SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Nexstar 6se/8se showdown

Hi all

Apologies in advance for going over something that has been discussed before im sure. I will be picking up an nexstar se 6 or 8 this weekend.

What is my best option????

I would say i have no particular area of astronomy in mind and would like to roam down all avenues.

Any advice would be great.

Thank you

Given the choice, go for the bigger aperture - better resolution, and 78% more light gathering capability.

The 8SE is a great telescope (unless you especially want widefield views) - the GoTo is easy to use and a great boon.  And it's manageable in two parts - tube and mount/tripod.  Fitting the tube takes one screw and a few seconds.

Doug.

The 6" will be a better match for the single arm SE mount, I've heard it mentioned that the 8" is pushing things a little on a single arm at 2000mm focal length, but maybe Doug can comment if there is any wobbles at the eyepiece with the 8SE?

I'd be tempted to move towards a duel arm CPC at 8" but that's a big step up in price unless there's a Celestron sale on.  

I've owned both 6" and 8" SCT's on EQ mounts, and they are both very good to be honest, the 6" cools faster and has a slightly wider field of view, but the 8" shows objects a bit more brightly and with more image scale. Either way you'll need to factor in a dew shield into the cost, preferably a heated one, as the corrector plates are dew magnets!  

They are both respectable goto scopes :) 

Oooh! don't forget to factor in a power tank for both the scope and dew control :) 

13 minutes ago, Lockie said:

The 6" will be a better match for the single arm SE mount, I've heard it mentioned that the 8" is pushing things a little on a single arm at 2000mm focal length, but maybe Doug can comment if there is any wobbles at the eyepiece with the 8SE?

I'd be tempted to move towards a duel arm CPC at 8" but that's a big step up in price unless there's a Celestron sale on.  

I've owned both 6" and 8" SCT's on EQ mounts, and they are both very good to be honest, the 6" cools faster and has a slightly wider field of view, but the 8" shows objects a bit more brightly and with more image scale. Either way you'll need to factor in a dew shield into the cost, preferably a heated one, as the corrector plates are dew magnets!  

They are both respectable goto scopes :) 

Oooh! don't forget to factor in a power tank for both the scope and dew control :) 

Chris - 

You get the usual brief jitter just after focusing, but I have never found this to be a problem!  And cooling doesn't take too long - I notice if I use it too soon that stars are not in sharp focus.  

I use a dew shield made from some camping mat - works fine.

Power tank, yes - I use a Halford's Phaze jump-start pack, which works a treat.

You're right about the FOV.  That is one advantage of the 6SE. The shorter focal length would improve my best TFOV from 1.34 degrees to 1.82 degrees - a Moon's worth of increase!

Doug.

One thing that I really liked about the 8SE that I had for a while was how portable the whole thing is :smiley:

With things like trees and surrounding houses blocking certain directions, being able to move a scope around the garden easily is important for me and for an 8" the 8SE is about as good as it gets in that department.

The tube assembly probably would fit an overhead locker (just !) but the mount and tripod would need to be in the hold I reckon.

I've assumed that your predective text has produced "overhead language" :smiley:

It is not whether it would fit in the luggage rack but whether it would fit in the test luggage sizing unit that airlines have at their check in desks plus all airlines give hand luggage compliance size and weight details on their websites. If it is a buying consideration then I'd be checking airline requirements.

Sooo... I have just picked up the 6se. Ive just put it together and noticed a small bubble level with a sticky base?? Does anyone know where this is suppose to be stuck. It doesnt look like there is anything specific?

Thanks

Archived