SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NEW Sky-Watcher AZ-GTi Wi-Fi Alt-Azimuth mount

1 minute ago, DRT said:

This is my only power bank - lots of power and the size of a half brick - https://www.firstlightoptics.com/batteries-powerpacks/tracer-12v-22ah-lithium-polymer-battery-pack.html

Smaller and cheaper options available for a mount of this size :wink:

You can get a 11000 mAH mobile phone power bank for £5 :icon_biggrin:

Alan

4 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

I would have liked a 5-6v supply so I could use mobile phone power banks and I would be using it with a DSLR and lens so the offset is a slight problem.

Alan

I get the power supply issue, but being a non imager what is the problem with the offset and DSLRs?

Just now, Stu said:

I get the power supply issue, but being a non imager what is the problem with the offset and DSLRs?

I was thinking about using it for normal photography (my camera is fully wi fi controllable) so the offset might be an issue for panoramas etc.

Alan

2 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

They can power the SA the EQ3 and EQ5 with standard motors and even my Canon with a diy adapter. 

Alan

Really? :eek: For how long?

{sorry, thread drift! :rolleyes2: }

Edited by DRT
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Alien 13 said:

My EQ3-2 will run for for weeks off the 11000 mAH one, the Canon about 4-6 hrs. 

Alan

How do you connect?? (I know the staradventurer uses usb and that is hugely convenient)

Thanks

Helen

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Helen said:

How do you connect?? (I know the staradventurer uses usb and that is hugely convenient)

Thanks

Helen

You have to use a std USB lead and cut one end off and solder a suitable connector to it. Think its a 5 mm x 2.1 mm or 2,5 mm connector, the red and black wires in the usb lead will be plus and minus.

Alan

Edited by Alien 13
  • Like 1

My initial experience of the tripod is that it compromises stability/rigidity for lightweight and cost (I remember someone saying that everyone wants a cheap, light, stable tripod, but you could have at most two out of those three!).  The pillar is rigid though.  But at least with a 3/8 fitting it is straightforward to upgrade to a better tripod!

Helen

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Helen said:

My initial experience of the tripod is that it compromises stability/rigidity for lightweight and cost (I remember someone saying that everyone wants a cheap, light, stable tripod, but you could have at most two out of those three!).  The pillar is rigid though.  But at least with a 3/8 fitting it is straightforward to upgrade to a better tripod!

Helen

Its an unfortunate result of the laws of Physics with tripods that you cant have all three, for me weight is the most important provided some of the stability can be recovered by going low, can the height be adjusted by any amount?

Alan

2 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

Its an unfortunate result of the laws of Physics with tripods that you cant have all three, for me weight is the most important provided some of the stability can be recovered by going low, can the height be adjusted by any amount?

Alan

Yes, indeed!

scotty1.jpg.c10018d55c85c7cab1459b33e25068d8.jpg

The legs have one extension, with a twist lock.

Helen

• Like 5

1 minute ago, DRT said:

So can I fit that pier and the mount to my Berlebach tripod in place of the EQ5 pier that sits on it today?

Not without an adapter (eg the Berlebach one).  The pier also has just a 3/8 fixing - so will fit on a photo tripod.

Helen

• Like 1

Thanks, Helen. 

If I buy one I'll try it as it comes before considering the upgrade. 

I have a Tele Vue Telepod tripod so it will be good to see how the SW compares to that. 

10 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

I couldn't find the app on android, whats it called?

Alan

It's called SynScan (by Pacif Telescope Corporation) on the Apple App Store and the icon is the black and white spiral galaxy SW logo.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DRT said:

It's called SynScan (by Pacif Telescope Corporation) on the Apple App Store and the icon is the black and white spiral galaxy SW logo.

Thanks very much for that, found it now :icon_biggrin:

Alan

• Like 1

Alan there's no reason not to expect longer exposures the No EQ DSO Challenge thread has proved what's possible and it's longer than 10-20 seconds is many cases and depending where in the sky you aim considerably longer. The unknown is how this new mount performs.

• Like 2

On 2017-7-28 at 21:50, Helen said:

Thanks

Helen

The first time I tried the Star Adventurer with a power pack to USB the socket disappeared into the works and when I tried releasing the cables the socket came out with it.  The soldering on the three connections was simply not strong enough.  Unfortunately I am not proficient enough to do any soldering and would not be sure I would be soldering to the correct bits of the board.  Batteries only from now on it seems, unless we have some one who knows about these things and could repair it.

Edited by oobydooby
wrote "Buts" instead of "Bits", not sure I would like to solder socket to buts!