luck. Just popped my head out for last look before bed and I spot another capricornid meteor. Again it was rather slow and broke up into small orange fragments, simply beautiful. It past from east to west through Aries and then just north of M45. What a fantastic night I have had this year and also next year I will be heading out to catch the capricornids at their ZHR.

Clear from midnight here, I saw 6 metoeors in 3 hours all of which were very bright and heading toward the moon from north to east ?

I was also observing and didn't fully concentrate on counting meteors. Very clear night and got some lovely views of the Moon, many doubles and coloured stars, Almach and the Garnet looked very vibrant ?

Archived