Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_terminator_challenge_winners.thumb.jpg.6becf44442bc7105be59da91b2bee295.jpg

FLO

NEW William Optics Zenithstar-61 APO

This might be a dumb question, but what else would I need to attach this thing to my eq3-2 mount?

Thank you.

I have the older ZS66SD and with mine I can either slide the "Foot" directly into the saddle on the mount instead of a Dovetail or I can attach a camera tripod Quick Release Plate onto the bottom of the foot, I suspect that its the same arrangement on the ZS61.

However, on my AZ mounts I found that it wouldn't balance because the tube is so short and I couldn't get far enough forward to counterbalance the diagonal and Baader Zoom that I use, so I need to use tube rings and a dovetail.

I haven't tried it on the EQ mount yet though.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I think the foot reverses so you can get the balance point near the camera.

I imagine I would need a vixen style dove plate though?

Yes the easiest way I have found with these short scopes is to bolt a long dovetail bar onto the bottom of the dovetail 'foot' of the telescope - the telescope can be slid back and forth to get the right balance point - however because the balance point is near the focussing knobs, the dovetail will not allow the draw tube to rotate (if that is needed). The alternative is to use rings of sufficient size which gets rid of this problem, but more expensive if you don't already have them.

• Thanks 1

On 23/09/2017 at 12:32, AdamT said:

Here is a flat and a light using the zs61 & flat61 with a2" LP filter on a full frame sensor.

DSC_7093.NEF

DSC_7040.NEF

What LP filter do you have? I need to add one to my setup. 

3 hours ago, agthomson said:

What LP filter do you have? I need to add one to my setup. 

I just use the Skywatcher 2" LP filter £28ish, works for me :) 

• Like 1

Anyone used this for visual yet? If the view is decent for the aperture, it would be the perfect gift for dad-in-law.

:happy11:

Hi,

Just received my shiny new ZS61 and the flattener.  I have no idea how to join them together.  Anyone got a manual or guide? cant find one with google

Dean

8 minutes ago, waroffice said:

Hi,

Just received my shiny new ZS61 and the flattener.  I have no idea how to join them together.  Anyone got a manual or guide? cant find one with google

Dean

You may have to unscrew the gold bit on the end then screw on the f/r

Dave

28 minutes ago, waroffice said:

Hi,

Dean

Congrats, lovely scope! Watch this video, the answer to your question is @ 5:30 ish, enjoy :)

Edited by Lockie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

So I finally got them together, I grab my camera and the T2 adaptor I have for it but the flattener doesn't fit.  The Threads are the same size and dont go inside each other.

I have a pentax camera and this ring https://www.365astronomy.com/T-Ring-T2-Lens-Adapter-Adjustment-Ring-for-PENTAX-dSLRs.html , do I just need this? https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/flo-m48-to-t2-adapter.html

T2 and Pentax screw are both M42, but Pentax is 1mm pitch and T2 is 0.7mm pitch. Don't force them together.

3 hours ago, waroffice said:

So I finally got them together, I grab my camera and the T2 adaptor I have for it but the flattener doesn't fit.  The Threads are the same size and dont go inside each other.

I have a pentax camera and this ring https://www.365astronomy.com/T-Ring-T2-Lens-Adapter-Adjustment-Ring-for-PENTAX-dSLRs.html , do I just need this? https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/flo-m48-to-t2-adapter.html

Sorry do you mean they're both male / female or different sizes ? as Neil said M42 and T are very similar and will start to screw together and jam.

Dave

As far as I can see from the pictures the F/R has an M48 male thread so if your camera T adapter has an female T thread you need an M48 female to T male adapter.

The one in your link looks right ?

Dave

I think I do need the adaptor in link.

It's really difficult to photograph or make a video to illustrate the thread sises

IMG_20180126_180232~2.jpg

6 hours ago, waroffice said:

I think I do need the adaptor in link.

It's really difficult to photograph or make a video to illustrate the thread sises

Yes I think you do :) WO supply one with the star 71 guess they can't justify the expense on the Z61

Dave

Edited by Davey-T

19 hours ago, waroffice said:

I'm pretty sure the guy in the video mentions this issue and what adaptor you need :) 

HELP!!!

im a complete newbie.

ive just bought the Z61 - flattener and M48 T Ring adaptor. All of this has gone together fine then I fit into a MC11 adaptor to fit my Sony A7iii to it. If I check all the dimensions they all tally but when I take a photo the centre stars are round but the edge stars very elongated.

what am I doing wrong please!!!!

Can you upload a pic to give us a better idea? I'd expect the corners to be a little distorted using a full frame camera with a scope like this. It's possible the spacing between the camera and flattener isn't quite right when using the MC11 adaptor.

13 minutes ago, CSS said:

HELP!!!

im a complete newbie.

ive just bought the Z61 - flattener and M48 T Ring adaptor. All of this has gone together fine then I fit into a MC11 adaptor to fit my Sony A7iii to it. If I check all the dimensions they all tally but when I take a photo the centre stars are round but the edge stars very elongated.

14 minutes ago, CSS said:

HELP!!!

im a complete newbie.

What sized sensor does the flattener support? Does it support the A7III  FF sensor?  

Here’s a photo.

all distances as far as I can see are pretty similar to the diaphragm from WO

2AF88666-3E73-4E64-999F-B8DD9200494A.jpeg

Just now, Lockie said:

What sized sensor does the flattener support? Does it support the A7III  FF sensor?  

A7iii is full frame and the flattener supports full frame