Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The August edition of the Society for the History of Astronomy's e-News is now available and accessible to all:

https://societyforthehistoryofastronomy.com/the-e-news/

Lots of good stuff in there as usual, though I am biased being the SHA's Librarian :)

The SHA is going to have a stand at the IAS in October and I'll be there selling books the library doesn't want to keep. Any boy there is a pile of books; I'm not sure how my poor little car is going to cope under the weight.

James

• 2 weeks later...

I recently joined the SHA. This was a natural follow-on from enjoying the historical biographies of notable astronomers to be found in the BAA Journal. The SHA provides ideal reading material for a cloudy night :hiding:, a pity at the moment I haven't got the time to really involve myself in the social side.

Regards,

A

Yes, it is fascinating to read about people of the past, and the equipment they cobbled together and the impressive results they achieved. Many of the notable amateurs from the past really did push forward the science community's understanding of the sky above us (and the earth beneath our feet). 

The SHA Bulletin will be out at the end of September and I am sure it will have plenty of interesting stuff in it again.

I will be at the SHA Library in Birmingham on the 15th August, you should pop along sometime and have a browse or borrow some books. The opening schedule for the library is on the website.

I hope you've also booked a place for the AGM in October also in Birmingham. Again information in e-News and on the website.

James

Hi James,

Yes, just getting the app form off for the conference today. What I meant was I can't really spare the time for lots of weekend stuff what with my other commitments. However the AGM is nice & local for a day out.

BR,

A

Archived