Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Venus in daylight

kerrylewis

I updated the firmware on the Ioptron mount yesterday so gave it a test run this morning as it is supposed to improve pointing accuracy. With the Tak and the Herschel wedge the sun was a brilliant pearly white; a blank disc but still beautiful. I synced to this and then tried Venus (changing the diagonal of course), and to my delight it was bang in the middle of the field of view of the 10mm Ethos. There's something magical about seeing the brighter plants in daylight. It looked ethereal but sharp against the brilliant patches of blue sky between the clouds. 

Jupiter and Saturn also always looks fascinating  in daylight I think - just ghosts of their nighttime selves but lovely nonetheless. I would try this evening but there's much more cloud about now and some showers - but this morning will do for now. 

2 hours ago, MarsG76 said:

Excellent stuff.. I envy you guys who have the time to set your gear up during the day and do these kind of observations.... 

That's the advantage of being retired! 

39 minutes ago, Pete Presland said:

Agreed Kerry, there is something very satisfying about observing the planets in daylight. Venus is incredibly easy to spot in the day, if you know where to look. I have seen Jupiter as well, but never Saturn.

Managed a ghostly Jupiter this evening too. I have seen Saturn in the past but I suppose it depends on the definition of daylight. I'll have to check back in my notes for the details. 

Archived