Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NEW Sky-Watcher AZ-GTi Wi-Fi Alt-Azimuth mount

Following the two new Sky-Watcher Alt-Azimuth mounts released yesterday, Sky-Watcher have today released details of another new Alt-Azimuth mount! 

The Sky-Watcher AZ-GTi Wi-Fi Alt-Azimuth mount is not like the others. It features include a built-in WiFi module, enabling it to to be controlled wirelessly via your Smartphone or Tablet using Sky-Watcher's free SynScan App for iOS or Android.  The AZ-GTi creates it’s own Wi-Fi network so is not reliant on other WiFi networks. The mount and SynScan App together provide full computerised GO-TO. 

It also features Sky-Watcher’s Freedom-Find™ patented dual-encoder technology so your telescope can be moved manually in either axis without the mount losing its positional information - which is rather convenient :smile: 

Sky-Watcher say the mount is quiet in operation, has a payload capacity of up to 5kg and accepts telescopes via a regular 45mm dovetail bar. 

Stock is available in the UK and the price looks set to be £285 for mount and tripod (we will add it to our website Monday). 

Manufacturer's specification

Controller: Free SynScan App for iOS and Android mobile device or Synscan Hand Controller (available separately)
SynScan App Database: Total 10,000+ Objects. Deep Sky Objects: 10759, including Messier, NGC, IC, Caldwell Catalogues, Named DSOs, Named Stars: 305, Double Stars: 55, Solar system objects: 7 planets, Sun , Moon. (Unlimited objects when working with a 3rd party planetarium software).
SynScan App Alignment Method:  Brightest Star Alignment, North-Level Alignment
SynScan App's Other Features:  Tonight's Best Sky Tour, Point and Go with a mobile device, Identification of Celestial Objects, Remote control over Internet, User defined objects, Pointing Accuracy Enhancement (PAE)
Pointing Accuracy: Up to 10 arc-minute (RMS)
Resolution: 2073600 Counts/Rev., 0.625 arc-second
Resolution of Aux. R.A./Dec. Axis Encoders: 1068 Counts/Rev., approx. 20 arc-minutes
Tracking Technology: Freedom-Find™ Dual-Encoder 
Tracking Rates: Sidereal, Lunar, Solar, Alignment-Free Solar Tracking
Slewing Speeds: 0.5X, 1.0x, 8.0x, 16x, 32x, 64x, 128x, 400x, 800x
Tracking Mode: Dual Axis Tracking
Motor: DC Servo Motor, Gear Ratio 6480
Payload Capacity: 5kg
Saddle: Accepts 45mm Sky-Watcher/Vixen type dovetail
Interface: SynScan Hand Control Port, DSLR Shutter Release Port (optional cables available separately), Built-in Wi-Fi Module
Connectivity:  ASCOM platform for Windows PC, Mobile planetarium App for iOS and Android ( SkySafari Plus/Pro, more are coming).
Network Protocol: UDP, Port 11880
Tripod/Mount Fitting: 3/8" Screw Fitting
Tripod: Adjustable Aluminium with Accessory Tray
Height of Tripod/Mount (excl. OTA): 80.5cm - 152cm
Mount Head Weight: 1.3kg
Total Weight with Tripod: 3.9kg
Power Requirement: 8 AA Size Batteries (not supplied) or External Power Supply (DC 7.5~14V, 0.75A) Tip Positive.

skywatcher_az_gti_alt-az_mount_sgl.jpg

• Like 8

Apologies for not having more info. Details arrived only earlier today but we were stock-taking so have been unable to give it our full attention. 

We will assess it properly Monday :smile: 

HTH, 

Steve 

• Like 2

What I also like about Freedom Find is that the mount can be used if your battery goes flat in completely manual mode. This looks an interesting mount progression from the Virtuoso/Star Discovery mounts which have Freedom Find and GoTo via cabled handsets.

I like how the scope attaches to the outside of the L-shape rather than the inside of the L-shape as per previous AZ Goto's. The bonus being the scope/eyepiece/camera won't bottom out on the mount! (obviously at the slight expense of not keeping the scope over the centre of gravity, but it should be fine forthe light scopes it's designed for. 

Also like the sound of Freedom find combined with Wifi and optional good old controller. These could be very popular if the App works well, and the wifi is stable :) 

I'm quite excited by this, looks like it has been designed as an ultra quick setup, portable goto mount. No wires needed. I think one of these with Skysense and a 6" SCT or small frac could be the business. Sensible price too. 

• Like 3

Looks like one for taking in the caravan.  Nice.  The only downside I can see is the lack of a USB power option a very handy aspect of the Star Adventurer.

Edited by Owmuchonomy
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Alan White said:

One thing not mentioned that its success also depends upon is a stable tripod,
as yet we have not tried these new alloy ones from Skywatcher (await Johns feedback).

Wonder if is available without the tripod? It says it has a 3/8" tripod fitting. Having said that the built in pillar looks neatly done, similar to what I made for my photo tripod.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

Just downloaded the app it's in the Play store and it looks quite well thought out.

Works with SkySafari which is the main thing for me. Would be ideal with the Tak for travel.

• Like 9

Looking at a couple of different retailers; the bundled scopes seem to be the Skymax 102, 127, and the 130ps Newt (not sure how the ps differs from the p other than it looks like you can't collimate the primary).

So no refactor package like with the Pronto or AZ5 have? I know you can just use whatever sub 5kg scope you like, just seems weird having a frac bundle with the other new AZ's but not this one?

Is anyone else thinking the pier looks like a handy place to grab the mount by when carrying :) 

Edited by Lockie

This looks a really neat mount, i can see this tech making its way onto other mounts in time, but for me i will stick with the star discovery mount (unless i find a wad of cash )

3 hours ago, DRT said:

Does the iPhone App feed the mount GPS co-ordinates, date and time?

(yes, I am exceptionally lazy :grin: )

I just downloaded the App - the answer seems to be yes :grin: 

I want one, I want one, I want one :headbang:

Edited by DRT
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

This mount is almost perfect for me almost...

Alan

Come on then Alan, what's the almost about?

Seems great to me, nice to see Skywatcher coming up with some more innovative products.

1 minute ago, Alien 13 said:

This mount is almost perfect for me almost...

Alan

I get that - this mount, my OMC140, Lunt 50 Ha and TV Pronto plus a box of EP's gives me and Monty the dog a great set-up to take away in the car on holiday. There might even be room for Mrs T. !! :grin:

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Stu said:

Come on then Alan, what's the almost about?

Seems great to me, nice to see Skywatcher coming up with some more innovative products.

I would have liked a 5-6v supply so I could use mobile phone power banks and I would be using it with a DSLR and lens so the offset is a slight problem once you add in an L bracket.

Alan

Edited by Alien 13

4 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

I would have liked a 5-6v supply so I could use mobile phone power banks and I would be using it with a DSLR and lens so the offset is a slight problem.

Alan

This is my only power bank - lots of power and the size of a half brick - https://www.firstlightoptics.com/batteries-powerpacks/tracer-12v-22ah-lithium-polymer-battery-pack.html

Smaller and cheaper options available for a mount of this size :wink: