Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NEW Sky-Watcher AZ-GTi Wi-Fi Alt-Azimuth mount

22 minutes ago, RobertI said:

Lovely looking setup. What sort of issues are you experiencing?

Hi.

The problem is in the external power outlet. I could have tried the mount with batteries but I decided  it was better to contact with the supplier and ask for a replacement

Anyway, the telescope is quite short and I think the mount can handle it although the weight it`s a bit over the limit

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JG777 said:

Any chance one of the owners here can measure the tripod length when disconnected and closed up? Wondering if it fits into a suitcase!

Thanks

Will try and remember to measure it when I get home.. I have tried a couple of different tripods, the Manfrotto 055 (about £50 on ebay) is much better than the supplied one.

1 hour ago, JG777 said:

Thanks Jon, appreciated. Yes have looked at the 055 pro as a suitable contender ,closes down to 61 cm with 170 cm height ,add a pier and it could be good for binocular set up. 

The SW tripod is 70cm tall, you also have the plate to store.

My old 055C is 67cm with the centre column fitted, 62 with it removed.

20171003_172628.jpg

20171003_172950.jpg

Hello, 

I received this mount today and am in Sydney Australia.  First impressions are good but I have a problem with the SynScan app - It is configured correctly and communicating with the mount fine. 

The problem is the database seems incorrect as the Moon is currently high in the Sky but the App is reporting it is 24 degrees below the Horizon. 

I tried this on two devices, a Samsung phone and an iPad - both have the same issue. 

Anyone else in Australia having the same issue or have it working ok? 

I have tried changing the following in both devices.

1.  Manual and Auto location settings. 

2.  24 vs 12 hour time setting.

3.  Auto and Manual time setting. 

It reports the time correctly as GMT +11

Here is a short video I made of the problem. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4Zjq8Fs_u4

Edited by Rob2160
Spacing of lines.

I was having some problems with my mount, in that there was excess backlash in both alt and Az. I finally got the chance to follow the instructions sent to me by FLO, and basically I believe I am all sorted. The worm gears are held in position with screw which clamps them in place, plus a spring which pulls them into place as soon as the screw is loosened.

Both the screws on my mount were very loose, so the worms were jumping out of place. I released the screws, then retightened them and all was nearly well. The only remaining issue was that the gearing tightened too much at certain parts of the Az rotation. I found the tightest point and then readjusted and hopefully that is it now. Provided things don't loosen again I think I will be happy.

I tried the mount with my tracer battery for the first time (had to buy a lead), and it sounds and feels much more determined :):) 

52 minutes ago, Rob2160 said:

Hello, 

I received this mount today and am in Sydney Australia.  First impressions are good but I have a problem with the SynScan app - It is configured correctly and communicating with the mount fine. 

The problem is the database seems incorrect as the Moon is currently high in the Sky but the App is reporting it is 24 degrees below the Horizon. 

I tried this on two devices, a Samsung phone and an iPad - both have the same issue. 

Anyone else in Australia having the same issue or have it working ok? 

I have tried changing the following in both devices.

1.  Manual and Auto location settings. 

2.  24 vs 12 hour time setting.

3.  Auto and Manual time setting. 

It reports the time correctly as GMT +11

Here is a short video I made of the problem. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4Zjq8Fs_u4

Curious? Have you slewed to the Moon? In which case did the scope actually point 15 degrees below? I think I know the answer but worth a shot.

14 minutes ago, Lockie said:

Curious? Have you slewed to the Moon? In which case did the scope actually point 15 degrees below? I think I know the answer but worth a shot.

Hi Chris and thanks for the reply.  No, I could not select it as the App as it stated it was 'Below the Horizon'

I ran out of time to test it further but will try again on the weekend.  I have contacted Skywatcher by email and also the supplier - hopefully they will get it sorted soon enough.  It only appears to be a problem with the Moon at this stage - the other planets are being reported correctly. 

Edited by Rob2160
fix a typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob2160 said:

Further testing on this problem using the Synscan hand controller from my Star Discovery Mount. 

The hand controller works nicely with the mount but still has a problem with the Moon. 

Anyone successfully tracking the Moon with this mount? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_P4NzRIweE

It might be better to start a new thread in the appropriate equipment section.

• Like 1

+1 for the above :) I think you'll get more help if you start a thread entitled something like " help needed with Skywatcher AZ GTI mount issue".  I wish I could help but I only have experience with Synscan goto's. Weird how you're still getting the Moon location issue using the Synscan controller though, I thought it must have been a bug in the tablet/phone software something? 

3 hours ago, Stu said:

I've got a handset on the way too as I think that may well be easier than using the phone.

That will be a big blow to the marketing department given that the WiFi feature is what makes it different from other SW mounts of this size :rolleyes2:

19 minutes ago, DRT said:

That will be a big blow to the marketing department given that the WiFi feature is what makes it different from other SW mounts of this size :rolleyes2:

We will see Derek. If it worked with SkySafari without needing two phones I would possibly feel different. Let's hope that gets sorted soon.

15 hours ago, Cornelius Varley said:

It might be better to start a new thread in the appropriate equipment section.

Thanks Peter and Chris for your suggestions - I am now in contact with Skywatcher who have identified and confirmed the problem and have already sent me beta software to test the fix.  I'll start a new thread about it.  

Edited by Rob2160
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, Suprnova said:

How would this handle a SW 80ED?

Should be fine, but may be worth using it on a stronger tripod. I use mine with a tak FC-100 which is longer and heavier and it is quite ok.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MrOD said:

Anyone knows (or tried) if it works with SkySafari? (Without Synscan hand controller)

On Android yes, but on iOS you need two devices, one running the Synscan App and the other SkySafari.

• Like 1

Hello everyone,

I bought the package that included a 102mm Mak.  I can say that the packaging is top-notch.  The fit and finish of all of the components is very good.  The WiFi and associated iPhone app is FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC!!!  Best advancement in the industry in years.  It grabbed Lat/Long from the iPhone with no problem.  The app controls worked quite well, it is very easy to change slew speeds, and finding objects in the list is so much easier than using a hand controller.  The WiFi range was also perfectly acceptable outside.  I'll test going through walls in the near future.  With my limited testing I found the tracking, in sidereal, SOLAR! and lunar to be acceptable.  There was some drift in solar but it is way better than no tracking.  I hope to have a chance to test it with the new Revolution Imager R2; with the GTI's WiFi I might be able to sit inside during the cold Michigan winters and still get in some Big Sky Hunting.

I am pleased with the views (especially the moon, wow!) and the included EPs are acceptable at this price point.  The green dovetail has three indentations for the set screw, which is a nice touch.  So far I've had 10 minutes solar (with a Herschal wedge on my long 70mm Vixen refractor), 2 minutes last night to look at the moon (clouds rolled in), and a half hour this morning on stars.  I'll post a review once I get more familiar with everything but I can say that I am Very Happy so far.  At this price point (and even with overseas shipping to get it here for the holidays) I think this is a definite Must Buy for everyone except hard-core APers (and they might put out a software update that allows you to use a EQ wedge).  But again, at this price and with the ability to control it wirelessly why not buy it as a second mount for visual or travel? 

Also, someone on this thread asked about AP and the fact that the camera position is offset from the center of rotation.  I realized this morning that one can attach an L bracket to the GTI 'upside down and flipped' such that the L extends over the top of the GTI.  This would allow the camera to be positioned directly above the center of rotation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just got one of these, complete with the tripod.
Everybody says that the tripod is too wobly, mine was too. I have just tightened screws (4mm hex) between the legs and the top element, after that it is actually acceptable imho at least for my purpose - low to mid power visual with light OTA. 

Edited by MrOD

• 2 weeks later...