Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

QHY Polemaster HELP

p14b

I've never understood that theory, as every time i pack up my gear i have to slacken off both Azimuth adjusters, and take out the main bolt holding the mount down, before removing the mount, so there is no way in the world its going to be Aligned up next time you install the mount and tighten it in place.

You may get close enough for visual but no way its going to perfectly drift without doing the procedure again. in a Observatory with the mount 100% in place always maybe! but not after i pack it away.

Hope that makes sense! and remember i'm new to all this! but they are my thoughts.

Pb

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Pompey Monkey said:

I took my Polemaster to La Palma a couple of months back. Polaris was about 1 degree above the mountainous horizon at my villa. PA with the Polemaster was no problem.

Thanks Paul      

Below is a made up picture of my view through my mounts polar scope, showing my roof line as i remember it, if you rotate the Pic 45deg clockwise so the roof line is horizontal and true polaris point at the 10.30 position this was my last view.

I know i have less then a deg but what do you think ?.  

Thx Paul

597a128ef37ca_polarisret.JPG.90d66f9dd210b9d38e22f9fb51523717.JPG

Much that the ASPA is good on the avx etc don't think it can match the accuracy of the polemaster  or sharpcap...

Polemaster uses 5 other stars as they rotate around Polaris..so if some are above and can't be rotated at least 60 degrees in 2 steps then it could work.. but might be worth giving sharpcap a go first

36 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

Much that the ASPA is good on the avx etc don't think it can match the accuracy of the polemaster  or sharpcap...

Polemaster uses 5 other stars as they rotate around Polaris..so if some are above and can't be rotated at least 60 degrees in 2 steps then it could work.. but might be worth giving sharpcap a go first

Yes, SharpCap with a longer focal length imaging/guiding OTA (narrower FOV) will be better. PoleMaster will probably work 50% of the time, trouble is that 50% of the time may be during the daytime!

1 hour ago, newbie alert said:

55 minutes ago, StuartJPP said:

Yes, SharpCap with a longer focal length imaging/guiding OTA (narrower FOV) will be better. PoleMaster will probably work 50% of the time, trouble is that 50% of the time may be during the daytime!

Thx for the advise, just looked at a 45mins video of how to use Sharpcap Polar align, its defo one to try out as i have all the gear to do this setup without any added costs.

Thx Paul

On 7/27/2017 at 17:29, p14b said:

Thanks Paul      

Below is a made up picture of my view through my mounts polar scope, showing my roof line as i remember it, if you rotate the Pic 45deg clockwise so the roof line is horizontal and true polaris point at the 10.30 position this was my last view.

I know i have less then a deg but what do you think ?.  

Thx Paul

597a128ef37ca_polarisret.JPG.90d66f9dd210b9d38e22f9fb51523717.JPG

That could be problematic- Polaris needs to be in the fov of the polemaster for it to work. Have you considered converting you house to a bungalow? ;)

2 hours ago, Pompey Monkey said:

That could be problematic- Polaris needs to be in the fov of the polemaster for it to work. Have you considered converting you house to a bungalow? ;)

Polaris is in the FOV, in the circle as marked, about 1 deg up above the roof line.

The diagram is not 100% spot on but it shows my real view from the Axis of my mount, i can always see Polaris all year round! but not much below.

I've give up on the pole master anyhow, QHY support is total rubbish and has put me further off this idea, and there are many other ways to get good polar alignment as been said on here, Sharpcap looks to be the same method but through my scope. so its the one i will try next.

Yes i thought about lowering my roof but its my bedroom underneath :) 

Thx Paul  

Archived