SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A couple of nights out in South Devon - Sea Caves, Train Trails, M31 and ISS

With the dark and clear skies I have been able to get out twice in the last couple of days, it seems an age since I posted in here so I thought I would share some pictures...

Shoot I - This is a revisit to the arch and caves under the Langstone Rock which is located between Dawlish Warren and Dawlish in South Devon,

This was the shot I was trying to get,  I was really after a better view of the Galactic Core, but I was thwarted by clouds on the horizon and light pollution from Torquay in the distance.  The rock is a very red sandstone

Small-Dawlish-Sea-Cave-and-Milky-Way---JohnBaker-JFBX7731.thumb.jpg.68b26ea3c907ad8c0c3db8e00ce2f196.jpg

Moving outside the arch, I then found that there was a far nicer image to be had looking towards the North, the lights from the security lights in Dawlish Warren and Exeter provided a nice level of light to show the arch - images shot on my 1Dx and Tamron 15-30, I did like the view of M31 which was clear in the sky

Small---Dawlish-Sea-Cave-plus-Milky-Way-and-Andromeda-Galaxy-M31---JohnBaker-JFBX7768.thumb.jpg.4e26a49dd9ceeaf87557882839f457d8.jpg

A final shot, this is a comination of 2 x 30 second images or the ISS passing through the scene complete with a couple of other satellites passing through the sky - I was rather chuffed when this image was used the The Times on the 25 July.

Small-Dawlish-Sea-Arch-Milky-Way-ISS-John-Baker.thumb.jpg.a0f45ff5b3eb06799023b498ce64a3a6.jpg

Shoot 2 - home town of Teignmouth, South Devon. I have a couple of presentation to give to camera clubs in the Devon area and I was keen to see what astro  I could do in my home town. While there is a lot of light pollution in the town, there is a nice walk along the South Devon Coast path and railway line towards Holcombe and Dawlish which I felt could possibly work, between the two is a location known as Sprey Point and this was my target location.

Looking to the South East there was a great view along the coast, as I was about to shoot I heard the sound of a train approaching so I decided to add that  into the shot. This is a small two carriage unit passing along the line. A combination of 2 x 30" shots, f2.8 at ISO 4,000 - I needed teh 2 x shots to get the full train journey before it entered the Parson Tunnel.

Sprey-Point-Teignmouth---Dawlish-Railway-Walk-looking-towards-Smugglers-Lane---Train-Trails--Milky-Way-no-Meteor---John-Baker-small.thumb.jpg.3fe7a7d2d409276147e24a44e5b3626b.jpg

Take II - this is an intercity main line traing going from Penzance to London, it was great to get a meteor passing M31

Sprey-Point-Teignmouth---Dawlish-Railway-Walk-looking-towards-Smugglers-Lane---Train-Trails---Meteor---Milky-Way---John-Baker-small.thumb.jpg.c98efbe328903f8366026e57d884108f.jpg

I was keen to try to get the ISS passing through the scene, so this is a combination of 8 x 30" shots, so 4 minutes of the 6:30 pass...  This shows the rock stacks known locally as "The Parson and Clerk"

The-Parson-and-Clerk---ISS---Milky-Way---Sprey-Point---John-Baker-small.thumb.jpg.4e4f0f3af31310b2639021e0a1af3e16.jpg

and finally a selfie, this is a large sign to show rail passengers they are about to enter Teignmouth. I used a small flash on 1/125 power on rear curtain sync to put some light into the sign

Sprey-Point---John-Baker---Selfie-small.thumb.jpg.20cfaa3fc46d781ca0c810ca31d964a2.jpg

24 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

I very much like the capture of the trains passing. A selection I'd be extremely happy with.

I don't think I have seen the combination of train and astro before, so I was rather chuffed with how well they came out. While we get regular steam engines coming through, they are never going to be in the dark - now that would be a shot :)

A fine set of images, lovely to see Teignmouth again. I stayed nearby a couple of years back. No astro gear allowed, I did manage a few unsuccessful widefield Perseieds though  :icon_biggrin:

In the selfie image, it looks like maybe a couple NOSS satellites to left? 

28 minutes ago, Pete Presland said:

A fine set of images, lovely to see Teignmouth again. I stayed nearby a couple of years back. No astro gear allowed, I did manage a few unsuccessful widefield Perseieds though  :icon_biggrin:

In the selfie image, it looks like maybe a couple NOSS satellites to left? 

I am still learning about the satelites, I have had these double before, many thanks for the clarification.  I had wanted to go  further afield, but did not fancy a long drive so staying at home turned out to be a good idea.    I had left all my tracker behind in the car as I had not realised quite how good it would be. I will definately be looking to have another go when the MW is around to the South East and when Orion is back in the sky.

On 8/4/2017 at 22:48, StargeezerTim said:

Excellent photos. I'm coming to Devon in Sept so can hopefully do some photography myself. Your images are inspirational.

It has a lot of potential, from the dark sky locations on Exmoor through to some of the ancient monuments on Dartmoor - fingers crossed you have clear conditions

Archived