Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep28_banner.thumb.jpg.b94278254f44dd38f3f7ee896fe45525.jpg

Is it a big no no or is there somewhere where you could send your telescope or filters off to be done?

What makes you think they will do it any different to how you would do it?

Terrible to say but if you work around optical components the "normal" is breathe on it, clean with a suitable cloth/material, keep fingers off the glass surface or you have to do it again.

Glass is actually a fairly tough material, been in churches for centuries, and you scrape a rubber blade over the one at the front of your car and still place your life in its hands when driving down the road at 60 in heavy rain.

I use the Baader Optical Fluid applied with their micro fibe cloth on my eyepieces, filters and scope objectives. I only do it when it's really needed (not often) but this system works very well.

I did have an objective lens cleaned professionally once by a skilled person who lived close to me so that I could deliver and pick up the optics. The cost of that operation was reasonable (around £30 I seem to recall) but if you have to send the optics in the post the risks and price increase. I don't believe that optics being posted can be covered by insurance ?

• Like 1

I treat mine the same as camera lenses, use a rocket blower to shift any small particles then same as John use Baader optical fluid with lens tissues. The fluid goes on the tissue never straight onto the optics and starting in the centre light strokes outwards to the edge. Clean only when necessary. 

I do about the same as JG777, but I use cotton balls

cotton-balls.thumb.png.68f53afd725a79dfe6f36a61fb9f6c6d.png

• Like 2

I've just finished cleaning my lenses. Same as everyone else, I used optical fluid and lens tissues. I did find out though that it's best to be spraring with the amount of fluid used on the tissue!

I was wondering because of the dust bunnies more than anything and even though the camera and filters are new the telescope itself has been through a bit, i have used the blower on it might leave well alone