Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tak FC-100 - a few questions :)

31 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

For an opening post asking a few questions about a 4" Tak, this thread certainly has "legs". Perhaps time for a Tak users section?     :icon_biggrin:

A reason why I like a thread like this is that it does not just focus on a specific component, but presents a story of how a complete equipment has been built up over time through very precious contributions by members. Although clearly not at the same level, it reminds me of Mike's ( @faulksy ) great story about the construction of his dobson:

Hopefully, this thread will continue providing users with useful information in the near future.  :) 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

For an opening post asking a few questions about a 4" Tak, this thread certainly has "legs". Perhaps time for a Tak users section?     :icon_biggrin:

Didn't there used to be one? Maybe too elitist, but then Tak ownership seems fairly commonplace here. Its other makes, excluding SW, that seem rarer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 25585 said:

Didn't there used to be one? Maybe too elitist, but then Tak ownership seems fairly commonplace here. Its other makes, excluding SW, that seem rarer.

I am happy that I am in the far more select and elitist Skywatcher Ed Club

Those Taks are just so common now. They will be giving them out in Cornflakes  packets soon ?.

Edited by Timebandit
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, 25585 said:

Its partly because the Tak clamps (2 for my DL) are so sturdy, have larger footprint and are heavier, that I decided on Losmandy D. Vixen width might have put too much strain on a narrower bar and bolts leading to mishaps ?

Bit of a :hippy2:colour combination, white tube, white mount, pale green clamps and Primaluce clamp + bar. Have to post a photo.... ?

You certainly are a belt and braces man aren’t you? ;) Two Tak clamps and a losmandy clamp seems like overkill for what is a lightweight scope. Somehow it seems a shame to loose the grab and go nature.

I did choose to go with rings rather than the clamp as they give a little more length to the grip whilst being light still.

We each use what we feel comfortable with though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Timebandit said:

Yes . Those Taks are just so common now. They will be giving them out in Cornflakes  packets soon ?.

Sire, methinks he doth protest too much! ;);) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, BGazing said:

Not sure if this counts as first ligtht, 99% moon through haze...beggars are not choosers, but then again Tak owners do not qualify as beggars...

Finder not needed when the Moon is out :icon_biggrin:

Nice one! Great setup mate!

30 minutes ago, BGazing said:

photo_2018-03-30_20-04-30.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

To keep it all safely locked away somewhere Peter? ;) 

2 minutes ago, Piero said:

Nice one! Great setup mate!

Berlebach is in the car trunk...this is just for the balcony.

As you can see, environment is not as conducive as is English pastoral setting.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BGazing said:

Berlebach is in the car trunk...this is just for the balcony.

As you can see, environment is not as conducive as is English pastoral setting.

Which berlebach do you have?

Excellent tripods btw!

2 minutes ago, Piero said:

Which berlebach do you have?

Excellent tripods btw!

Got UNI 18 for AYO, and I have Evolution tripod and mount as alternative when I need to share and people are not that great at hand tracking...or when Mars needs it. This tripod is Induro carbon fiber, bought it to pair with Borg 71 and DSV-M mount. It can handle AYO and Tak but is definitely the weakest link here. 

Nice thing about Ayo is that it has Vixen GP mounting which unscrews to reveal 3/8 mounting for photo tripods. Awesome.

Brass finish was chosen just because. :)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BGazing said:

Got UNI 18 for AYO, and I have Evolution tripod and mount as alternative when I need to share and people are not that great at hand tracking...or when Mars needs it. This tripod is Induro carbon fiber, bought it to pair with Borg 71 and DSV-M mount. It can handle AYO and Tak but is definitely the weakest link here. 

Nice thing about Ayo is that it has Vixen GP mounting which unscrews to reveal 3/8 mounting for photo tripods. Awesome.

Brass finish was chosen just because. :)

:thumbsup:

Yes, the double choice coming with the AYO2 is useful. I also mount mine via 3/8" connection. It works like a charm!

20180119_211918.thumb.jpg.494cd6bf4dd2f3ed74777c1683b3d78c.jpg

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Stu said:

Sire, methinks he doth protest too much! ;);) 

You may be right Stu.

But when Skywatcher is launching a 150mm Ed scope (a dream scope for many) . Then at around I understand £1700 mark this just seems such good value compared to the 100mm Taks.  But it comes down to optics also, so look forward to some reviews to see if the Sw 150 ed is the best bang for buck Frac on the market?

Edited by Timebandit

3 minutes ago, Timebandit said:

You may be right Stu.

But when Skywatcher is launching a 150mm Ed scope (a dream scope for many) . Then at around I understand £1700 mark this just seems such good value compared to the 100mm Taks.  But it comes down to optics also, so look forward to some reviews to see if the Sw 150 ed is the best bang for buck Frac on the market?

I don’t think you can begin to compare them really. I too am very tempted by the 150ED if it performs well, but would not trade the Tak for anything.

• Like 2

Best bang for the buck is in the eye of the beholder.

150mm refractor is a dream scope for permanent mounting in a suburban home for the Moon and the planets.

It ain't portable for sure. But I'd love to have it in my collection. :)

Edited by BGazing
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, BGazing said:

150mm refractor is a dream scope for permanent mounting in a suburban home for the Moon and the planets.

I agree, would be fab on an AZEQ6, lovely for tight doubles too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Timebandit said:

Those Taks are just so common now. They will be giving them out in Cornflakes  packets soon ?.

Of course SW Esprit owners are the toffs of that lot. While Equinox owners are the top doublet dudes & dudettes.

???

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stu said:

You certainly are a belt and braces man aren’t you? ;) Two Tak clamps and a losmandy clamp seems like overkill for what is a lightweight scope. Somehow it seems a shame to loose the grab and go nature.

I did choose to go with rings rather than the clamp as they give a little more length to the grip whilst being light still.

We each use what we feel comfortable with though.

Clamps are heavier than rings, sure, but I only needed one. DL Taks are heavier and longer than DF or DC so GnG is less a given there. But the Primaluce bar is only aluminium.

What is heavy is my Skytee 2 mount on top of pillar on top of tripod. About 60 lbs.

10 hours ago, BGazing said:

Best bang for the buck is in the eye of the beholder.

It ain't portable for sure. But I'd love to have it in my collection. :)

I use a 160mm refractor as a portable scope. It can be set up and taken down in around 10mins. Not as grab and go as the 100mm frac but still pretty good.

Edited by GavStar
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, GavStar said:

I use a 160mm refractor as a portable scope. It can be set up and taken down in around 10mins. Not as grab and go as the 100mm frac but still pretty good.

i salute your spine and your back. alas, i am a lanky crooked guy who has to go light.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BGazing said:

i salute your spine and your back. alas, i am a lanky crooked guy who has to go light.

What has surprised me is that even though they are the same weight (about 12kgs) I find my C11 much more awkward to mount than the 160.