Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Also proud to be shortlisted!

Avdhoeven

The video is a bit one-sided in my opinion with only widefield astrophotography with landscapes. They completely forgot deepsky, lunar, solar and other forms of astrophotography in the video. 

But I'm very proud to be shortlisted with one of my deepsky images also and hope to attend the ceremony in September in London.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxqE4UrtY6s

This is my shortlisted image btw:

IC1318_gamma-cygni_august2016_final-v4.jpg

Well done Andre!! I am looking for a complete image list of those shortlisted for interest, but just can't find anything.... they seem to be heavily biased towards Landscape astro shots in their promotions that's for sure.

That's a great image, full of intricate detail.

13 hours ago, Avdhoeven said:

The video is a bit one-sided in my opinion with only widefield astrophotography with landscapes. They completely forgot deepsky, lunar, solar and other forms of astrophotography in the video.

I agree, but it may have something to do with the stated goals of the competition - "all about the public getting involved and getting engaged with the wider universe" according to the video. They seem to be looking primarily for images that the layperson could relate to, hence the proliferation of (largely excellent) landscape shots. In that context the smarties-platter Sirius makes a degree of sense; if you've seen Sirius scintillating then the image doesn't add anything to the experience, but for people who haven't it could be quite thought provoking if perhaps a little misleading. If it encourages people to look for Sirius then it's done a good job. The photographer deserves credit for the concept and inventive presentation, but for me it's not a true astronomical image - it doesn't improve on or complement the viewing experience.

They create a selection of the shortlisted images and share that with the press. The rest is only shared later in the book that comes out afterwards and via the site with the winning images. Unfortunately all the shortlisted images are not too be found online... 

Archived