Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Tak FC-100 - a few questions :)

53 minutes ago, Piero said:

I don't disagree with you (how could I ?! ), but just want to add that a lot depends on sky conditions. My Tak 100 here in Cambridge roughly reveals the same amount of nebula detail as my 8" dobson in Venice Area (Italy). Of course, the dob bests the Tak on E and F trapezium quite easily. :) 

Well yes, smaller scope under darker skies will sometimes be just as good as the bigger one under more light pollution.

Moon and LP yesterday and not so great seeing...just got a hint of E and did not get F at all. Under steady skies at 20.0 sqm I managed both easily in 8in. 

Northern Italy is one big LP soup, right up there with the Benelux. Odd hobby, this one, nights are longer when it is less comfortable to observe, earning enough to splash on equipment usually means living under light pollution, etc etc.:icon_scratch: 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 25585 said:

What Moonlite flange fits the FC range?

The OTAs have a M95x1 male thread. If you take the DC, then you can remove just the focuser, with or without the extension tube, and use an adapter with a male M77.5X1 thread. If you go the Starlight Intruments route, you can use:

A20-304 for DC, DF, and DL

A20-302 for DC

A30-1903-85 for DC, DF, and DL

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/26/2018 at 16:36, BGazing said:

Pulled a trigger on FC 100 DF. Can't wait for it to come!

Very nice choice, absolutely stunning OTA.  Every time I use mine it sends a flurry of happiness through my eyeball and into my central nervous system.  Its money well invested, you will be sure to love the views.    I never tire of the FC-100, its cool down is usually 5-10 mins and I am known to grab a 20 min viewing session with it just because its possible with that scope.  The best one is the one you use the most, and FC-100 are exactly those scopes.  Beautiful views. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, 25585 said:

How are your uses of the 2 going to differ?

That I don't really know :-) They are quite redundant.

I wanted to have the DL first and then changed my mind to get the DC. Now at the second production run I could not resist and ordered a DL. In the long run, I want to build a binoscope with two DCs. And then I have the DL as a single.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, marcus_z said:

That I don't really know :-) They are quite redundant.

I wanted to have the DL first and then changed my mind to get the DC. Now at the second production run I could not resist and ordered a DL. In the long run, I want to build a binoscope with two DCs. And then I have the DL as a single.

I very much like your style Marcus. One can never have too many Taks!  :happy7:

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/11/2017 at 09:16, John said:

Welcome from me as well ! :icon_biggrin:

Like Piero, I don't use a moon filter with my Tak FC-100 DL. For nebulae I use either the Lumicon O-III or the Omega DM NBP filters but most often I go "filter free" for nighttime viewing.

For the Sun I use a Lunt 1.25" Herschel Wedge which works excellently:

taksolar01.JPG

taksolar02.JPG

Hi John

Have ordered up a FC 100DL and looking at attaching it to my SkyTee 2 using the Tak clamshell and an ADM style dual saddle adaptor, similar to your setup. 

Did you attach a Farpoint Dovetail Plate or equivalent to the clamshell instead of a dove tail bar?  

Thanks Jock

1 hour ago, jock1958 said:

Hi John

Have ordered up a FC 100DL and looking at attaching it to my SkyTee 2 using the Tak clamshell and an ADM style dual saddle adaptor, similar to your setup. 

Did you attach a Farpoint Dovetail Plate or equivalent to the clamshell instead of a dove tail bar?  

Thanks Jock

I simply use an Altair dovetail bar bolted to the clamshell.

tmbtak01.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, GavStar said:

Interesting kerrylewis so you prefer the Tak clamp to the parallax tube rings?

Hello Gavin. Yes I do. I find it quick to use and it holds the scope firmly. I still have the tube rings as an option but using the clamp at the moment. 

‘Kerry 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1