Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observing Hood

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The monks hood arrived today and it seems really high quality to me. It just needs a brand name on it! Seriously, the fabric is very good and the hood itself is massive. I haven't yet tried it, but I have no doubt that it can cover ones eye from any external light. :) 

Highly recommended! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got mine, two weeks after ordering, on Wednesday; just tried it for the first time with 7x50 binos: very impressed! The hood blocks the reflected light of a really bright  high output-LED - illuminated churchtower (christmas time is coming) very efficiently; I was able to observe the Mirfak star region in Perseus about 25 degrees away without problems. Adjusting the focus (center focus wheel and diopter) could be done through the fabric.

On 20.10.2017 at 19:47, Piero said:

It just needs a brand name on it!

A brand name is added now: "R-Sky" astro instruments.

Looking forward to the use with a scope (cloud cover now complete).

Stephan

Excellent service from the suppliers in Russia!

Mine arrive on Wednesday as well, not tested it with the scope yet though. It has very good light blocking properties, I tried in the house and can hardly see a 60w bulb through it. The material looks a good quality as well, plenty big enough, just got to wait until the 25th of next month before I officially receive it :icon_santa:

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Paz said:

I'm (hopefully) getting one of these for Christmas. :)

It’s always a nervous wait to find out if you’re on the naughty or nice list ;) 

I’m sure you’ll be very pleased with it. I’ve been using mine for a few months and am very pleased with it. Helps a lot at home with any security lights or street lights that are on

• 2 months later...

I've now given this quite a few outings and it does make a noticeable improvement  when observing especially with direct light pollution or in daylight. One thing to look out for though is vibes from it touching the scope. With the porta 2 mount it does create a lot of vibes, but with the eq5 which is much more rigid it doesn't.

One other thing is it keeps your head warm when the it's cold!

Received my observing hood this morning, it's very well made, have to wait to test it out,

I am hoping it will be soon, still snow and ice around at the moment, chance of more snow ❄,

there were lots of great Russian stamps on the packaging, a nice bonus.

I have been using one since November last, and I now wear it at every session. It is large enough to envelope the focuser, to the extent that  I can grasp it underneath and completely shut out everything, allowing cyclops mode observing with both eyes open.

1 hour ago, Saganite said:

I have been using one since November last, and I now wear it at every session. It is large enough to envelope the focuser, to the extent that  I can grasp it underneath and completely shut out everything, allowing cyclops mode observing with both eyes open.

I do exactly the same when observing from home, works a treat.
As I have said a number of times before, 'these hoods are good'.

These hoods are certainly very good, I use mine for solar as much as anything. My only slight gripe is that the inner lining is not fixed, and tends to drop down. I may add a couple of stitches to hold it in place. Not a big deal, they are a great size and shape, good value.

35 minutes ago, Stu said:

These hoods are certainly very good, I use mine for solar as much as anything. My only slight gripe is that the inner lining is not fixed, and tends to drop down. I may add a couple of stitches to hold it in place. Not a big deal, they are a great size and shape, good value.

Funny you should mention that, I actually did put a couple of stitches in mine just at the top, you can't see them, but they work a treat to hold the lining in place.  I also added a strip of Velcro to hold the front of the hood closed around the eyepiece. 

3 minutes ago, Trikeflyer said:

Funny you should mention that, I actually did put a couple of stitches in mine just at the top, you can't see them, but they work a treat to hold the lining in place.  I also added a strip of Velcro to hold the front of the hood closed around the eyepiece. 

Could you post a pic of what you’ve done to improve it if you don’t mind.

I will get the wife to add the Velcro at least, sounds like a great way to keep the ep covered ?

7 hours ago, Richard Hather said:

Could you post a pic of what you’ve done to improve it if you don’t mind.

I will get the wife to add the Velcro at least, sounds like a great way to keep the ep covered ?

Two pics enclosed. I sewed the lining in by using a couple of discreetly placed stitches around the top edge. The first pic is the hood turned inside out so you can see the stitches. When turned the right way round, you can't see the stitches. Second pic is the Velcro which just serves to reduce the size of the gap at the front and this just neatly fits over the eyepiece so it doesn't flop about. Hope that helps.

Steve

IMG_0077.JPG

IMG_0079.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Mine arrived today, after a completely hassle-free ordering experience. :happy11:

DSC_1501.thumb.JPG.e44aeb4f6503c4882e1417ffebaf47e3.JPG

I'm old and silly. And it's getting worse by the day. But perhaps some of you are also of an age that you remember a time when ordering something by post from Russia - they called it something else, back then - was completely and utterly inconceivable. To be able to locate someone out there making Good Stuff, order and pay with a few taps of the index finger and to have it arrive with no issues or complications whatsoever, that to me is something of a miracle. Right up there with landing men on the Moon. Makes me feel good about our chances for the future, no matter how hard we seem to be trying to mess it all up... :icon_biggrin:

Anyway, if anyone reading this has any remaining doubts about getting one of these from Roman, just eschew those doubts. Roman is The Man. :thumbright:

By the way, does anyone want the stamps? I'll save them for a while just in case. PM me. :cool:

On 10/20/2017 at 19:47, Piero said:

It just needs a brand name on it!

Sorted.

DSC_1505.thumb.JPG.72f2adc579be670ee63204ad32ae9e25.JPG

The mirror says it should do the job...

DSC_1506.thumb.JPG.008a7833f5cafb42f465340327fd699b.JPG

Archived