Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_through_the-_eyepiece.thumb.jpg.cb85f690376dcb3053c747827de6bf9e.jpg

serbiadarksky

Nikon for long exposure

Hi,

I want to ask can the Nikon D3300 do long exposures maybe attached to a SkyWatcher Star Adventurer and make like 100sec exposure? :)

On 23/07/2017 at 14:12, serbiadarksky said:

Hi,

I want to ask can the Nikon D3300 do long exposures maybe attached to a SkyWatcher Star Adventurer and make like 100sec exposure? :)

I use a Nikon D5300 , much the same camera i think just mine has a fold out LCD , try some Mobile phone apps like the other people say, i bought a intervalometer and in truth never use it, as the are some good phone apps like 

Camera-Remote  DSLR-Remote, personally i use DSLR-Remote as it has a red interface, one problem you may find is you may need to find a good position to place your Phone so the signal is not lost. i attach my phone to my Lens/scope with a elastic band and use the 2 sec delay. 

Only yesterday a member posted their milky way image taken with a Nikon D3300 a star adventurer and a 50mm lens, exposures were 120 seconds, you might like to find that post.

1 hour ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

Yes, long exposures are possible. If software control such as Backyard EOS doesn't work then a cheap intervalometer (just the first of many links I found on eBay) will do the trick. Just set the exposure length to 'bulb' on the camera.

Thanks for the advice but I choosed a Canon 600D :)

49 minutes ago, serbiadarksky said:

Thanks for the advice but I choosed a Canon 600D :)

The 600D is a good choice. There are also intervalometers available for Canon cameras (some work with either, and come with a set of adaptors).

22 minutes ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

The 600D is a good choice. There are also intervalometers available for Canon cameras (some work with either, and come with a set of adaptors).

It is I hope so :)

280e with kit lens :)