SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New to stargazing

kevinbrooks12

Hi all, I'm still new to stargazing, and I'm really enjoying it so far. I live on Vancouver Island in British Columbia, Canada.  I spend as many nights in the back yard as I can. I bought a Nexstar 4se last November, and just last week I purchased a Skywatcher 102mm f5; which I haven't used yet. 

I'm really excited to be part of this group and have a chance to talk with you guys. :)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where on the Island? There are a couple of astro groups around there one in Victoria and one in Nanaimo, and I think there is or was one sort of halfway between Victoria and Nanimo - sort of drive North and they met somewhere about 1/3 of the trip and up a road on the left. Cannot recall the name of the arera.

The Victoria people used to have Sunday morning gatherings at a coffee shop somewhere down Cook St towards Dallas.  Is it the Malahat up towards Duncan on the Vic-Nan road ?? "Gold" something also comes to mind.

If you are in Victoria and if you find the Victoria group I would like to know what happened with the Saanich Obs, they did at one time meet there some years ago but that seems to have fell apart so not sure what happened. Have not had the chance or reason to get over for a few years now.  I used to get the seaplane from Vancouver to Victoria and often flew over the Observatory. At that time it was open much more to the public and I had a good day there.

There a Star Party at the location North of Victoria, maybe check that out. Might also be a party over where Olympic View Golf course is, half recall mention of one but again some years back.

Thanks all for the welcoming. 

Ronin, I live up in Comox, just a little ways north of Nanaimo. I would imagine that Victoria and Nanaimo have some sort of astro group, but I have never met with any of them. There is a guy up here in Comox who is into stargazing, and is trying to keep and old group still going. I've been in touch with him and will spending time with him.

Where did you live on the island, and where do you live now?

Good luck in your new way of life Kevin.
SGL will certainly be a big help to you in the learning process, as there is virtually nothing
that these guys don't know. You can post any queries you may have, and  they will be responded to
double quick. 
Once you have immersed yourself in the stars, they too will become your friends, and they won't ever let you 
down. The weather might throw a spanner in the works, but that happens to all of us. Quite a lot in the UK unfortunately.
I hope your night skies are dark, it does make a difference.
Best Wishes.

Thanks you all, I feel the love here already. 

Where I live the skies aren't that dark, there's a bit of street lights and whatnot. But I do have a spot only a 15 minute drive away that I have labeled my sweet spot. I will be spending a lot of time there. 

Welcome Kev-from a relative beginner myself I can tell you that the best thing you can do when starting out is to join SGL!! not only is the knowledge on this forum astronomical (sorry!) but more importantly everyone on here is super friendly and more than happy to help no matter how big or small the question is! just ask away! I promise you that you will not get laughed at or any of you're questions regarded as 'dumb'!

Archived