SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Platesolve2 command line

han59

After digging trough some code, I found the command line option of platesolve2 plate solver. Maybe useful for some (script) programmers:

Command line:
PlateSolve2.exe (Right ascension in radians),(Declination in radians),(x dimension in radians),(y dimension in radians),(Number of regions to search),(fits filename),(wait time at the end)

De wait time is optional. The 6 of 7  parameters should be separated by a comma. The values should have a decimal point not a comma. Example:  platesolve2.exe 4.516,0.75,0.0296,0.02268,999,1.fit,0
The plate center result [rad]  RA,DEC is reported in the first line of a text file with extension .APM

Han

Nice one.

I figured out the command line a while ago by writing a simple piece of software that prints out all the command line parameters passed to it. Then renamed the new application to "PlateSolve2.exe". Although it didn't tell me what the parameters meant, calling it multiple times with various settings in the host application APT allowed me to figure out what was going on. The main reason I did this was to figure out why APT wouldn't solve images from my Canon 6D and it turned out that there was a bug in APT that used an incorrect pixel size.

Here was the output of the software:

Parameter 00 = C:\PlateSove2\PlateSolve2.exe
Parameter 01 = 5.667884024,1.003389787,0.072005301,0.048003537,99999,C:\APT_Images\Camera_1\TemporaryStorage\ImageToSolve.jpg,2

Nice of you to list your findings, will add the data to my files.

A detection software named Platesolve2 is a elegant solution. I found the parameters in a visual basic script published some time ago.

I started today building a front-end application which will call Platesolve2 and  write the solution in the FITS header using the .APM file. Most likely the name will be HNS_FV.   If renamed to Platesolve2.exe it will do it all automatically.

Han

• 5 months later...
On 22/7/2017 at 14:37, han59 said:

Command line:
PlateSolve2.exe (Right ascension in radians),(Declination in radians),(x dimension in radians),(y dimension in radians),(Number of regions to search),(fits filename),(wait time at the end)

Hello Han,

I'm trying to use this tool by command line but I am having issues with field unit measurement interpretation by the tool.

In the command line I put the dimensions in radians and when the GUI starts it correctly translate them in arcminutes. But the GUI reports that is expecting the dimensions in degrees and as result it doesn't solve the field. If I do it manually with the same image, putting the setting to degrees it works like charm.

How did you solve this problem? I am using version 2.28

Thanks a lot

Nicola

Platesolve2 version 2.2.8 never failed me except you have to write the floats with a decimal point. Also the file name should not contain a comma. I think I also trim the vales from any leading space if I remember well.

Can you give a example of a command line your adding to the PlateSolve2 execution command?

p.s one weird thing is the reporting. If in Windows the decimal seperator is defined as a comma, the APM file reporting uses the komma seperator. Very difficult to decode since the values are also seperated by a comma. My stacking program ASTAP is free available to test my PlateSolve2 implementation including Pascal source.

Han

Archived