SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NEW William Optics Zenithstar-61 APO

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the older ZS66SD and with mine I can either slide the "Foot" directly into the saddle on the mount instead of a Dovetail or I can attach a camera tripod Quick Release Plate onto the bottom of the foot, I suspect that its the same arrangement on the ZS61.

However, on my AZ mounts I found that it wouldn't balance because the tube is so short and I couldn't get far enough forward to counterbalance the diagonal and Baader Zoom that I use, so I need to use tube rings and a dovetail.

I haven't tried it on the EQ mount yet though.

Yes the easiest way I have found with these short scopes is to bolt a long dovetail bar onto the bottom of the dovetail 'foot' of the telescope - the telescope can be slid back and forth to get the right balance point - however because the balance point is near the focussing knobs, the dovetail will not allow the draw tube to rotate (if that is needed). The alternative is to use rings of sufficient size which gets rid of this problem, but more expensive if you don't already have them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
8 minutes ago, waroffice said:

Hi,

Just received my shiny new ZS61 and the flattener.  I have no idea how to join them together.  Anyone got a manual or guide? cant find one with google

Dean

You may have to unscrew the gold bit on the end then screw on the f/r

Dave

28 minutes ago, waroffice said:

Hi,

Just received my shiny new ZS61 and the flattener.  I have no idea how to join them together.  Anyone got a manual or guide? cant find one with google

Dean

Congrats, lovely scope! Watch this video, the answer to your question is @ 5:30 ish, enjoy :)

So I finally got them together, I grab my camera and the T2 adaptor I have for it but the flattener doesn't fit.  The Threads are the same size and dont go inside each other.

I have a pentax camera and this ring https://www.365astronomy.com/T-Ring-T2-Lens-Adapter-Adjustment-Ring-for-PENTAX-dSLRs.html , do I just need this? https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/flo-m48-to-t2-adapter.html

3 hours ago, waroffice said:

So I finally got them together, I grab my camera and the T2 adaptor I have for it but the flattener doesn't fit.  The Threads are the same size and dont go inside each other.

I have a pentax camera and this ring https://www.365astronomy.com/T-Ring-T2-Lens-Adapter-Adjustment-Ring-for-PENTAX-dSLRs.html , do I just need this? https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/flo-m48-to-t2-adapter.html

Sorry do you mean they're both male / female or different sizes ? as Neil said M42 and T are very similar and will start to screw together and jam.

Dave

6 hours ago, waroffice said:

I think I do need the adaptor in link.

It's really difficult to photograph or make a video to illustrate the thread sises

Yes I think you do :) WO supply one with the star 71 guess they can't justify the expense on the Z61

Dave

19 hours ago, waroffice said:

I'm pretty sure the guy in the video mentions this issue and what adaptor you need :) 

• 11 months later...

HELP!!!

im a complete newbie.

ive just bought the Z61 - flattener and M48 T Ring adaptor. All of this has gone together fine then I fit into a MC11 adaptor to fit my Sony A7iii to it. If I check all the dimensions they all tally but when I take a photo the centre stars are round but the edge stars very elongated.

what am I doing wrong please!!!!

Can you upload a pic to give us a better idea? I'd expect the corners to be a little distorted using a full frame camera with a scope like this. It's possible the spacing between the camera and flattener isn't quite right when using the MC11 adaptor.

13 minutes ago, CSS said:

HELP!!!

im a complete newbie.

ive just bought the Z61 - flattener and M48 T Ring adaptor. All of this has gone together fine then I fit into a MC11 adaptor to fit my Sony A7iii to it. If I check all the dimensions they all tally but when I take a photo the centre stars are round but the edge stars very elongated.

14 minutes ago, CSS said:

HELP!!!

im a complete newbie.

What sized sensor does the flattener support? Does it support the A7III  FF sensor?  

Just now, Lockie said:

What sized sensor does the flattener support? Does it support the A7III  FF sensor?  

A7iii is full frame and the flattener supports full frame

Archived