Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solar 29 July 17

Moonshane

Very nice Shane. Having been away to Dorset for a few days, we had one day of wonderful, clear blue skies and the next was pouring with rain, like being inside a cloud! Strange old summer we are getting.

That said, the seeing in White Light I got on the clear day was better than I've had for a long time.

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Strange old summer we are getting.

I have been wondering if we are heading for one of those mini ice age's. I recall their was one a good few decades ago where the Thames froze. It was so hard they used it as a "road" way with markets set up on it and everything. I seem to recall there was also had a pretty bad winter within the last century. I watch a documentary and if I remember correct it saying full blown ice age happen every 20K years or so but that we are not due one with in our lifetime. Weather of late does seem to be very sporadic often seeing wet Summer (one case of flooding recently in Devon) mild autums and dry cold winters.

15 minutes ago, spaceboy said:

I have been wondering if we are heading for one of those mini ice age's. I recall their was one a good few decades ago where the Thames froze. It was so hard they used it as a "road" way with markets set up on it and everything. I seem to recall there was also had a pretty bad winter within the last century. I watch a documentary and if I remember correct it saying full blown ice age happen every 20K years or so but that we are not due one with in our lifetime. Weather of late does seem to be very sporadic often seeing wet Summer (one case of flooding recently in Devon) mild autums and dry cold winters.

Blimey mate. You need a happy pill! Or some solar ?

20 hours ago, spaceboy said:

Don't think things are quite that bad Nick!

I'm actually quite surprised how much activity there is still, particularly in Ha given that we are at or around solar minimum.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Don't think things are quite that bad Nick!

I'm actually quite surprised how much activity there is still, particularly in Ha given that we are at or around solar minimum.

With all due respect Stu I've seen you in a pair of shorts middle of October so there's a possibility you were an Eskimo in a previous life and don't feel the cold :D

I agree that Ha is invaluable for keeping a hand in solar at the moment but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the recent big sun spot comes back around for a bit more WL observing. 

2 minutes ago, spaceboy said:

With all due respect Stu I've seen you in a pair of shorts middle of October so there's a possibility you were an Eskimo in a previous life and don't feel the cold :D

Well they remain on all year round, and I've even been known to wonder why my toes are chilly only to look down and see I have flip flops on.... with snow on the ground so perhaps you are right!!! :):) 

Archived