Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

It's all kicking off !

andrew63

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

The use of the hood removed all stray light so I was able to really judge the different stars and their magnitude in the surrounding area.

Mine's in the post :) Looking forward to giving it a test run on the Nova when it arrives!

On 11/08/2017 at 08:46, Moonshane said:

Don't forget my sketch is right  left reversed as I was using a refractor. For newts I uploaded a flipped version on another thread. Hope this helps. It was still the same two nights ago.

20170806_230435.thumb.jpg.048b0f5f4cfddff367f3fc975243acfe.jpg

Big thank you, Shane. I currently have the Nova in my eyepiece looking exactly as shown in your sketch above. Very happy.  First Nova :D 

Well done Neil :icon_biggrin:

I've had a look again tonight. I think it's faded a bit more again. Definitely not equal to the two brighter stars in that little "diamond" asterism now. Getting more like the fainter one, but not quite there yet.

1 minute ago, John said:

Well done Neil :icon_biggrin:

I've had a look again tonight. I think it's faded a bit more again. Definitely not equal to the two brighter stars in that little "diamond" asterism now. Getting more like the fainter one, but not quite there yet.

Thank you, John :) Agree that it's the faintest of them. I don't have a basis for comparison but am certainly happy to have caught it before it faded too much more!

On 11/08/2017 at 12:09, Mark at Beaufort said:

Stu I could have a picture taken but I would look like Obi-Wan Kenobi :happy11:

This is the product - http://r-sky.org/en/products/observing-hood

Reminds me of the parkas with extended hoods we had in the 70s called 'snorkels'. There was a moral panic that they would lead to a rash of road accidents!

spiewak-n3b-snorkel-parka.jpg

Archived