Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Yes, a 30 second exposure with a kit lens at 18mm, f3.5 and ISO 800 or 1,600 will show up the Milky Way. Here's a couple of example images, 30 seconds at ISO 800 and using a tracking mount 12 minutes at f5.0 (6x2 minutes probably). If you're interested, I have a few tips here for getting started with a kit lens.

10 minutes ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

Yes, a 30 second exposure with a kit lens at 18mm, f3.5 and ISO 800 or 1,600 will show up the Milky Way. Here's a couple of example images, 30 seconds at ISO 800 and using a tracking mount 12 minutes at f5.0 (6x2 minutes probably). If you're interested, I have a few tips here for getting started with a kit lens.

I like them!

What tracker you used?

57 minutes ago, serbiadarksky said:

I like them!

What tracker you used?

Thanks. The above was taken with a second-hand EQ3-2 with battery powered RA motor. It works very well with my camera lenses up to about 135mm focal length. The problem with my 200mm lens is weight rather than magnification, I did try a lighter 250mm lens once and that was OK. Its weakest link is probably flex in the lightweight tripod, some people do get decent results with a small telescope, especially after working on or replacing the tripod. A sturdier mount would preferable for telescopic imaging though, especially if a second guidescope is used in order to obtain longer exposures.

I use the star adventurer which I have seen you have shown some interest in. It performs very well, even with my 50mm lens I can easily get 2min subs with no star trailing. If you get a good polar alignment you should be able to get maybe 5min subs with just a kit-lens at 18mm.

5 minutes ago, Victor Boesen said:

I use the star adventurer which I have seen you have shown some interest in. It performs very well, even with my 50mm lens I can easily get 2min subs with no star trailing. If you get a good polar alignment you should be able to get maybe 5min subs with just a kit-lens at 18mm.

I think that it can even make up to 10+ minutes of tracking w/o trailing :) but maybe im wrong

Just now, Victor Boesen said:

The exact same setup as I have bought. Works like a charm!

Will it work withouth the equatorial wedge? If yes than it can save me like 60euros and I can buy a pretty good tripod for that money which can handle the Star Adventurer in my opinion becouse I saw that they are selling the tripod at the star adventure setup part (all parts the counter weight,shuter cable, l bracket, mount,etc...)

And whats the trick if I dont buy the equatorial wedge?

I can't recommend a specific tripod, but a lot of people in here use the velbon dv-7000, but they use it without the pan and tilt head. I found that on my velbon tripod, the pan and tilt head is the weak spot on the tripod. The only thing I can give as advice, is to get a tripod that can carry up to 7-10kg. Then you should be good.

6 minutes ago, Victor Boesen said:

I can't recommend a specific tripod, but a lot of people in here use the velbon dv-7000, but they use it without the pan and tilt head. I found that on my velbon tripod, the pan and tilt head is the weak spot on the tripod. The only thing I can give as advice, is to get a tripod that can carry up to 7-10kg. Then you should be good.

Yeah but they are all expensive, my budget for tripod is max 80e :(

Archived