Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_nb_dso.jpg.eb6cd158659331fd13e71470af6da381.jpg

arkosg

StarLight Live and SX Trius 694 - help!

arkosg    66

Hello all,

I'm hoping Paul or someone who has used Starlight Live with a Trius camera sees this and can point me in the right direction!

I've borrowed a Trius XS694 (mono) to try out.  I have it plugged in to the AC adapter, and am using the USB cord that comes with the camera to connect it to my Macbook Pro's USB port.

When I attach the SX Trius 694 it shows up in Starlight Live 3.3 (checkmark symbol) as Starlight Xpress SX694 (F/W 25.1).  I can set TEC, mono, binning, etc.

However, as soon as I try to do anything (eg. start to take darks), it pauses, then loses the camera connection.  I have to physically unplug and replug the camera to get it to show up again.

My understanding was that SL supported the SX cams... do I need to do something else (command line?) before connecting the cam? Or...?

On a related note: I'd also appreciate the proper command line syntax to view FITS files generated by the cam (assuming I eventually get that working!) 

Thanks so much in advance!

- Greg A

Jim Smith    125

I had a similar sounding problem with my SX Ultrastar on my Macbook with SLL 3.3. I discovered that I had ticked the box to save fits files for every exposure, but I had specified a save folder that didn't exist.

arkosg    66

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I took a look, and I hadn't checked that box.  But I did make sure I had a "real" folder in the save files section.

It still disconnects after trying to start an exposure.  :-(

Should it just "work"  (plug and play) or do I need to do something from the command line (I recall you mentioned having to use a different pid for your Ultrastar...?)

Cheers,

- Greg

PS. The camera is recognized and "works" with the SX IO 1.0.8 software, so it's probably not a hardware issue, I think....

arkosg    66

UPDATE: 

After some further fiddling (this is indoors, daytime, using dark frame acquisition/image acquisition), I found that the camera DOES work - but only when binned 2x2 or higher.  Every time I set the binning to 1x1, the camera connection is lost once I initiate an exposure.  This appears to be reproducible.  MacBook Pro running El Capitan, SLL 3.3.

Help Paul! :-)

- Greg

Jim Smith    125

Greg, On my Mac, I have only used command line parameters when I have had two cameras connected at once with two instances of SLL running at the same time. With only one camera connected and only one instance of SLL running, it has, as far as I recall, all just simply worked without any command line parameters. 

I'll let you know if I think of anything else.

arkosg    66

Hi all,

So I'm still in need of assistance with the Trius & StarlightLive combination - hopefully Paul sees this at some point and can offer suggestions or a fix.

The Trius 694 works well, binned 2x2, but still fails at 1x1.  It also has problems in the Focus Tab if exposures are set at 1s or under - just hangs and or disconnects the camera in this case.  I've been using 1.5 s to focus the camera as a result.  At any rate, if these few issues could get cleared up, I think the camera is quite viable for EAA use.  Even in my suburban skies, the results are more than acceptable, and at 2x2, exposure times do not seem excessive.  I've added a few images below taken last night, most with an Halpha filter to combat the waxing moon/urban skies (forgive compression issues - the images on screen/full size are nicer)!

Paul, if you're out there... help! :-)

- Greg

Eastern.Veil.Neb.Halpha_2017.9.3_01.52.20.jpg

M31_2017.9.3_00.34.54.jpg

Pelican.Neb.Halpha_2017.9.3_02.17.43.jpg

North.American.Neb.Halpha_2017.9.3_02.29.50.jpg

Elephant.Trunk.Neb.Halpha_2017.9.3_02.46.18.jpg

Bubble.Neb.Halpha_2017.9.3_02.56.14.jpg

PacMan.Neb.Halpha_2017.9.3_03.07.35.jpg

Soul.Fetus.Neb.Halpha_2017.9.3_03.34.58.jpg

California.Neb.Halpha_2017.9.3_03.41.05.jpg

IC.443.Jellyfish.Neb.Halpha_2017.9.3_03.55.47.jpg

Cone.Neb.Halpha_2017.9.3_04.04.37.jpg

Ain Soph Aur    207

Greg--

Nice captures. Since Paul has been awol lately, you my want to post on the SX mailing list where Terry and others can help troubleshoot.

arkosg    66

Thanks guys.  

I've noticed Paul hasn't been around much lately, so I will look into the SX mailing list and see if anyone else can lend a hand.

How does one post on the SX mailing list?

Cheers,

- Greg A

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Paul81
      Hi All,
      Starlight Light V3.1 is now available to download:
      OSX version
      Windows version
      From the change log:
      - Added 3x3 binning for progressive cameras only. 3x3 binning is not available for interlaced cameras.
      - Added display for camera firmware version to the camera properties display.
      - Modified Lanczos resampling algorithm to dampen sampling artefacts around bright objects (black halo around stars).
      - Fixed Bug: Camera stability issues under OSX - updates to the libUSB library have improved stability for OSX 10.11 'El Capitan'. The application will now not crash if the camera unexpectedly disconnects.
      - Fixed Bug: Date and time was not being stored in the FITS file when exporting to FITS.
      - Fixed Bug: Detection of non-writable directories on Windows platforms.
      - Fixed Bug: Signalling of critical or fatal application errors from non-UI threads causes a crash.
      As always have fun and clear skies!
      Paul
    • By DoctorD
      Hi
      I've published a video of my viewing session as broadcast on Video Astronomy Live on the 17th March 2016 speeded up by x16 so you get a whole evening in 12 minutes!
      This shows what can be achieved despite living in a Red Zone (Bortle 6-7) with local light pollution too. 
      Equipment:
      C8 on HEQ5 with F3.3 reducer
      Lodestar-C
      Starlight Live
      EQMAC
      Sky Safari Plus V1.8

Enjoy

Paul
    • By DoctorD
      Hi
      I hope Paul81 does not mind me staring this thread - I've been using Starlight/lodestar Live since it's first release and continue to be amazed at the levels of functionality that Paul manages to include in each new release.
      I though it might be useful to have a single thread where we can discuss everything from minor improvements to major pieces of functionality.
      Paul has already previewed his hot pixel removal and I for one am looking forward to this (given the number of hot pixels my Lodestar-C has!).
      Some minor UI improvements as a starter:.
      1. Include the Stacked/RAW and Linear/arcsinh/X^0.25 info on the saved PNG (perhaps these could all be optional via a Image Export screen) - I often forget which mode I've used when I come to post the images.
      2. Include a Processed Image Save button available at all times - no need to confirm the file name/location, just press and it's saved to your preferred location as the file naming convention works fine. 
      3. Remember last settings for "Image Acquisition" and "Focus and Alignment" modes (Exposure and image processing) - I usually use the focus and alignment mode to centre the object at 5 or 10s exposure (or sometimes much less depending upon the brightness of the surrounding stars) before moving to Image Acquisition at my chosen exposure for the evening (matched to my Dark Frame). This allows me to leave the Export RAW FITS setting as no files are saved in the Focus and Alignment mode.
      More involved functionality:
      1. Add the possibility for user defined transfer functions to augment the arcsin and x^0.25 - this might be achieved by a CSV lookup table - 64K integers should be manageable but I'm no software engineer!
      On the topic of transfer functions, I find the way the current arcsinh and x^0.25 work to be somewhat confusing and this might be down to how the other image controls are applied - you always seem to end up with the histogram pushed to the right. Perhaps if there was a separate level shift available which effectively moved the zero point before applying the transfer function we could keep the histogram in the middle or better still towards the left and then adjust Black/White levels and contrast after the transfer function has been applied. I get the impression that currently the brightness is applied after the transfer function but I could be wrong.
      Once gain a big thank you to Paul81 for all the effort he puts into this magnificent piece of software.
      Clear skies

Paul

• By DoctorD
      Hi
      Not posted for a while, but have managed to get out a few times this year with the C8 on the HEQ5 - I've been fiddling with the reducer spacing and think I've found a better distance - still not optimal and will have to experiment some more. (Working at F3.5 to F3.4 with the C8).
      Here's my selected catch with my Lodestar-C, mostly 30s exposures however M42 was 15s, some stacked using median others using mean stacking with info on the picture.
      Severe gradient in some images from general Bradford Sky Glow to the east of my location.

During the cloudy nights, I've been playing with Astrometry.net and now have a working system which can  calculate the actual centre of the image and sync the scope to these coordinates - off line with no internet connection. I can set up using EQMAC with a single star alignment (usually adjusting mount by loosening the RA and DEC clutches to get the target star in the centre of my finder) the I can retire to the warmth of my study and complete the alignment indoors.
      Using marks on my drive I can set up and be back in the warmth within 15 minutes, sometimes quicker - this is my idea of comfortable astronomy!
      CS

Paul

• By DoctorD
      C8 F3.3 Lodestar using Starlight Live (15s stack - see image for details)