Narrowband

Llandwyn milkyway

Last night i spent the night on Llandwyn Island had the place to my self. ive not done any wide field imaging for ages it felt good to get out. it was quite warm but a little windy so these are the best i could produce. 

also tried a 180 degree pano for the first time, PS doesn't seem to want to stitch it straight and ICE makes the stars squintish any advice on the pano would be grand

canon 5Dmiii

16-35mm F4L

ISO 4000

30" exposures

MWAY2 (1 of 1).jpg

lladdwyn milkyway (1 of 1).jpg

megapano (1 of 1).jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I wrote a reply and posted it, who knows what thread I ended up in?

Image 2 does it for me, OK so it is noisy, but the composition wins out every time.

You have a smokiness to the Milkyway boiling out of the sea with the Lighthouse acting as sentinel.

Nice one Danny. :)

16 minutes ago, RichM63 said:

Well I wrote a reply and posted it, who knows what thread I ended up in?

Image 2 does it for me, OK so it is noisy, but the composition wins out every time.

You have a smokiness to the Milkyway boiling out of the sea with the Lighthouse acting as sentinel.

Nice one Danny. :)

thanks richm63 looking at it now looks like I've raised the shadows too much i was processing in a bright room.I'll change that. 

just glad to be out saw a wicked fire ball

10 hours ago, Uplooker said:

Hi again Dan,

Doh, just posted in your lighthouse thread, then the next thread I looked at was this one - with the MW shots!

Thise have come out really well, I'm very impressed.

Thanks Ian i was battling high winds and was hiding behind some rocks, its the first time in nearly a year ive been out to shoot astro. might try and convince MR's K to let me get a F2.8 so i can keep the noise down. ive tried stacking in DSS but seem to be having some issues. its been too long since i use it . 

Lovely images, well done! If you're thinking of treating yourself to a Samyang 14 f/2.8 or similar just do it (once permission has been given of course ?).

I've got the Canon 16-35 f/4 L and the Samyang beats it every time for widefield astro - it's virtually coma free wide open and as sharp as a tack!

Once again, fantastic images! :icon_salut:

3 hours ago, RichLD said:

Lovely images, well done! If you're thinking of treating yourself to a Samyang 14 f/2.8 or similar just do it (once permission has been given of course ?).

I've got the Canon 16-35 f/4 L and the Samyang beats it every time for widefield astro - it's virtually coma free wide open and as sharp as a tack!

Once again, fantastic images! :icon_salut:

i was thinking of trying the 24mm F1.4 samyang but the 14mm does look very good

An amazing location, last time I was there I managed to get stranded as the tide had come in and ended up sleeping on the beach for 2 hours :) The joys of astro...  These are ok, but they are possibly a bit noisy. I would try to blend your exposures, this would allow you to do a longer exposure on the ground (less noise, lower ISO, etc) then combine/blend with a Milky Way shot.  Also for quick noise reduction I tend to use the Google Nik Package - mainly as it is free and it is quick to use, it puts the output on a new layer so you can easily bring back detail if needed.

Some good suggestions on other glass options, the new (ish) Samyang XP 14mm F/2.4 is giving some great results, plus the  Sigma 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM (bit expensive).  I tend to shoot with the Tamron 15 - 30 f2.8 - this did really well in the Lonely Speck's Astro Lens Guide - https://www.lonelyspeck.com/lonely-specks-ultimate-list-of-best-astrophotography-lenses/

Sammy 21 is an amazing lens, FOV is possibly a bit tight, but it does stack very well and if you get a good copy is so sharp!! - the trick for the Pano's is to give a lot of overlap, so a simple pano head can make life easier.   But to improve the pano I would suggest using the long end as this gives less edge distortion, or go for something with a more normal field of view so possibly a 50mm is ideal. There are some nice cheap options which are nice and sharp, the Canon 50 STM f1.8 is great when stopped down to f2.8 and can be found for around £100???

I forget what I posted on here, I will add three images - this is on my 1Dx, so a very similar noise/ISO performance to the 5D3 - this was ISO3,200, f3.2 at 30"

JohnBaker-JFBX0987-small.thumb.jpg.98777b656dcd78d1216bc969e612e8eb.jpg

Looking at the histogram on your pics, you have a lot more detail you could pull out of the RAWs. This shot was taken on my second visit and I have included to show what noise reduction can do, so this was on my 1Dx which has a very similar sensor to the 5D3 and shot at ISO 6,400, f2.8 at 30" - I wanted to show how there is better rendition of the colours - OK it was not such a nice night, but it worked for me

JohnBaker-JFBX1017-small.thumb.jpg.0d74edbf0472039e6fbdbd2b7a02f70b.jpg

and finally why you always need to check the times of the tides and why Llandwyn Island is an Island :)

JohnBaker-JFBX1037-small.thumb.jpg.4f22d5abdd5e1258b07d78714371b517.jpg

@John Baker thanks for the advice I'm currently trying to stack my milky way shots i took,but its been so long since I've used DSS finding it difficult.

I'm not keen on the nifty fifty ive just sold one the focus ring is utter garbage.

i do use Nik but i haven't used it on any of these images. 

TBH john i was so excited i forgot about an image blend and just wanted to capture the MW. Live and learn aye.

funny you should that you got cut off. I did too although i new when high tide was i arrived with just over an hour before high tide and it was covered. I had to wait a little longer than two hours though so i stayed for sun rise.

1 hour ago, Daniel-K said:

@John Baker thanks for the advice I'm currently trying to stack my milky way shots i took,but its been so long since I've used DSS finding it difficult.

I'm not keen on the nifty fifty ive just sold one the focus ring is utter garbage.

i do use Nik but i haven't used it on any of these images. 

TBH john i was so excited i forgot about an image blend and just wanted to capture the MW. Live and learn aye.

funny you should that you got cut off. I did too although i new when high tide was i arrived with just over an hour before high tide and it was covered. I had to wait a little longer than two hours though so i stayed for sun rise.

Stacking - that is what I am trying to do, but I do struggle to carry all the kit to some locations.

NIfty Fifty - agree, but it depends how much you use, I picked up a nice 1.4 for £100 which I tend to use, it's not great at 1.4 but stopped down to f2 it is great - it also gives a nce view on the tracker. I do find that most of my lenses need a large wrist band on to stop the focus moving, the 50 is rather bad for drifting, possibly the motor in the tracker???

Nik - I find this quick and easy to use, I tend to use Viveza for localised sharpening/structure, I like the way it puts it on a new layer so I can blend the opactiy

Star Crazy - we all go there, we go out with the best plans and then simply forget...

Tide - waits for no man :)

Just like Uplooker, I'd spotted and commented about your shot of Llanddwyn Lighthouse, but not found this thread, well done, some really nice wides, and I can just make out my house in the Pano:icon_biggrin:

Llanddwyn.thumb.jpg.eeda5c6662c2b50ebcd1c0ec7e1d1ba2.jpg

I'm quite lucky, only major LP comes from Caernarfon, about a mile and a half to my East, otherwise, nice dark skies

Huw

Archived