SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Tak FC-100 - a few questions :)

Well the FC100 DL has finally arrived (60th birthday pressie) and and have blown the family budget in the process ? 

No bones about it, this is an engineering masterpiece!! even down to the box within a box packaging.

Decided to bolt it straight onto my Skytee 2 mount using the Tak clamp, thanks again John / Kerry for your advice but went for the cheapo option for just now. 

Only managed 20 mins last night before clouds came over but was blown away by the pin spot views of the Trapezium.

Next thing on the list is a new diagonal, Baader Prism T2, Williams Optics or the Tak?, decisions, decisions and  a more researching to do ?

21F7270E-CA82-4F9B-B7EB-25C7E1D0C77E.jpeg

EB91B17C-D02D-4A06-A45E-3594AC427AEA.jpeg

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, jock1958 said:

Well the FC100 DL has finally arrived (60th birthday pressie) and and have blown the family budget in the process ? 

No bones about it, this is an engineering masterpiece!! even down to the box within a box packaging.

Decided to bolt it straight onto my Skytee 2 mount using the Tak clamp, thanks again John / Kerry for your advice but went for the cheapo option for just now. 

Only managed 20 mins last night before clouds came over but was blown away by the pin spot views of the Trapezium.

Next thing on the list is a new diagonal, Baader Prism T2, Williams Optics or the Tak?, decisions, decisions and  a more researching to do ?

Lovely scope, fully deserving of a Baader Zeiss T2 Prism I think. It’s only money ;) 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, jock1958 said:

Thanks Stu and Piero might have to forgo the next holiday to afford those diagonals plus all the adaptors etc etc lol!! 

if you intend to only use 1.25" eyepieces, you could also consider the 1.25" Tak prism diagonal. The Baader is better built though.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Piero said:

if you intend to only use 1.25" eyepieces, you could also consider the 1.25" Tak prism diagonal. The Baader is better built though.

Yeh all my eyepieces are 1.25” and have no immediate plans to buy any 2” eyepieces, but you never know!

With some good reviews I was leaning more towards the Baader with helical focuser as mentioned on this thread by Paul.

When I last looked RVO has it up for £95, more in my budget

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jock1958 said:

Yeh all my eyepieces are 1.25” and have no immediate plans to buy any 2” eyepieces, but you never know!

With some good reviews I was leaning more towards the Baader with helical focuser as mentioned on this thread by Paul.

When I last looked RVO has it up for £95, more in my budget

The Baader helical focuser on the Baader 1.25" prism is a great way to get micro-focus capability at a fraction of the cost of a Tak micro-focuser. The only drawback arrises if you later choose to use a binoviewer, as the viewer would rotate with the focuser. The Baader prism is excellent!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

The Baader helical focuser on the Baader 1.25" prism is a great way to get micro-focus capability at a fraction of the cost of a Tak micro-focuser. The only drawback arrises if you later choose to use a binoviewer, as the viewer would rotate with the focuser. The Baader prism is excellent!

Thanks Mike, sounds like it’s going to be the Baader for me 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Stu said:

Lovely scope, fully deserving of a Baader Zeiss T2 Prism I think. It’s only money ;) 

When only the best will do. Micro focusing is not quite so important on a F9 telescope. This diagonal is in my experience so far, literally brilliant.

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p613_Baader---Astro-Physics-MaxBright-2--Zenitspiegel---PMDMAX.html

Edited by 25585

1 hour ago, 25585 said:

When only the best will do. Micro focusing is not quite so important on a F9 telescope. This diagonal is in my experience so far, literally brilliant.

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p613_Baader---Astro-Physics-MaxBright-2--Zenitspiegel---PMDMAX.html

Wasn’t thinking of anything to do with micro focussing, the Zeiss Prism has an excellent reputation. There are certain benefits to internal reflection rather than exposed mirror surface. The AP is also excellent of course, but the T2 is very good value, plus nice an compact physically and in terms of optical path length. Great for binoviewing.

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p609_Baader---ZEISS-90--diagonal-prism---T2-thread-on-both-sides.html

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stu said:

Wasn’t thinking of anything to do with micro focussing, the Zeiss Prism has an excellent reputation. There are certain benefits to internal reflection rather than exposed mirror surface. The AP is also excellent of course, but the T2 is very good value, plus nice an compact physically and in terms of optical path length. Great for binoviewing.

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p609_Baader---ZEISS-90--diagonal-prism---T2-thread-on-both-sides.html

Is it a quartz prism?

If this is it, then appropriate connectors are additional cost. Around another £60 maybe? Still cheaper than the AP I admit. 

No 2 inch to 1.25 inch adaptor? Screw thread attachment only is very 80s/90s. ? remembering the old M36.4mm Tak & Vixen eps hassle. 

2 hours ago, 25585 said:

Is it a quartz prism?

If this is it, then appropriate connectors are additional cost. Around another £60 maybe? Still cheaper than the AP I admit. 

No 2 inch to 1.25 inch adaptor? Screw thread attachment only is very 80s/90s. ? remembering the old M36.4mm Tak & Vixen eps hassle. 

Not quartz I don’t think but very accurately figured and performs as well as or better than anything out there, particularly at longer focal lengths.

T2 fittings are hardly an 80s/90s throwback, it makes them very flexible, you just add the components you want eg 1.25” or 2” barrel plus 1.25” or 2” clicklock or whatever on the eyepiece side, or a T2 Quickchanger for connection to Binoviewers or other accessories.

You may find this interesting...

https://www.cloudynights.com/articles/cat/articles/mirror-vs-dielectric-vs-prism-diagonal-comparison-r2877

• Like 2

I use the Baader T2 (not Zeiss) 1.25" prism set with helical micro focuser. I love it. The Tak prism is nice but doesn't have the same solidity, nor the  micro focusing..

Mike, for binoviewing the  Baader prism does have a locking screw which would prevent the bv from rotating (though you would lose the micro focusing feature ☺).

For mounting, the clamshell for me??..

Dave

IMG_20170614_204107336_HDR-1372x772.jpg

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

I use the Baader T2 (not Zeiss) 1.25" prism set with helical micro focuser. I love it. The Tak prism is nice but doesn't have the same solidity, nor the  micro focusing..

Mike, for binoviewing the  Baader prism does have a locking screw which would prevent the bv from rotating (though you would lose the micro focusing feature ☺).

For mounting, the clamshell for me??..

Dave

IMG_20170614_204107336_HDR-1372x772.jpg

Lovely equipment, Dave!   :headbang:

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, happy-kat said:

There's the WO 1.25 erect image diagonal and under the price above and has a helical focuser built in, there's a recent positive member's review on it.

Link to review

It was a very tough call and I know the Baader 1.25 was more expensive but eventually settled for it as I love the quality of their kit which includes my BCO's.     

• Like 2

23 hours ago, jock1958 said:

It was a very tough call and I know the Baader 1.25 was more expensive but eventually settled for it as I love the quality of their kit which includes my BCO's.     

I bought the WO diagonal to compare to the Baader. I only used it once, so in fairness I'm not qualified to comment in depth on its performance.

It looks pretty well made to me. The helical focus feature is nice, a little stiff perhaps, but it was new so might well free up with use. The one time I did compare briefly with the Baader I felt the Baader was a bit sharper and definitely had more contrast.

The Baader costs around £40 more than the WO..I think that the Baader is worth the extra, for the better build and Optics, but the WO represents decent value at £59 plus shipping.

I sold mine quicker than I planned, to help fund a new Morpheus 17.5mm, so watch out for a comparison of the M17.5 with my LVW22 before long☺.

Dave

Edited by F15Rules
Typo
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, F15Rules said:

I bought the WO diagonal to compare to the Baader. I only used it once, so in fairness I'm not qualified to comment in depth on its performance.

It looks pretty well made to me. The helical focus feature us nice, a little stiff perhaps, but it was new so might well free up with use. The one time I did compare briefly with the Baader I felt the Baader was a but sharper and definitely had more contrast.

The Baader costs around £40 more than the WO..I think that the Baader is worth the extra, for the better build and Optics, but the WO represents decent value at £59 plus shipping.

I sold mine quicker than I planned, to help fund a new Morpheus 17.5mm, so watch out for a comparison of the M17.5 with my LVW22 before long☺.

Dave

Baader arrived this morning but due to the rubbish weather down here haven’t been able to try it out properly apart from daytime views of distant trees / buildings etc.

It’s beautifully made and the images are (so far) crystal clear, the helical focuser works really well and and is very smooth in operation.

As been mentioned previously on this thread you have to “step up” with the quality of the equipment you buy for the Tak to get the most out of what is a truly fantastic scope.

I agree with you Dave I think £40 is worth the extra, just looking forward to some decent weather now ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jock1958 said:

Baader arrived this morning but due to the rubbish weather down here haven’t been able to try it out properly apart from daytime views of distant trees / buildings etc.

It’s beautifully made and the images are (so far) crystal clear, the helical focuser works really well and and is very smooth in operation.

As been mentioned previously on this thread you have to “step up” with the quality of the equipment you buy for the Tak to get the most out of what is a truly fantastic scope.

I agree with you Dave I think £40 is worth the extra, just looking forward to some decent weather now ?

What parts did you buy for your Baader diagonal? Presumably 2 inch?

9 hours ago, 25585 said:

What parts did you buy for your Baader diagonal? Presumably 2 inch?

Diagonal came with 1.25 nose piece and 1.25 focusing eyepiece clamp. All my EP's are 1.25 and scope is working as it should, the FC100 DL came with the stock 2" (73mm) extension tube and 1.25 eyepiece adaptor.  Do you think I'm missing something? 

https://www.365astronomy.com/Baader-Prism-Diagonal-T-2-90-degree-32mm-Set.html

11 minutes ago, jock1958 said:

Diagonal came with 1.25 nose piece and 1.25 focusing eyepiece clamp. All my EP's are 1.25 and scope is working as it should, the FC100 DL came with the stock 2" (73mm) extension tube and 1.25 eyepiece adaptor.  Do you think I'm missing something? 

https://www.365astronomy.com/Baader-Prism-Diagonal-T-2-90-degree-32mm-Set.html

You're not missing anything Jock..I bought the same set, it's great value.

The prism has 32mm clear aperture so shouldn't vignette any 1.25 eps.

You can use 2" nosepiece/T2 as well (have done so before), and the prism build is certainly up to the weight of 2" eps - but vignetting is then likely (Although not actually too bad I found).

A great bit of kit?☺.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1