Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

5 sisters observatory

iapa

I originally was going to make a very tall small shed with a hinged back. You open back the door and fix it in place unbolt the front of the shed and fold it down on its back. So far I have ended up with a couple of waterproof covers and a bungee cord. There is also the thought that it might end up looking like an outside loo.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, iapa said:

I know that @ollypenrice has done a couple of “sentry” but types, for remote users I believe

he’s detailed something in that thread

I have two 'roll off sentry boxes' but they are not for remote. One houses a large 'lying down' 20 inch Dob and the other a 14 inch Meade, both for visual (not that that matters. They would be fine for imaging.)

59c01d07012f8_Recladshed.thumb.jpg.63d8fb5ee1483f813965878ca055b5d2.jpg

This is a recently re-clad sentry box with welded steel frame which I made about thirteen years ago.  It houses a not insignificant 14 inch Meade SCT, though it was originally built to cover a 10 inch Meade SCT.

Our remote sheds have fixed lower sides and then rolling rooves and upper sides. Their footprint is too small to allow sufficient room for visual use and all the piers are far too low. 

I really like the sentry box idea though. Singlin made a real beauty a while back in the observatories thread.

Olly

On 18/09/2017 at 20:36, ollypenrice said:

I have two 'roll off sentry boxes' but they are not for remote. One houses a large 'lying down' 20 inch Dob and the other a 14 inch Meade, both for visual (not that that matters. They would be fine for imaging.)

59c01d07012f8_Recladshed.thumb.jpg.63d8fb5ee1483f813965878ca055b5d2.jpg

This is a recently re-clad sentry box with welded steel frame which I made about thirteen years ago.  It houses a not insignificant 14 inch Meade SCT, though it was originally built to cover a 10 inch Meade SCT.

Our remote sheds have fixed lower sides and then rolling rooves and upper sides. Their footprint is too small to allow sufficient room for visual use and all the piers are far too low. 

I really like the sentry box idea though. Singlin made a real beauty a while back in the observatories thread.

Olly

<blush>

• 3 months later...

What is it standing on, didn't look very level, ROR my plastic shed has survived happily for a good few years, it needs a solid level concrete base to stand on and they do need extra strengthening to stand without the roof on.

There are several members using them on here with no problem.

Dave

2 hours ago, Beulah said:

Arrgh, those plastic sheds are pretty useless in storms and exposed areas of the garden! I had mine attached to posts set in concrete and weighted down with the scope, that did the job.

I’d not got ground posts sorted - wanted to get it build and turned the way I wanted it

design error

2 hours ago, Davey-T said:

What is it standing on, didn't look very level, ROR my plastic shed has survived happily for a good few years, it needs a solid level concrete base to stand on and they do need extra strengthening to stand without the roof on.

There are several members using them on here with no problem.

Dave

Level base - lens is quite wide angle; lots of curvature

i got this because I’ve seen a few people using them.

storm grew from nothing overnight, had expected to finish build today :)

now I end a new shed - this has split in too many places I think.

with get my engineer to look at it

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived