SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NEW Sky-Watcher AZ-GTi Wi-Fi Alt-Azimuth mount

Hmm, after a bit of digging I'm intrigued wondering how much this advances from the Star Discovery AZ Go-To apart from the wi-fi capability. Against the older Synscan AZ Go-To the available data on motor resolution is better along with Freedom-Find ability and the wi-fi. Will the older Synscan mount be heading for the technological rest home?

Regards,
Steve

1 hour ago, tooth_dr said:

would there be any advantages of this AZ mount over the SA?

Only the Goto feature, but for long exposures the AZ would have field rotation so wouldn't out weigh the benefit of the SA being an equatorial mount. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

As I think you don't rely on long exposure for solar images is an equatorial needed?

I don't think it is, but the ability to use it for LX is a deal breaker me.

Edited by tooth_dr

Only short exposures are required for solar, lunar, and planetary imaging, so either mount would be fine. 

You obviously don't need the goto feature to find these objects, so the AZ-gti Wifi goto might be overkill.

1 hour ago, Lockie said:

Only short exposures are required for solar, lunar, and planetary imaging, so either mount would be fine. 

You obviously don't need the goto feature to find these objects, so the AZ-gti Wifi goto might be overkill.

Not sure about the not need the goto aspect. Someome once did ask "At night how do I find the moon?" :help:

• Like 1

LX = long exposure.  I'd want to be taking long exposure widefield photos as much as solar imaging, and I won't really need goto as much as I don't want field rotation either! I've been on the fence about buying an SA, but the more I think about it, it's probably closest to ideal. 

20 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

LX = long exposure.  I'd want to be taking long exposure widefield photos as much as solar imaging

You'd be better off with the SA then, as it's equatorial and won't have the field rotation present in long exposures. 

The new AZ-gti looks really good apart from a couple of reports concerning twist in the tripod head, but it strikes me more as a grab and go mount for visual and short exposure imaging of planets, moon, and Sun rather than a deep sky AP mount

Edited by Lockie
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Lockie said:

You'd be better off if the SA then, as it's equatorial and won't have the field rotation present in long exposures. 

The new AZ-gti looks really good apart from a couple of reports concerning twist in the tripod head, but it strikes me more of a grab and go mount for visual and short exposure imaging rather then a Deep Sky AP mount

That sounds like a fair appraisal. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, jetstream said:

I wonder if this mount would work well with the Heritage 130?

Gerry I think it would be an ideal mount. I first thought about the AZ Pronto but the saddle position means that the RDF would be in a difficult position and not easy to use - IMHO. That is why I fancied the AZ5.

The Az-GTi wifi puts the saddle in the side position making it perfect for the Heritage 130P and the weight should be no problem.

I don't use goto systems but this little device could be quite useful on trips.

• Like 2

Gerry I have to agree with your grand daughter. I just love the Heritage it is so easy to set up and with 5" I have had some great views in Scorpio and Sagittarius this year. So perhaps I might treat myself to a wifi goto mount. I am visiting my Son (San Francisco) next year for 3 weeks so the Az-GTi wifi might come in handy.

• Like 1

The mount head weighs just 1.3 kg from the first post and if it can go on any decent photo tripod you may not even need to take tripod legs with you but borrow some when out there. (Needs the 3/8" tripod fitting looking at the first page).

Edited by happy-kat

I do like this mount, I can have my DSLR and lens on it and from the comfort on my sofa be able to find/focus and image either the moon or any other object, I would disable tracking and just use the 400 rule for wide shots or track objects like the moon with the 400 lens.

Alan

2 hours ago, jetstream said:

I wonder if this mount would work well with the Heritage 130?

I immediately thought of my Heritage 130p when saw this mount, could be a perfect combination.....on a solid tripod. I'm not actually sure I need goto for visual, might be useful for finding dim objects in areas where there few stars, or small PNs at higher magnification, but then I'm not sure this is a good mount for using at high mags. Would save a lot of bending and twisting of the neck though. ? I guess its one of those things you just have to try and see if it improves the observing experience.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, RobertI said:

I immediately thought of my Heritage 130p when saw this mount, could be a perfect combination.....on a solid tripod. I'm not actually sure I need goto for visual, might be useful for finding dim objects in areas where there few stars, or small PNs at higher magnification, but then I'm not sure this is a good mount for using at high mags. Would save a lot of bending and twisting of the neck though. ? I guess its one of those things you just have to try and see if it improves the observing experience.

Yes its stability as a unit would be nice to know as would other tripod options if we want to enhance stability if its needed. It is quite possible it will work well as is though.

• Like 1

Imagine getting a long 3/8" tripod thread bolt and fitting it to a table attach the pillar and head and keep the seated table based observing. Wonder if like the virtuoso the mount still likes to face a certain way before turning on. Tempted to download the user manual.

Edit: silly me just attach to mount then loosen azimuth axis align north* then tighten up. (* If it's needed)

Edited by happy-kat

12 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

Imagine getting a long 3/8" tripod thread bolt and fitting it to a table attach the pillar and head and keep the seated table based observing. Wonder if like the virtuoso the mount still likes to face a certain way before turning on. Tempted to download the user manual.

I think one of the alignment modes is 'levelled and pointing North' but otherwise I guess it is just find your first alignment star manually from which ever start position?