Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Suggestion for DSOs

N3ptune

Hello! Tonight is an important night, the forecast is nice with low humidity (: and almost no moon so it's DSO time. And I would like to gather a few suggestions of special objects to look at, maybe only 1 suggestion per user, but your favourite, so i can build a list of a few of these special objects, and look at them at a better spot then home, I am gonna drive my car a bit and drink Red Bull.

I know there is a website for targets, but I want to get suggestion from the users instead, what you think is special. Could be a bit challenging a bit too, I have 8 inches aperture limitations.

if you have a suggestion for me!

Thanks.

I'm going to break your rule of one object per user, since right now there is way more than one that needs a Honorable recommendation & mention... so here is the list I recommend taking into account your location.....

Omega Nebula, M17 AKA the Swan Nebula

Trifid Nebula, M20

The Lagoon Nebula, M8

The Pavo Globular Cluster

The Butterfly Nebula

The Eagle Nebula (if your seeing is in a very dark location)

The Helix Nebula (again if in a dark location)

M22 Globular Cluster

M6 Open Star Cluster

M4 & M80 Globular Clusters near Antares

The Saturn Nebula

The Wild Duck Cluster

The Butterfly Cluster

I think that by the time you bag these and spend a bit of time on each, you will get some AWESOME views and by the end of this list you'll find the sun will be coming up.

Good luck and take a Red Bull 4 pack...

Just be careful with the red Bulls.... once I was feeling tired and wanted to go to the mountains for a observing session about 60 kilometers away... so to keep my self alert I made my self a coffee but I used red bull instead of water... I was half way through setting up at the observing location in the mountains when I realized that I FORGOT MY CAR.. :-D

1 hour ago, MarsG76 said:

I'm going to break your rule of one object per user, since right now there is way more than one that needs a Honorable recommendation & mention... so here is the list I recommend taking into account your location.....

Omega Nebula, M17 AKA the Swan Nebula

Trifid Nebula, M20

The Lagoon Nebula, M8

The Pavo Globular Cluster

The Butterfly Nebula

The Eagle Nebula (if your seeing is in a very dark location)

The Helix Nebula (again if in a dark location)

M22 Globular Cluster

M6 Open Star Cluster

M4 & M80 Globular Clusters near Antares

The Saturn Nebula

The Wild Duck Cluster

The Butterfly Cluster

I think that by the time you bag these and spend a bit of time on each, you will get some AWESOME views and by the end of this list you'll find the sun will be coming up.

Good luck and take a Red Bull 4 pack...

Just be careful with the red Bulls.... once I was feeling tired and wanted to go to the mountains for a observing session about 60 kilometers away... so to keep my self alert I made my self a coffee but I used red bull instead of water... I was half way through setting up at the observing location in the mountains when I realized that I FORGOT MY CAR.. :-D

Wow that's an incredible list, this spot Sagitarius, Scutum, Aquila, Aquarius. If i can spend the whole night there, that's what I am going to do. IF because these constellations are pointing the most polluted direction, but they are SO interesting.

The things in purple I already saw but I want to see again, in green they are on the list, in yellow they are a bit low altitude a bit, in red i can't find in stellarium.

It's going to be milky way's marathon!

I'm surprised that M4 and M80 are too low from Canada, being close to Antares (Scorpius)... the Pavo Cluster is one that you just must see... look up its NGC number NGC 6752... it is a impressive globby.

Good luck.....

2 hours ago, N3ptune said:

IF because these constellations are pointing the most polluted direction, but they are SO interesting.

I have the same issue with light pollution in this area but has a great night viewing most of the objects on that list so don't be put off. There are plenty of options for other parts of the sky though :) If you have an OIII Filter then have a look at the Veil. I'm now finding the sky darker enough to get really good views of this. M31, Andromeda galaxy, is best in winter but I've still really enjoyed it in recent sessions. There's always the classics of M27 (Dumbell nebula) and M57 (Ring nebula). A final shout out for the double cluster which is a personal favourite. 

Clear skies and have a great night :D 

3 hours ago, MarsG76 said:

I'm surprised that M4 and M80 are too low from Canada, being close to Antares (Scorpius)... the Pavo Cluster is one that you just must see... look up its NGC number NGC 6752... it is a impressive globby.

Good luck.....

Hello they are available M4 and M80, tonight it's just their highest point in sky is about 20 degrees.

I have a great planning now:

PLAN A: I am going to follow your suggestions Mars 

Scutum: Eagle - M23, Wild duck, M26

Aquarius: Saturn neb, M2

Aquila: Altair region with small and hard to find planetary nebulea

Sagittarius: Trifid, lagoon M22, M25, Star cloud, Omega

Scorpius: M4 M80

Ophiuchus: Many many things to look at there bellow Sabik

PLAN B: (If pollution due south is too bad)

Cygnus and Cepheus : Veil, elephant's trunk nebula, NA neb, Cocoon nebula (challenging)

Dumbbel is an idea too, thanks for the suggestion little guy. I am going to use the NPB filter a lot tonight (: 

The Atlas is ready!

aXNl0Td.jpg?1

================

I am feeling a bit of anxiety (has usually..) before the trip.

34 minutes ago, N3ptune said:

Hello they are available M4 and M80, tonight it's just their highest point in sky is about 20 degrees.

Cygnus and Cepheus : Veil, elephant's trunk nebula, NA neb, Cocoon nebula (challenging)

Dumbbel is an idea too, thanks for the suggestion little guy. I am going to use the NPB filter a lot tonight (: 

The Atlas is ready!

aXNl0Td.jpg?1

================

Nice plan.... 

35 minutes ago, N3ptune said:

The Atlas is ready!

aXNl0Td.jpg?1

================

Hope you hav some amazing views... I'm expecting a report ;-)

Thanks for your support Littleguy80, at some point it should be fine it's true, I have a great great plan of total immersion into the cosmos. Now the gear is in the car, the temperature is perfect, not a cloud, the check list is verified, all i need is left is a small coffee for the road then I am off for a great little trip Maybe 125 kms total.

@MarsG76

Definitely if all goes well, there will be a report on the report section, hopefully with a sketch. (:

15 hours ago, N3ptune said:

Thanks for your support Littleguy80, at some point it should be fine it's true, I have a great great plan of total immersion into the cosmos. Now the gear is in the car, the temperature is perfect, not a cloud, the check list is verified, all i need is left is a small coffee for the road then I am off for a great little trip Maybe 125 kms total.

@MarsG76

Definitely if all goes well, there will be a report on the report section, hopefully with a sketch. (:

Did you make a coffee but use a red bull instead of water? You'll actually see colours..... over saturated vibrant colours ;-)

My observation was awesome, a total success!!!

I have a full log sheet here with at least 5 nebula sketches, quite a bit of data. It needs to be sort out and Ill do a report later. Right now I have to enjoy the beautiful day outside, top 2017 night and day so fare ((:

There were so many high points, it was incredible. When I saw the Veil at the Zenith, I had a tear coming out of each of my eyes. It was beautiful, 3 major parts were visible with many details.

(:

I have to come back here later.

20 minutes ago, N3ptune said:

I have a full log sheet here with at least 5 nebula sketches, quite a bit of data. It needs to be sort out and Ill do a report later. Right now I have to enjoy the beautiful day outside, top 2017 night and day so fare ((:

There were so many high points, it was incredible. When I saw the Veil at the Zenith, I had a tear coming out of each of my eyes. It was beautiful, 3 major parts were visible with many details.

(:

So pleased you had such a good night. Can't wait to read that report :icon_biggrin:

23 hours ago, MarsG76 said:

Did you make a coffee but use a red bull instead of water? You'll actually see colours..... over saturated vibrant colours ;-)

Ahh no I didn't try :p I wanted to keep a good health after all and drank only 1 Red bull out of 2 cans. And a small espresso prior departure.

23 hours ago, N3ptune said:

(:

Looking forward to the report and sketches.

Archived