Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

It's all kicking off !

andrew63

There's a new comet just found in Cetus moving north, around mag. 10 and a Supernova in Psc in NGC 474 mag 13.7 but still brightening. And a bright Nova in Scutum mag. 8.8 so visible in binoculars -  for details see the sky & telescope link.  The sky awakens !

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/sky-surprises-new-comet-c2017-o1-scutum-nova-and-a-supernova-to-boot/

andrew

ASASSN17_hx-nova-finder_S.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, andrew63 said:

I had my first sighting of the Nova in Scutum between the clouds. It made a triangle with a 8.2 and 8.75 stars - i estimate about 8.5 for the nova.  Nice pass of the ISS also.

andrew

Agreed Andrew. I started to look using my Apollo 15x70 and could not be sure. So I grabbed my Heritage 130P + ES68 24mm EP and looked again. I crossed reference the stars against Stellarium and I could see 3 stars as you stated. Its now become totally cloudy but I am hoping for another look. Thanks again for the original 'heads up'.

There's also this charting from Sky & Telescope:

597bf0f24ce22_CometASSASN1-C-201701.thumb.jpg.d9dec1a0412be61193e1215b1b8183f1.jpg

From what I've been reading from people, this very much bears watching. It's already shown a fast drop in magnitude - from 15.3MB to 10MB very quickly. Maybe I'll get a chance to test-pilot my SWAN-Filter (an oldie from Lumicon of bygone years)!

Happy Hunting!

Dave

5 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

There's also this charting from Sky & Telescope:

597bf0f24ce22_CometASSASN1-C-201701.thumb.jpg.d9dec1a0412be61193e1215b1b8183f1.jpg

From what I've been reading from people, this very much bears watching. It's already shown a fast drop in magnitude - from 15.3MB to 10MB very quickly. Maybe I'll get a chance to test-pilot my SWAN-Filter (an oldie from Lumicon of bygone years)!

Happy Hunting!

Dave

Dave from reading some reports it appears that the SWAN Filter does a good job on enhancing the Comet. Look forward to reading your observation reports.

11 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Dave from reading some reports it appears that the SWAN Filter does a good job on enhancing the Comet. Look forward to reading your observation reports.

That it works on this particular comet??

If so - Oh Happy Day!! Finally!

Now to blow these clouds out of here.....

Dave

10 hours ago, alanjgreen said:

NGC474 doesnt get much above the horizon from the UK until September but it may still be around then as its a type 1a

Yes it does, provided you stay up very late or get up very early :). Worth it if it's a good one.

I was going to look for NGC474 last night after viewing the Nova. Astro darkness was ending about 2.30am and at that time the SN was 25 degrees above the horizon (approx in Hereford - not sure about Cumbria). Unfortunately too many clouds. I am hoping to have a good look for this SN with the 12" during August.

I'm glad some folks have had early success with these targets. Since reading the "heads up" it's been solid clouds and rain here - rather rotten for late July but there does seem to be a pattern developing - decent weather in the run up to the end of school term then a lousy couple of weeks for the 1st couple of weeks that the kids are off school !

Luckily mine are in their 20's now so we are not tied to the school hols any more.

When we do get some clear sky I'll certainly have a crack at the nova. Not sure that the SN is in a "friendly" part of the sky for me though :icon_scratch:

The comet might have to wait a few weeks.

This morning I was reading my 'The Night Sky Observer's Guide - Kepple/Sanner' to get an idea about NGC 474. The book gives it "2 stars - Faint Objects - low surface brightness  - may need Averted vision with smaller scopes. A 12" generally gives a good view". There is a nice sketch in the book showing NGC 474, 470 and 467 all in the same FOV. So notwithstanding the SN it might be a nice collection of galaxies to seek out.

14 hours ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Agreed Andrew. I started to look using my Apollo 15x70 and could not be sure. So I grabbed my Heritage 130P + ES68 24mm EP and looked again. I crossed reference the stars against Stellarium and I could see 3 stars as you stated. Its now become totally cloudy but I am hoping for another look. Thanks again for the original 'heads up'.

I did not try with binoculars Mark.  In the 4" at 19x though, there was a noticeable 'red hue' to the Nova. Rough sketch from last night.

andrew

nova scutum.JPG

11 hours ago, John said:

I'm glad some folks have had early success with these targets. Since reading the "heads up" it's been solid clouds and rain here -

The comet might have to wait a few weeks.

Thanks for posting that, I thought it was just me suffering in Somerset !

Just had a few brief views of the nova over the last half hour or so between clouds. It could have been slightly fainter tonight - it was close in brightness to  HD 170700 which is mag 8.75 from stellarium, but possible a fraction fainter.

andrew

Nice one Andrew :smiley:

Just too many clouds and not enough gaps here tonight. Had a nice short session on the Moon earlier but before real darkness arrived the gaps mostly closed over.

Thanks for keeping us up to date on this one Andrew.

I managed to find a surprise brief gap in the clouds about 50min ago and grabbed the 10x50 binos, easily located the right area with gamma being so close :) ,,   just enough time to determine that - - >

- - It was not visible ! which meant that there had been no dramatic rise !! Then whilst debating if I should dark-adapt or go get big bertha the clouds rolled back in and that put paid to it. Doesnt look promising and bed is inviting.

The forecast tonight is for a few more clear spells - so hopefully you'll both get a look !  I didn't try again with binoculars, but Neptune is mag 7.8 and the Nova is around a full mag. less bright, so it might be challenging.

andrew

2 hours ago, andrew63 said:

but Neptune is mag 7.8 and the Nova is around a full mag. less bright, so it might be challenging.

Yes very!

My bino use was really only to quickly see if there had been any further rise (and to warrant getting my 9.25Evo out of retirement !!! )  I checked afterwards with AAVSO and there were two obs (visual) last evening, at 8.4 and 8.8. Now this am. more have been added at about 9.2 9.3 and 9.4 -ish so you were spot on with that 'it is decreasing' estimate.

I did get a brief clear spell 1&1/2 hr later, spotted a satellite in the right sort of direction for a poss. Mayak - went to HeavensAbove to check and it had crashed ** logging everyone in on spurious accounts and locations  - and the nova by then was behind my trees, , so not a good night lol !

Interesting that the Vprevalid on AAVSO is also falling, ( had been a cluster round mag8.4, now 2 more have appeared at mag8.8) , so I may have to add this to my list of ones that got away :( !

To make matters worse I arose this am. to sun and 50% blue sky ggrrr when did that happen ? :)

Edit : ** back online now

Archived