sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Hello all,

I have been researching for the past two months what equipment I will need to buy to photograph the upcoming solar eclipse, I have everything under control except the goto mount.  Because I am new to this, forgive me if I have made any false assumptions or have any misunderstandings.

So after going back and forth with my short-term goals, long-term goals, and budget, I have decided I want an equatorial mount since I have read that alt-az mounts are not well-suited for 30~60 second exposures, due to image rotation.  Although the price is a little higher, I figure it is worth it since I want to be able to use the mount for non-eclipse photography in the future, like star clusters, planets, the moon, etc. .

So I have my eyes squarely set on the EXOS-2GT, for its capabilities and its price point -- I really can't go higher than this price at this time.

But I have struggled to answer some basic questions about this mount that I'm hoping you all may be able to tell me:

Can the mount be aligned during the day?  Can I use the sun for alignment?  Other clever ways to align during the day that don't involve aligning before sunrise?

Is the tripod interchangeble?  Is there any reason why I may not want to use a shorter tripod than the one supplied with the mount?  (this is purely for travel convinience, and reuse with other equipment)

Is there any other eq tracking mount within this price range that you think is better for my needs?  Is there any reason you would not recommend this mount for my needs?

And lastly, can it be controlled from a laptop? (this is not for the eclipse, but in general, if I can re-use the mount to do precisely panned video, or panning time lapse video, it would be a big plus)
(I'm assuming this mount does not have a shutter release port, is that correct?)
(on this note, I am aware of cheaper alt-az mounts that do have this capability, but as mentioned above, i would rather go with an eq)

Thank you so much, and do clue me in on anything else you think I should know.

Hello and welcome to SGL. You have not mentioned anything about which telescope you intend to use with the mount, which may dictate its suitability. The Bresser / Explore Scientific Exos 2GT is a clone of the Vixen Super Polaris and was originally a Meade LXD75. A thread on Cloudy Nights has mixed reviews of the mount, some good some not so. 

4 hours ago, Cornelius Varley said:

Hello and welcome to SGL. You have not mentioned anything about which telescope you intend to use with the mount, which may dictate its suitability. The Bresser / Explore Scientific Exos 2GT is a clone of the Vixen Super Polaris and was originally a Meade LXD75. A thread on Cloudy Nights has mixed reviews of the mount, some good some not so. 

Right, for now I plan to use an 800 mm f/8 lens attached to a DSLR camera.  Combined weight should be close to 5 pounds.

Before I began to consider the EXOS 2GT I was considering the Sky-Watcher AllView, which would work perfectly for the solar eclipse but is not equatorial.

I may be convinced to go with the AllView if the EXOS 2GT is majorly problematic, I would rather have a good alt-az mount than a bad eq mount.  My mind changes every few hours these days, which is why I've finally decided to come to the astro forums and seek some input from people who know, live and breathe this stuff.

Also, something I notice generally about reviews of expensive products: it is hard to tell if the reason why a product gets a poor review is that it is actually bad or is it just "bad" because the reviewer prefers models double the price?  In photography for instance, some lenses get negative reviews because the reviewer is comparing them to the $1000+ equivalent ... that does not make the $200 lens "bad" though.

Edited by henryhudson
typoe

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By StarPrincess
      Sun on March 20, 2021 with Astrodinsk <3
    • By chops
      I'm posting in the hope it helps anyone else considering a Daystar Scout SS60. The video's not quite representative of what one sees looking through the scope, but gives a general idea of field of view through a 24mm EP.  When observing, much more prominence detail and surface texture is visible to the eye and the colour feels less red than it appears in the vid.
      I'd have taken this video sooner if I'd realised that afocal video would work so well, so I'll try again next time the sun's available earlier in the day during better seeing. The video's taken by holding an iPhone against an Explore Scientific 24mm eyepiece and adjusting exposure (i.e. afocal video photography). Although I find a Plossl as easy (if not easier) to use as a wide EP for observing, it's simpler to align a smartphone with an eyepiece that has a wider field of view, for afocal video. Hence I used a 24mm ExSc (see below for detail). It seems a fairly quiet solar day, not long after the notoriously quiet 2020 and I believe is still close to the beginning of the sun's new 11 year cycle (hopefully it will become more exciting soon but not as exciting as having any Carrington Events pointing towards us).
      I spent some hours, from late morning, watching these prominences form, dissipate and reform. The prom on the Western limb was very tall and bright, looking like a large rectangular tower block, which gradually split, faded as the top looped over to the north, then the top looped back again to the south. At one point this loop appeared to join - forming the outline of the head of a man, whose figure, with arms out, was clear and rather funny. Wish I'd taken this video sooner (or had the ASI183 to hand). The prom quietened and reached its current state (3pm ish) as seen in the video.
      The long group of prominences to the South - 4 main and some smaller - were more dim than the prom on the Western limb initially, but they remained impressive, ranging from good to very small and appeared at one point to be as clear row of pine trees, especially the larger right hand prom, with spiky 'branches' and a distinctive triangular fir tree shape, which gradually brightened then faded to this view. The tip of the ‘sharks fin’ to the left of the group extended out to the east then receded.
      I'm afraid it's not easy to see the detail in such a simple video - it's slighly more visible to the naked eye. By the time I took this video it had gone 3pm, there was more haze and a lower sun and none of the prominences were particularly impressive.
      There were No sunspots easily visible, although a Plage appeared to be visible close to the Westerly limb. Little surface detail other than orange peel, despite tuning the scope (better with the SS60s dial to left of centre for this today). I still need to lots more time with the scope to get the best from it.
      I'm a Ha beginner having only observed in whitelight before and only having used this scope twice before, once in combination with a ZWO ASI 183MC astrophotography video camera. Medium seeing, 6/3/21 'third light' on the Daystar Scout SS60 Scope with fixed chromasphere quark built in - 930mm f15 60mm.
      Various Eye pieces used: Plossl 40mm, Meade Super Plossl 26mm, Explore Scientific 24mm and 11mm 82 and 68 degree EPs gave good clarity and contrast, but the seeing's not good enough for close viewing of proms.  ioptron motor, roughly pointed north was perfectly sufficiently good to keep the sun in view for at least 45 mins at a time. I'll edit this post to add a pic or two of the equipment setup in a moment.
      3 images attached are: Afocal Smartphone still image (contrast increased in smartphont), plus two shots of the setup.

• By Stargazer33
      A quick process of video taken of the Sun from Saturday (2021-02-27).
      C9.25; CGEM; ASI385MC; Baader Solar Film homemade white light filter; Baader Neodymium filter.

• By catman161
      Hi Everyone, 

So it seems that after my clear out of the "Big" scopes life circumstances are meaning it is less and less likely that I will be able to do any astro which is a shame indeed. 

I am therefore putting my little "Grab 'n' Go" setup up for sale 

This is an absolute little beauty of a telescope. Really excells on planets and lunar work and solar (appropriate filters must be utilised - never point a telescope at the sun unless you are an experienced solar astro buff!) 

I was very unimpressed with the flimsy tripod that came with the scope and managed to source a purpose built and absolutely solid portable pillar mount for it. Its is steel construct and is ingenious in that it allows levelling of the feet and also levelling at the plate too thanks to the utilisation of three springs and wing nuts to allow for easy adjustment. 

Not only is the pillar great for the levelling option it has but it also has removable legs to allow for easy transportation to dark sky sites. The legs simply slid into place and the steel cable is tensioned by hand through easy use of the inline bolt brackets. 

This is a whole package deal - perfect for anyone wanting to start astro or just have a great little portable setup. 

SO, whats included? Included in this sale are the following:

- Skywatcher Skymax 127 Maksutov OTA - mint condition, no marks of blemishes
      - Purpose built solid, tubular steel pillar levelling mount 
      - Baader Planetarium Hyperion 8-24mm clickstop Zoom Eyepiece 
      - Skywatcher 9x50 RACI Finderscope 
      - Greenwitch Astronomy original all weather telescope cover (you can't get these anymore!)
      - Skywatcher Synscan Al-Az mount and Hand Control 
      - 12 V power cable 
      - Original factory fitted straight through 8x30 finder scope and bracket/shoe
      - Instruction manual 
      £400

This has all been kept in my observatory under the cover throughout. It really is in excellent condition and cost me quite a bit to put together so I have priced it competitively. Please no offers. 

Is collection only and (of course) covid safe exchange. I prefer bank transfer as payment.

• By PlanetGazer
      Long storey short :
      the OTA slips dramtecly when vewing an object to 0 altitude.
      Details:
      So I bought the Skywatcher GoTo flextube 10 inch a year ago. It was nothing but great, until yesterday when I was just starting the session to level up the scope on the mount for alignment. I Went to get some equipment and when back noticed the scope has declined to a minus reading on the altitude! With no attachments on the OTA. 
      I re-leveled it to the horizon and it held itself, put on the nothing but stock attachments as usual. Switched on the GoTo and started aligning, when alignment is successful, I chose an object and notice the object is far off.  I check the battery voltage and it's 12.5 volts, which indicates it's not a battery issue.
      I turn it off to re-align again, this time when I press the up arrow to align to an object I notice the GoTo gears struggle to move the OTA upwards, but eventually the speed increase to normal and manage to points upwards to the object. I pick a second object which happens to be near the zenith and the GoTo goes out of control straight to zenith and carrying on above 90+ degrees on the altitude bearing. I try to stop the scope with the handset before the base of telescope hits the wood in the base, only to notice the handset is not showing light or responding. I turn the GoTo off.
      Start to align for the third time, this time aligns but still off target. I ignore and start viewing Jupiter which happens to be 40+ in altitude , after few minutes of viewing, the scope drops slowly to zero altitude with no hand or handset movement! Handset is still showing that the viewed object is still Jupiter!
      Note: I did notice weird sounds of the gears when trying to increase altitude. Not the common sound.
      Has anyone faced this issue and fixed it, should I return under guarantee? Is this a gear slippage? Or clutches not engaged? Your help will be much appreciated!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.