Narrowband

Mayak observed, the bright new light in the sky - not !

Observation report:

Seeing conditions.

Moderate light pollution, but polar star, Cassiopeia, number of other stars clearly visible. Full moon. Could see north-west-south and north-east-south. View obstructed directly overhead (flat, balconies east and west). 

Sattelite app. 

Rubbish. By the time satellite was supposed to appear on northern horizon, app showed it somewhere 2000 km south :). No idea of precise(ish) trajectory hence I had to dash between balconies. 

Sattelite hunting results. 

Woke up my daughter and scared wife. Luckily both are in bed now. No Mayak though. Nothing brighter than moon or Vega or anything. Or the angry eyes of my much better half :D The vague direction was north to south almost above me, so seeing it should be a given - I can see odd satellite from my location, ISS - very clearly. Seems unlikely I could miss this https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=safari&hl=en-gb&biw=320&bih=460&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=6ZWLWfvaCIbewAKPs4eoBw&q=mayak+satellite&oq=mayak+s&gs_l=mobile-gws-img.1.0.41j0i10k1l4.3502.3756.0.4905.2.2.0.0.0.0.148.284.0j2.2.0....0...1.1.64.mobile-gws-img..0.2.283...0._jcWsFokqe0#imgrc=0boqUZszS_AqKM: (courtesy of Russia Today).

It should be above the horizon in what app says 1 hour and a bit. It doesn't say much more (even the globe is awkwardly sideways on it), but it does say Rocket bank gives you 4% cashback when Mayak is above, apply now ?. 

If Mayak is as good as the app, they most likely forgot to pack it in the rocket :D 

Seriously, after so much ado - silence. It all looks like a big poopoo. 

I might just do more research for a while and wake my family up again. 

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Erla said:

I might just do more research for a while and wake my family up again. 

Noooooo ! dont wake them up !! It is all a failure : it didnt unfurl its shiny umbrella, cant be seen, miserable wee thing, all a big nothing !

But thanks for the confirmation :thumbsup::D

5 minutes ago, SilverAstro said:

Noooooo ! dont wake them up !! It is all a failure : it didnt unfurl its shiny umbrella, cant be seen, miserable wee thing, all a big nothing !

But thanks for the confirmation :thumbsup::D

I was just looking for an excuse to sit outside and enjoy very warm night and skies to be honest :D It was perfectly clear night, now in like 5 minutes it got completely covered by clouds... I think I'll just take my Sherlock Holmes hat off and go to sleep. Or I could get Rocketbank card... A Russian bank startup - what could go wrong :D

5 minutes ago, Erla said:

I was just looking for an excuse to sit outside and enjoy very warm night and skies to be honest :D 

. A Russian bank startup - what could go wrong :D

Yes that is ok, we can grant permission* for that, just not for waking them others up ( for which there might be an extra cost **)

What indeed ! I will forward my account details for * and **

:laughing4:

Archived