Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

MikeODay

Help please: Synscan / EQ8 problem ( feature ?) - declination reported by Synscan keeps changing

I am trying to understand why the declination position reported by my new EQ8 - Synscan 4 hand controller keeps changing.

After starting my aligned scope from Park the declination reported by the hand set ( Utilities/Show Position/  "Dec/Ra" ) slowly increases ( around 7" / minute when I first measured it ).  However, the  rotation angle of the declination/altitude axis of the mount ( Utilities/Show Position/ "Ax1/Ax2" ) is reported as being constant ( as one would expect if the mount is not receiving an instruction to move ).  That is, it would appear that the motor is not running and the encoders on the shaft are not detecting any rotation of the mount's altitude axis however the Sysnscan reports that the Celestial declination is slowly changing.

Does anyone know if this is a bug or a feature?

It did occur to me that maybe the Synscan is trying to compensate for the declination drift that would result from the Polar Alignment error as stored in the controller after alignment.  To test this, I adjusted the Polar Alignment to try to reduce the error and see if it changed the drift rate.  The initial results do not support this - after much tweaking of the alignment, and with an indicated polar alignment error of less than 15" in either axis, the rate of drift changed but was still around 5" / minute ( whereas it should be << 1 with so small a Polar Alignment error ).  

Has anyone else noticed this slow change in declination reported by the mount/Synscan when the mount is tracking in RA?

-----

EQ8 MC Firmware version: 2.11.04

Synscan HW version: 4.16

Synscan firmware version: 4.39.04

Couple of simple things to check first :-

i) is DEC axis clamp fully tight?

ii) is scope balanced?

3 hours ago, ngwillym said:

Couple of simple things to check first :-

ii) is scope balanced?

Thank you for your reply.

Yes the Dec axis clamp is tight and the scope reasonably balanced.

I don't think that the declination axis of the mount is actually changing - in particular, the Sysnscan reports that the altitude/declination axis is not changing.  What is changing is the reported celestial declination.  That is, I think the Synscan unit is calculating the celestial coordinates of the point in space it is pointing at based on the readings from the encoders and the polar alignment and it is this calculated figure that keeps changing even though the scope is not actually rotating in the declination axis.  

I double checked last night.  If I turn of tracking on the Synscan, the reported celestial declination remains constant.

cheers

Mike

Edited by mike005

10 hours ago, ngwillym said:

I'll double check that the DEC clutch is not slipping.  My thought is that I will be able to do this by confirming whether or not the Synscan continues to report a change in declination while the mount is locked onto a star via PHD2 ( ie. tracking in RA and DEC ).

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By PlanetGazer
      I was hesitant to write this earlier, but I wanted to try all possible ways to get my new SkyWatcher 250P GOTO allgined, but to no avail.
      I have followed the instruction manuals of both the synscan and SW, and managed to get the message "alignment successful" multiple times on the handset or the app. The closest I got when I tried to dial a different star was a 20 to 25 degrees off on the azimth axis. Most times it's off by a margin on both axes.
      I have tried aligning around 30 times on more than 5 diffrenet occasions, different locations as well. I end up ignoring the thing and switch to navigating manually as the eager friends want to observe instantly, but we ran out of objectes and the planets are not close anymore, so I figured it's time to get deeper DSO's and sort out the GOTO.
      Here is what I do:
      • I level the scope to the zero reading on top of the base
      • I make sure the base is level with a spirit level I bought recently
      • I point the scope northish, but latley I bought compass to pinpoint north
      • I plug all equipments in and then switch on the power from a lead acid battery
      • I enter the date ( US fromat, month before day 😕 )
      • enter correct time zone obviously
      • the coordinates in the format of E 000 00 , N 00 00 
      • As for  elevation I use "my  elevation" app, not sure if it's accurate. Does this entry have to be that accurate?
      • I tried both brightest star and the 2 star align methods on the handset (which seems to be the same thing apart from the brightest method having an extra menu asking for which direction you are pointing at)
      I even used the synscan app and the synscan pro, and tried the 3 star align method. The app uses location and enters all data automatically
      •I use the top and right arrows as the last press before centring the star in the eyepiece as  recommended by the manual

These are the steps I follow when I align , is there anythung I missed? Your kind help is much appreciated.

Update: issue solved, check the reply in the second page

• By Oslet
      Sooo...I'm getting quote frustrated here. This spring I tested my HEQ5 with guiding. The synscan controller was connected to the computer trough the USB plug on the hand controller. This worked like a charm in my living room. On the new controllers you dont need the rs cable. But when I tried the whole thing with guide cameara for some live shooting, it just did not work. I get something wrong with the com port in decice manager, driver not working. I have tried 3 different drivers. The whole thing responded, connected and was guiding when i did a dummy test before the summer. So setup is pc-synscan via usb for pulse guiding. Can it be a problem with windows 10? What t h.... just happened? Where can I find a driver that works? And believe me it worked 5 months ago, argh. Thanks for any respons and support
    • By CrystalFox
      Hello guys,
      I recently got into astronomy so I bought my first telescope. I've read through several articles and the recommendation for a beginner's telescope (value/price) was Celestron Astromaster 130EQ-MD. I bought this from someone who was not really using it and it is in a very good condition. Prior to actually purchasing this, I've watched countless videos on how the telescope works, what needs to be done - latitude, RA/DEC alignment, polar alignment, etc..
      After reading through all available manuals and videos, I finally brought it home from the seller (they've had it for around 5 years but it wasn't used much). After setting up the tripod, mounting the telescope and familiarising myself with all the different knobs, I pointed the mount/telescope towards north. The first thing I had to do was setting up the latitude. Since I am based in London, the latitude is around 52 degrees. Afterwards, I had to align the declination axis so the telescope can be balanced. As I understand it, you should be able to move it to any position on the axis and it should stay in that position. If the front or rear was heavier, I would either pushing or pulling the telescope after unlocking the brackets holding it together. This is where the issues began, I could balance the telescope so it doesn't move while in the horizontal position, however, when pointing it towards north, it would exclusively lean towards one direction - to the left. If the telescope was pointing to north, north-east or east, it would pull towards the west all the time. It is probably easier to show it in the video. I've spent three days trying to balance the telescope by using different methods and it just would not work. 
      I've also tried balancing the RA axis first. This could be somehow done, but the declination axis would still pull the telescope to the left.
      It is extremely frustrating as I don't know what could be causing this. Balancing the telescope should be relatively easy from what I have heard - either push it or pull it depending on where the weight is. However, I have been really struggling to get it set-up.
      I would be thankful for any suggestions and please feel free to ask any questions so I can help with finding out what is wrong.

Thank you.
      VID_20190918_202940.mp4

• By Phillips6549
      With several clear nights over the past week,  I've been playing with the Synscan Pro app (Android) in conjunction with a Synscan WiFi adapter on an EQ3Pro mount.  I have to say I'm generally quite impressed.  Much cheaper than buying a traditional handset.  
      However,  this evening I was trying to "creep up" on the Andromeda Galaxy by star hopping towards it via Mirach,  Mu Andromedae and Nu Andromedae.  Mirach was no problem but the other stars were not available for selection in the app.  Am I missing something?  I couldn't find any way to enter an SAO number or any other catalogue number to find the minor stars.  
      Is this a limitation of the app?  Or the adapter perhaps?  Or is it me? 
      Clear skies, 
      Mark. 
    • By gutaker
      Hi guys, it's my first post here, so Hello!
      My synscan goto upgrade started to act like in this video of mine SynScan GOTO Skipping after being disassembled for few weeks in the closet. There were no such problems before.
      When it slews at rates above x3 everything is fine and smooth but as soon as it starts tracking at x3, it skips steps or something like that.
      My setup is eq3-2 on alu and SW 150/750 with Canon 700D attached.
      Thanks in advance for any clues or ideas!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.