Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

4 hours ago, happy-kat said:

Dropbox reports the folder is empty and having downloaded the zip file it is empty, 1kb in size.

try that link now, for some reason they must not have finished uploading 

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I managed to get DSS to stack. After registering the 7 images that were the same view I then used the stars tool to select all the false lights on the horizon and remove them. This stopped them effecting the stack. That bit worked fine.

I have tried to process the resulting autosaved fits file in StarTools but my post processing skills in PSP have not got the foreground back onto the image yet. I probably would use a faster shutter speed the stars are trailing even allowing for the lens corner distortion perhaps something like 20 seconds instead of 25 might be worth a go but this is personal preference. I lost the odd meteor as well. oh and I haven't done any noise reduction which would help the starscape, I forgot to do it and not quite sure where to put the colours but I got the stack to work files _G6A4203.CR2 onwards in the stack.

Heavily resized to be a small upload.

Autosave v1.2.png

That's it no more I have not stitched a picture together before like this and the colour tones are difficult to match. Each half stacked in DSS the bottom half was a crop of the full image to just get the bottom but then I had only a few stars to remove before stacking. Full image stacked and then processed in StarTools, it's the image I did yesterday with the new bottom bit added.

5982472b8f11d_Autosavev1.3.thumb.png.fd5c5f07222962cc93b6c35535901f3a.png

4 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

@Daniel-K did you see my final attempt with your files? On my adjusted monitor it looks better than on my tablet. Hope it is useful.

sorry Kat been busy and didnt get a notification for this. it looks like its doe a good job reducing the noise in the sky. can i ask if you could screen shot your DSS settings because when i tried to stack the cropped sky it just went all funny. i can live with a noisey foreground so im not too fussed on that at the moment i just want to be able to stack the milkyway 

@Daniel-K used just 7 files they were the only ones that were the same actual view. _G6A4203.CR2 through to _G6A4209.CR2

I registered then in DSS on default settings.

Next I selected the first file (like you would if you had done comet images) this brings up a little side menu, I selected Edit Star Mode (the red arrow) and then starting at one end of the red rectangle select each star there is a orange box cursor that will show 'remove star' (you can also add star that shows a yellow box if needed) for the recognised bright sources such as that row of lights. You can zoom in and out using a mouse wheel but you cannot drag to pan the image around. When you have selected every none star select Save (the green arrow). Move on to the next light frame and repeat. Tedious but it works, unfortunately these points are not saved properly so it is a one complete session fiddle and save per light file and then restack.

59837248d554c_editstarmode.thumb.png.c70032fb20bb3d123c87b7fe2334b3fd.png

Restack settings I used.

stacking.png.c5eb211df5a62149438df0f74ed5cc16.png

That stack produced the entire image, I processed it in StarTools using the autosaved fits file to bring out the milk way. I didn't use any gradient wipes as there had been no light frames in the stack but I don't think the gradient is bad looks quite natural rather then vignetting. I also didn't do any noise reduction I forgot to but I did crop the edge slightly and bin 25% with a manual develop and contrast fiddle and I thought about a little CA filtering removal but decided not to as wasn't sure if it was my processing that gave the blue tint stars or not.

Autosave v1.2.png

Stars aren't too bad the left hand corner was the worst but nothing like the stack at the beginning of this thread, there is some star trailing, but the foreground is a blur as expected so had a go at creating a new stacked image for the foreground.  So I opened each frame and cropped along the lighthouse and saved as tiff in paintshop pro.

59837fe57794b__G6A4209-1cp.thumb.png.1f2a8d0f1ba9842de1f73f781db1f846.png

I saved the prior list in DSS and then cleared it to add these new cropped files and this time used the remove stars (remember to save before picking the next frame) to remove the stars that had been found in the sky. Stacked using the same settings as before but once there was an image generated saved as tff (paintshop pro does not open autosaved fits or tiff).

Opening the newly saved tiff in paintshop pro I removed all the sky for a transparent background, adjusted the size so that it fit and overlayed the new foreground onto my processed image from StarTools. That got us this.

Autosave v1.3.png

Just sharing how I did this, not saying it is the right way to do it but it got me a result of better milkyway from being stacked and none a smeared foreground. I enjoyed having a go with your images thank you for sharing.

10 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

@Daniel-K used just 7 files they were the only ones that were the same actual view. _G6A4203.CR2 through to _G6A4209.CR2

I registered then in DSS on default settings.

Next I selected the first file (like you would if you had done comet images) this brings up a little side menu, I selected Edit Star Mode (the red arrow) and then starting at one end of the red rectangle select each star there is a orange box cursor that will show 'remove star' (you can also add star that shows a yellow box if needed) for the recognised bright sources such as that row of lights. You can zoom in and out using a mouse wheel but you cannot drag to pan the image around. When you have selected every none star select Save (the green arrow). Move on to the next light frame and repeat. Tedious but it works, unfortunately these points are not saved properly so it is a one complete session fiddle and save per light file and then restack.

59837248d554c_editstarmode.thumb.png.c70032fb20bb3d123c87b7fe2334b3fd.png

Restack settings I used.

stacking.png.c5eb211df5a62149438df0f74ed5cc16.png

That stack produced the entire image, I processed it in StarTools using the autosaved fits file to bring out the milk way. I didn't use any gradient wipes as there had been no light frames in the stack but I don't think the gradient is bad looks quite natural rather then vignetting. I also didn't do any noise reduction I forgot to but I did crop the edge slightly and bin 25% with a manual develop and contrast fiddle and I thought about a little CA filtering removal but decided not to as wasn't sure if it was my processing that gave the blue tint stars or not.

Autosave v1.2.png

Stars aren't too bad the left hand corner was the worst but nothing like the stack at the beginning of this thread, there is some star trailing, but the foreground is a blur as expected so had a go at creating a new stacked image for the foreground.  So I opened each frame and cropped along the lighthouse and saved as tiff in paintshop pro.

59837fe57794b__G6A4209-1cp.thumb.png.1f2a8d0f1ba9842de1f73f781db1f846.png

I saved the prior list in DSS and then cleared it to add these new cropped files and this time used the remove stars (remember to save before picking the next frame) to remove the stars that had been found in the sky. Stacked using the same settings as before but once there was an image generated saved as tff (paintshop pro does not open autosaved fits or tiff).

Opening the newly saved tiff in paintshop pro I removed all the sky for a transparent background, adjusted the size so that it fit and overlayed the new foreground onto my processed image from StarTools. That got us this.

Autosave v1.3.png

Just sharing how I did this, not saying it is the right way to do it but it got me a result of better milkyway from being stacked and none a smeared foreground. I enjoyed having a go with your images thank you for sharing.

thank you, i think the stack milky way had turned out rather good. give's me guidance now just need to apply it in the field.

• 3 months later...

Today from another post there's something that might have been able to have done this, software is free and called sequator, looks like it would have done this image.

I'm going to see if I already have visual basic on my W10 PC and if I do I'll install as many of my images include a hedge.

Archived