Narrowband

sgpro puzzle

brrttpaul

So I am now all set up on a pier mount in an obsy, the only thing is with EQMOD if I park to "home" I cant close the roof so I have made a new slot named it "roof closed".  My usual routine is to unpark from roof closed then park it at "home" then unpark and go from there usually to the star Lyra, trouble is its always off slightly? when i take a frame and focus shot the star is always to the far left of my screen so I take repeated shots while centering the star, from there I usually do another two more centreing them as I go along. I am just curious why its always to the left all the time even though I dont move the scope off the pier. The 2nd puzzle is I captured some data the other night but couldnt get the blue channel as the clouds rolled in so I have looked at the plate solving, do I use one of the images that I already got and blind solve it or do I go to the target first then use an old image ( I think I,m getting confused at the "slew here and centre here" I,m hoping to finnish it off tonight as theres a nice clear sky.

Cheers

Paul

On your second issue..  I dont use my own images to plate solve!  I goto Astrobin, find an image of the target i want to capture and use that as the target for plate solving.   I know that the scope will then be in the same location and the target centered the same as it was on the previous imaging session.

So, here's what i do.   In SGP, i open the target window and name it accordingly.   Paste in the URL and check it to make sure that it can read the data - It will say success if its good.   At this point if you click on Slew here.. It will move the scope to the area of the sky with the data from the image.    When you select center here, thats when the plate solving will start.   If you're all setup, SGP will take an image using your camera, (i use 10s at 2x2 binning) If everything is setup correctly, it should solve within a couple of attempts.   The real key to plate solving is making sure you have SGP setup with all the correct parameters for your imaging camera.

Thx very much for the reply I am in the middle of it now, no idea what I done whether right or wrong but basically I loaded the image from the other night and done slew here then centre here and pretty much done it even though it said failed 10 px, but looking at the 2 images flicking back and forth there wernt much in it

You can set the tolerance for the number of pixels to determine if the solve has worked - 10 is quite tight!

As to your first issue...

The accuracy of the goto depends on a large number of variables - polar alignment accuracy, positional data accuracy, balance of the mount, etc... So, even if you are a little bit out on your PA, it translates to a larger error in the sky. Same with your location coordinates. Remember also, if you do not build an alignment model in EQASCOM, it will only ever be able to use the standard calculated position. 

Spend a bit time slewing to different stars, plate solving and SYNCing in EQMOD, and then save those points. You should find the goto more accurate then.

I am usually a few pixels off when I do my first slew - a quick plate solve and I'm good to go... I use Pole Master to do my PA, and have GPS'd my location to within an inch of its life!! :D

Archived