SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Getting ready to observe!

Galen Gilmore

12 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

Nice telescope to pop-out one's eyes over I'm sure!

Your UK-bought Sky-Watcher 130pds on-tour I see! :D

Have a great time under the dark-skies.

Enjoy!

Dave

I think the scope was happier to get out to a dark sky than me! Imagine the scopes excitement first time out of light pollution. :D

1 hour ago, Floater said:

Be lucky!

(Although I suppose that should now be, hope you were lucky!)

Lucky I was not... Yes it was a dark sky, but the crowd of 200+ non astronomy people was a bit disappointing. Only me and one other person had a scope, it kind of felt like everybody else was judging us for having telescopes. With everybody around it felt like a planetarium show. Oh and this one family behind us kept farting thoughout the night, I don't know why all I know is it was extremely weird.

Then when it was time to start to image, I could not get the Fuji to do anything over a 30 second exposure. I spent about half an hour trying to diagnose the problem before I caved in. I was able to take 70x30 second exposures of the lagoon nebula. (Pictures to come) 

16 minutes ago, Floater said:

Och, that's a shame.

Next time get yourself - and maybe a fellow enthusiast - into the dark alone. Not that enthusiastic about other people at the best of time!

Hmm, recalling a Lunar eclipse in the late 90s, and a skywatch at White Horse Hill; it got a little too much coverage on the local radio, couldn't believe how many people were up there with zero interest in anything in the sky - I kid you not at one point someone turned up dressed as Father Christmas...

38 minutes ago, bejay1957 said:

Hmm, recalling a Lunar eclipse in the late 90s, and a skywatch at White Horse Hill; it got a little too much coverage on the local radio, couldn't believe how many people were up there with zero interest in anything in the sky - I kid you not at one point someone turned up dressed as Father Christmas...

That's so funny!

59 minutes ago, Floater said:

Och, that's a shame.

Next time get yourself - and maybe a fellow enthusiast - into the dark alone. Not that enthusiastic about other people at the best of time!

It wasn't all bad, the skies were dark enough that it fueled my hunger for a dark sky. 

We had the night mostly to ourselves at midnight though. 

Archived