Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tak FC-100 - a few questions :)

On 22/07/2017 at 20:58, Piero said:

.......can we get better for a life-time scope?   

Piero asked this in the opening post.

It's a question that has been on my mind lately - is there a better 4" refractor than the Tak FC 100's around at the current time ?

After owning mine a bit over a year it's hard to see how the visual peformance could be improved on at this aperture but I guess there might be something out there, somewhere :icon_scratch:

This 4" "shootout" put the TAK 102 TSA and TMB 102 fractionally ahead:

http://www.doctordreviews.com/4inch-shootout.html

Here is another roundup of the top 4 inchers:

http://scopeviews.co.uk/FourInchBG2017.htm

Edited by John
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, John said:

It's a question that has been on my mind lately - is there a better 4" refractor than the Tak FC 100's around at the current time ?

After owning mine a bit over a year it's hard to see how the visual peformance could be improved on at this aperture but I guess there might be something out there, somewhere :icon_scratch:

There are probably lots of military optics out there that are better but at ten or fifty times the price..

Alan

1 hour ago, Highburymark said:

I do use a counterweight most of the time, but it still tracks pretty smoothly without. The counterweight also provides peace of mind that it won't tip over if the scope is accidentally nudged - always a danger with such a light tripod.

That was exactly my thought. The counterweight should guarantee more equilibrium for the whole system, which is (I'd say) necessary when using light tripods.

1 hour ago, John said:

This 4" "shootout" put the TAK 102 TSA and TMB 102 fractionally ahead:

http://www.doctordreviews.com/4inch-shootout.html

Here is another roundup of the top 4 inchers:

http://scopeviews.co.uk/FourInchBG2017.htm

1 hour ago, Alien 13 said:

There are probably lots of military optics out there that are better but at ten or fifty times the price..

Alan

Actually, my question was related to the focuser, not the optics! :D :D 

I was interested in knowing whether/when replacing the standard focuser with a FT has advantages. After reading the several replies in this thread, I think installing a FT focuser has some advantages, but not really for me. :) 

can we get better in terms of optics for a life-time scope?

My eyepieces already show me things in a way that I like. What my TV60 misses (not its fault, it wasn't invented for this!) is focal length, aperture, and a better focuser. 100mm makes a great grab 'n' go, but still powerful for studying bright objects. I never felt I wanted a better 60mm than my TV60, and I really doubt I will want a better 100mm than this Tak (assuming that it works properly of course!).

My main aim is to have the possibility to study targets at the eyepiece. This 100mm, whether Tak, TV, TMB, SW, will not do everything. So, it will not be "perfect". What matters to me is that it will allow me to study the brightest planets and the very brightest DSOs, without too much cooling time and transport weight. At f7.4 it will show less lateral chromatic aberration than my TV60, while still showing 2deg fov with the 24 Pan, and more than 3deg with the ES30. It's all what I need from a light but serious small telescope.  

• Like 3

Sorry that I misread your original post Piero.

I have decided to stay with the stock Tak focuser on my scope. Perhaps dual speed makes less difference at F/9 than it does at F/7.4 though ?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, John said:

Sorry that I misread your original post Piero.

I have decided to stay with the stock Tak focuser on my scope. Perhaps dual speed makes less difference at F/9 than it does at F/7.4 though ?

No problem John. I think it is more likely that my English wasn't sufficiently clear! :) 

Dual speed can be added if needed. Tak sells the Tak MEF-3 microfocuser. I've read many positive comments about it. It seems it can be easily adjusted if needed. :) 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Piero said:

No problem John. I think it is more likely that my English wasn't sufficiently clear! :) 

Dual speed can be added if needed. Tak sells the Tak MEF-3 microfocuser. I've read many positive comments about it. It seems it can be easily adjusted if needed. :) 

Yes, I've read lots about the MEF-3 as well. Another option (for the 2.5" focuser) is the Feathertouch micro pinion upgrade:

https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/starlight-instruments-feathertouch-micro-pinion-takahashi-sky90.html

Edited by John
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Piero said:

Both of them look very well engineered! :) 

Do you use the microfocuser with your Vixen 102? (F6.5 right?)

Yes, I have a Moonlite dual speed on the Vixen, the ED120 and my 12" dob. I have a Feathertouch dual speed on the TMB / LZOS 130 F/9.2 (comes as standard on that one). For the Tak I'm quite attracted to keeping it as "stock" as possible and, so far, the stock single speed focuser has been good. I found that I needed to adjust the tension on the Tak focuser a little to get it "just right" but that was fairly straightforward.

Edited by John
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, John said:

For the Tak I'm quite attracted to keeping it as "stock" as possible and, so far, the stock single speed focuser has been good. I found that I needed to adjust the tension on the Tak focuser a little to get it "just right" but that was fairly straightforward.

I agree, the stock single speed works perfectly well.  The tension does need occasional adjustment especially for heavier accessories, which is an easy tightening or loosening by hand.  When we talk 'stock' here, we mean very high quality, precision & very well baffled !

Its a beautiful OTA, in that its minimal and also both aesthetically & ergonomically outstanding.  Like John I wanted to keep things as 'stock' as possible but have made a few changes recently.  The visual back is now a 2" Baader ClickLock M64,  a Baader ClickLock 47mm Extension slotted onto that achieved the extra back-focus needed for my 3 EP's to work.  Finally I am waiting on a Baader M48 to replace the brass compression ring clamp on the EP side of the diagonal.  I found through experimenting with different EP's, diagonals (prisms & mirrors), it could get complicated.   For one:  The travel distances of the draw tube to gain focus with different EP's could be extreme, and in some cases out of range!  The 3 EP's i have now all reach focus within mm's of one another, making it simple in use.  The ClickLock system makes it easy to twist and shout (so to speak).  The thing is once you start with this stuff everything else has to step up to the mark too, so if there is a small part of the setup that is the weakest link I feel a compulsion to try and iron it out until the whole works seamlessly.   That said, I would add an MEF-3 as the last thing, it is the stronger part of the set up in my opinion.   

• Like 2

Fitting the MEF-3 to my DC was very easy and greatly improved the ease of maintaining critical focus. Focus adjustment can be made with the lightest touch of a finger tip, which pays dividends when observing the planet's in less than perfect conditions. I'm not sure I'd like to return to the standard focuser on the F7.4.

• Like 5

In my 8" dob I have a 2-speed moonlight. I do like the microfocuser, but I could also easily live without (still nice to have it of course! :) ). 

Have to try the regular one at f7.4 before deciding. :) 

• Like 2

I will get it from Ian King. 

As I understand the `package` version also includes clamshell, finder, finder bracket. I am not interested in the finder and finder bracket, so if this is the only difference, I was thinking to get the `basic` version and add the clamshell separately. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Piero said:

I will get it from Ian King. 

As I understand the `package` version also includes clamshell, finder, finder bracket. I am not interested in the finder and finder bracket, so if this is the only difference, I was thinking to get the `basic` version and add the clamshell separately. 

Ok, that makes sense. These are superb scopes - I'm sure you will love using it :thumbright:

• Like 1

Thanks everybody for the very useful and detailed replies! :) 

It would have been rather difficult to make the best choice without your feedback! :) 

Edited by Piero
  • Like 2

After searching for a suitable dovetail in the last two evenings and a interesting conversation about this subject with Mike ( @mikeDnight - Thanks again! ), I found this nice dovetail matching exactly the 95mm Tak Cradle (TKA21420) that I bought: 

VIXEN_DOVETAIL_TAK_FSQ.png 

https://www.astromarket.org/takahashi-5/tube-rings---dovetails-5/vixen-style-dovetail-for-tak-fsq85---fsq106---fs60 

There are 5x35mm spaces, plus 12.5mm at each borders for a total length of 200mm.

I also like the fact that this bar doesn't have an `elongated hole`.  :wink2:

Now it's time to deal with the next step... mount head! :icon_biggrin:

Edited by Piero
  • Like 2

On 27/07/2017 at 22:12, Piero said:

Tak FC-100DF (tube) + Tak clamshell 95mm ordered!!   :headbang:

Ian King was really helpful. :) 

Congrats Piero,

Of course your incoming beauty explains all the cloud we are experiencing here in the East ? Look forward to reading your first light report.

Chris

• Like 1