Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

its been a long time since ive used DSS so i need a little nudge. im trying to stack some subs i have of the MW from my trip out the other night but it seems to only be aligning in the center.

Capture.PNG

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Danny

I don't use DSS but when I stack my widefield MW shots I crop out the sky section of each sub (just above the horizon) then recombine the stacked and processed sky and foreground in PS or similar. Not sure if that helps - I just thought that the foreground could somehow interfere with the star alignment process.

2 minutes ago, RichLD said:

Hi Danny

I don't use DSS but when I stack my widefield MW shots I crop out the sky section of each sub (just above the horizon) then recombine the stacked and processed sky and foreground in PS or similar. Not sure if that helps - I just thought that the foreground could somehow interfere with the star alignment process.

you do that for every sub Rich? must take ages?  there must be a way to mask in it DSS surely?

2 minutes ago, RichLD said:

Yes, I use DynamicCrop in PI to crop the subs - the last MW pic I did only had 10 subs for the sky, so it didn't take that long. 

AH i cant afford PI atm. that last shot you did was stunning. 

Thank you Danny, your kind words are very much appreciated! You should be able to get the crop similar in size enough without PI, although it might be worth giving the trial a go.

Lovely pics mate, the location looks amazing!

I've not found it necessary to bother with cropping out any foreground. I think as mentioned above the lights are being used. You can tell DSS the stars you want it to align on you pick them using the same tool menu that the comet icon is on from memory.

You see the mini menu on the right when you pick the first light frame (any light frame reveals it) mark the star(s) and save.

13 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

I've not found it necessary to bother with cropping out any foreground. I think as mentioned above the lights are being used. You can tell DSS the stars you want it to align on you pick them using the same tool menu that the comet icon is on from memory.

You see the mini menu on the right when you pick the first light frame (any light frame reveals it) mark the star(s) and save.

i will try that, ive just tried cropping the foreground and it looks the same, the detail looks promising though 

Capture.PNG

Looks to me like the zoom slipped a bit.

Try stacking the first half of the session and the last half.

If one half is still double, either use trial and error (a 'binatry chop' would work fastest) or inspect the subs to see if you canh spot where the change occured.

It's potentially an excellent image so well worth the effort to salvage it.

4 hours ago, wxsatuser said:

May be DSS cannot deal with any lens distortions.

I hadn't considered lens distortion, though with the stars distorting even without any foreground might suggest some barrel distortion and astro is harsh for showing things up. Could you use some lens distortion fix say in Photoshop first and then stack those images.

14 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

I hadn't considered lens distortion, though with the stars distorting even without any foreground might suggest some barrel distortion and astro is harsh for showing things up. Could you use some lens distortion fix say in Photoshop first and then stack those images.

Could try but don't know what would result.

2 hours ago, Daniel-K said:

canon 16-35mm F4L

If it's like mine it distorts quite a bit.
It might be distortion, there are some odd swirling patterns, unless thats DSS trying to align stars.
It's possible Registar might be able to align them but that is not cheap either.

If you use a Mac to process your images then try " Starry Landscape Stacker ". It looks to be by far the very best of Starscape stackers.

If you, like me, use Windows then you're out of luck. 

Registar does a very good job of Stars if they take up most of the image but you'd still have to stack the foreground separately. I do that in PS.

Dave

5 hours ago, davew said:

If you use a Mac to process your images then try " Starry Landscape Stacker ". It looks to be by far the very best of Starscape stackers.

If you, like me, use Windows then you're out of luck. 

Registar does a very good job of Stars if they take up most of the image but you'd still have to stack the foreground separately. I do that in PS.

Dave

I'm like you Dave :( 

i think I've found the problem there where some subs taken at different focal lengths mixed in. I took them out last night and tried to restack but DSS crashed oh how ive missed using DSS lol ? i will try again later.

thanks to all who have helped so far 

Archived