Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron Skymaster 15x70 or 25x70

Mr niall

Hello there - birthday soon, was thinking about some binocs to compliment my 127 Mak. The skymaster 70 bins seem like good value but the old interweb seems flooded with reviews and opinions and I don't really know who or what to believe! Has anyone here got an opinion or, even better, actually owned some? I want them for Astro only not daytime use, and I was wondering what the difference would be between the 15x70 and 25x70? From what I understand the 25x might be a bit much for bins, make them a real challenge to use handheld, and might be less contrasty; does that sound right? I've got loyalty points with Rother Valley so could get the 15x70 for £50 if I'm quick which seems like good value. Many thanks

Niall

I'd go for the 15x. My Opticron 11x70's can just about be hand held although they show a lot more when on a tripod. 15x will be a little more challenging but 25x it's tripod only IMHO. The higher magnfication should help tease out the faint objects if your have some light pollution but, as said, they would need to be on a solid tripod all the time to be of any use I feel.

I had two sky master binos a 15x70 and a 20x80 they both craped out on me. Both of them were out of collimation, and the 20x80s focusing mechanism broke. I don't know if this was just unlucky or if it's a bad product, somebody else might be able to provide a different view.

1 hour ago, Mr niall said:

Hello there - birthday soon, was thinking about some binocs to compliment my 127 Mak

To compliment my scope, I prefer low power and wide angle, providing better panoramic views, and have  the telescope deal with magnification.
None of the binoculars in my collection will better the telescope in magnification. I can also easily hand hold the low powered binoculars without too much of an issue, there's still some movement with the stars, but mounted, their all pretty good, but the 8x40's are my favourite when aside the scope.

The 15x70's I own are ok, though much better I found when  used at a darker site, as in the past I have often frowned upon their performance,  because I was not seeing some of the targets that others say they could see ( but then they might not have  6 street lights in their field of view ) but from a darker site, things start to appear!  but still no planetary details on the likes of Jupiter, all I see is  just  a bright white disk. There are however, better binoculars out there (optically and build quality ) but they will still only produce to my eyes, the same bright light disk, that is Jupiter. ( But its still my desire  to change my present 15x50's for another brand ). 

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Glimpse111 said:

I have had both 15x70 and 25x70. I love 15x70 because it has a wide view and easy to hold. 25x70 is very narrow and havier than 15x70.

I would go for 15x70 without giving it a second thought :)

Thanks - thats a relief I actually went for the 15x70! Arrived yesterday, had a play but was too cloudy to use last night. Yes - definitely glad I went for the 15's not the 25's, any narrower a fov and I would really struggle without a tripod.

Happy Birthday! And congratulations!

I also have the Celestron SkyMaster 15 X 70's. And I like them very much. Only problem was the design of the tripod-adapter - too thin and wobbly. So I picked-up one of the flat metal one's in the image below. Sometimes these have been known to arrive out-of-collimation. But the fix for that is quite easy to do. A search on the net will yield the way to collimate them. As for a tripod, I use a simple photo-tripod type of mount. Bought mine from Orion (USA) and it works great for my methods of observation.

Again - HAPPY BIRTHDAY & Many More,

Dave

ss_bitb.jpg.c22e74a8922950d3a2241ff260346265.jpg

I use the 15x70s quite a bit, particularly on holiday. I use the top of the car as a support (up to a certain latitude) or my photo monopod (I have used a decent tripod but struggle to get my eyes or the bins at a comfortable height).

Chris

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have recently purchased a Celestron Cavalry 15x70 and I think they are out of collimation a really small amount. Because after a while they give me headache but I don't see anything double and I have tried some tests and couldn't notice anything. I'm afraid to make it worst than it is so I'm not gonna try to adjust them for now.

One thing I want to mention; I had some cheap tripod for my DSLR and although it can carry the binoculars it is quite wobbly. Besides they are not high enough to get under for observing the sky (good enough for landscape though). So I prefer hand holding while lying down. And you need dark skies, from light polluted city skies I can't see anything... But it was very nice to use them when I was at a dark site. I could see many of the messier objects.

Hi,

good to hear you made the  choice and, at £50, you seem to have got a bargain. My first pair were out of collimation but were exchanged and 3 years down the line, have been fine. 

I do handle them gently though - just to be on the safe side.  

John

Archived